|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 38 through 74.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the same section, what does the narrator refer to when he says: "I am an amputee who still feels pain in his missing leg?"
(a) The effects of a childhood loss that continues to affect his relationships.
(b) The tendency to hallucinate the other and recreate the sense of waiting even after the relationship is over.
(c) The story of a mandarin and a courtesan.
(d) The pain of rejection that haunts him.
2. In this section, "understand your madness" is a phrase uttered by which one of the following figures?
3. Which of the following is a definition of the word "laetitia," as presented in the section by that name?
(a) A lively pleasure.
(b) A subtle pleasure.
(c) A lifelong pleasure.
(d) A forbidden pleasure.
4. In this same section, the author invokes a scene involving a letter. Which of the following describes this scene?
(a) The narrator writes a business letter instead of a love letter.
(b) The narrator opens a secret love letter addressed to someone else.
(c) The narrator describes burning his love letters.
(d) The narrator writes a love letter instead of a business letter.
5. In "To Be Ascetic," the term "askesis" is associated with which of the following acts?
(a) Self-punishment and gentle retreat.
(b) Foreign travel.
(c) Complete rejection of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "scenography of waiting" refer to?
2. How does the lover respond to accidental contact with the desired being in the section entitled "When my finger accidentally..."?
3. "Intractable/Affirmation" discusses which of the following themes?
4. In this section, how is the term "karma" defined?
5. In the section entitled "To Love Love," the term "annulment" refers to which of the following issues?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)