|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 1 through 37.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does the word "atopos" come from?
2. When does this desire affect the subject?
(a) When the subject is in a state of despair or fulfillment.
(b) When the subject is in a state of raw panic.
(c) When the subject is irritated.
(d) When the subject is bored.
3. What three things can shatter the ideal and protected Image of the lover according to the author?
(a) The loss of their looks, their lack of interest in new things, and poor hygiene.
(b) Unpaid bills, association with the mundane, and course language.
(c) Attachment to their parents and former lovers, and desire for others.
(d) Association with the commonplace, former lovers, and desire for others.
4. In "To Be Ascetic," the term "askesis" is associated with which of the following acts?
(a) Foreign travel.
(b) Self-punishment and gentle retreat.
(c) Complete rejection of society.
5. What is the slightly longer characterization the author uses to describe the different sections of the book?
(a) Figments of the imagination.
(b) Lists of terms.
(c) Literary musings.
(d) Fragments of discourse.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the narrator's asceticism addressed?
2. In the section on absence, to what early experience does the author link the subject's feelings about the absent lover?
3. According to the author, what happens to language the more one becomes enamored of a specific person?
4. In "The Tip of the Nose/Alteration," what does "the tip of the nose" refer to?
5. What failure does the author describe in the section entitled "Adorable?"
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)