|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 38 through 74.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when one speaks of love in the objective?
(a) "He" or "she" becomes "you."
(b) "You" becomes "it."
(c) "One" becomes "I."
(d) "You" becomes "he" or "she" or "one."
2. How is the heart described in the section entitled "The Heart?"
(a) As a symbol of fertility.
(b) As a tired metaphor for romance.
(c) As a pretext for intimacy.
(d) As a gift-object and an organ of desire.
3. What message does the lover hope to send through his asceticism?
(a) He wants to convince society that he is worthy of love.
(b) He wants to show off his learning to his friends.
(c) He wants to make his mother feel guilty.
(d) He wants to display his askesis as something caused by the other so that person will yield.
4. In this section, "understand your madness" is a phrase uttered by which one of the following figures?
5. What are the disadvantages of the act of annulment?
(a) The lover has to fight for autonomy and a sense of self.
(b) The lover becomes tired of constantly seeking new partners.
(c) There is a sense of claustrophobia on the part of the lover.
(d) The lover suffers from seeing the other diminished and excluded from the sentiment he or she provoked.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section, what does the lover hope to achieve by touching the other?
2. In "Agony," what forms does the feeling discussed by the author take?
3. In "What is to be done?" what problem does the author present?
4. Which of the following phrases is an example of tautology, as presented by the author?
5. In this same section, the author invokes a scene involving a letter. Which of the following describes this scene?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)