|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 38 through 74.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the lover see the other once he has established the other's atopia?
(a) As an imperfect lover.
(b) As needing his protection.
(c) As unobtainable.
(d) As the perfect lover.
2. In this section, what does the lover hope to achieve by touching the other?
(a) A response, an interplay of meaning with the other.
(b) Sympathy from the other.
(c) Compassion from the other.
(d) Understanding from the other.
3. In this same section, the author invokes a scene involving a letter. Which of the following describes this scene?
(a) The narrator writes a business letter instead of a love letter.
(b) The narrator describes burning his love letters.
(c) The narrator writes a love letter instead of a business letter.
(d) The narrator opens a secret love letter addressed to someone else.
4. What effect does the other's atopia have on language?
(a) It inspires the lover to new and better descriptions of the other.
(b) It does not have any effect on language.
(c) It makes the lover take refuge in falsehoods.
(d) It makes language indecisive and false; the other cannot be qualified.
5. In Dark Glasses/To Hide, what main subject does the author address?
(a) The lover disguises his distrust of the other.
(b) The lover wonders to what degree he should conceal the turbulence of his passions.
(c) The lover derides the other's secretiveness.
(d) The lover wonders whether he should declare his love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Agony," what forms does the feeling discussed by the author take?
2. The section titled "All the delights of the earth"/Fulfillment is a quotation from which of the following authors?
3. What is the duration of a discourse on love?
4. In Dark Glasses/To Hide, what paradox is revealed in the act of concealment?
5. In the section entitled, "I am engulfed, I succumb," the author discusses which of the following desires?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)