Pages 1 through 37
• In "I am engulfed, I succumb..."/To Be Engulfed, the amorous subject has a craving to be engulfed, or "annihilated," by emotion-whether in despair or fulfillment.
• In The Absent One/Absence, the lover transforms the loved one's absence into an ordeal of abandonment.
• Historically, the one who waits is the woman, thus the partner who waits is always feminized.
• Fear of abandonment echoes the child's fear of losing the mother.
• In Adorable, the word "adorable" is a substitute for all the attributes that the lover associates with the loved being but is unable to name or it represents a failure of language.
• Adorable becomes a kind of tautology where the adorable is what is adorable.
• Intractable/Affirmation - Against the devaluation of love, and in spite of the call of duty and of rationality, the lover affirms love as a value.
• Love is not an either...
This section contains 3,298 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)