|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lou Ann's mom's childhood doctor located?
2. How many of Lou Ann's paternal grandparent's children were deaf?
3. What was Lou Ann scared of at college?
4. What was crucial to Lou Ann's parents?
5. What was the name of Lou Ann's nosy neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
2. How was Jan's childhood different than that of her sisters?
3. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
4. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
5. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
6. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
7. What did Doris Jean's parents do to try to explain to her that she was going off to school?
8. How did Gale propose to Doris Jean?
9. What was a baby cry box?
10. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the phrase "vanilla fires" meant to Lou Ann. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that deafness played on Doris Jean and her family, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the bouts of guilt that Lou Ann went through regarding her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)