|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lou Ann's mom when she was sent to the school for the deaf?
2. Why couldn't Lou Ann's mom sing to her?
3. How did Lou Ann's family view her new school?
4. How did Lou Ann's dad feel about Lou Ann attending her new school?
5. What did Lou Ann think her parents were when she was 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
2. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
3. How did Lou Ann's paternal grandparents react when they found out that their son was deaf?
4. How did Doris Jean react when she was left at school?
5. How were Gale and Garnel different?
6. What role did Lou Ann play in her parents' lives as a child?
7. How did Doris Jean's parents react to the news that she was engaged?
8. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
9. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
10. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lou Ann felt it important to break away from home when she went to college. Discuss why she felt that way using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann and her sisters had a strong bond; discuss that bond using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Working in different capacities to help the deaf was very important to Lou Ann. Discuss this using examples from the book.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)