|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Lou Ann's dad have to drive to see her mom?
2. What color hair did Lou Ann have as a baby?
3. How old was Lou Ann's father when he became deaf?
4. How old was Lou Ann at the start of the book?
5. How many sisters did Lou Ann have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
2. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
3. How did Lou Ann's paternal grandparents react when they found out that their son was deaf?
4. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
5. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
6. How did Grandpa and Grandma Walker name their children?
7. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
8. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
9. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
10. How were Gale and Garnel different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lou Ann felt it important to break away from home when she went to college. Discuss why she felt that way using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann's romantic relationships were deeply affected by her reluctance to discuss her parents deafness. Discuss this using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lou Ann's career choices were impacted by her parents deafness. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)