|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state had Lou Ann not been east of before going to college?
2. In what state was Lou Ann raised?
3. What was the name of the person that interpreted at Lou Ann's parents wedding?
4. How many sisters did Lou Ann have?
5. What did Lou Ann call deafness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Jan's childhood different than that of her sisters?
2. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
3. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
4. What type of personality did Grandma Nellie have?
5. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
6. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
7. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
8. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
9. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
10. What transpired when a visitor came to Doris Jean's parents home when she was sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lou Ann and her sisters had very different reactions to their parents deafness. Compare and contrast their feelings using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that deafness played on Doris Jean and her family, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her life, Lou Ann had many struggles with the fact that her parents were deaf. Describe those struggles using examples from the book.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)