|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lou Ann's nosy neighbor?
2. How old was Lou Ann's father when he became deaf?
3. Where was Lou Ann's first college located?
4. Where was Lou Ann's parents wedding held?
5. What advantage did Lou Ann's parents have that most new parents didn't?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Lou Ann's name chosen?
2. How were Gale and Garnel different?
3. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
4. How did Grandpa and Grandma Walker name their children?
5. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
6. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
7. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
8. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
9. What transpired when a visitor came to Doris Jean's parents home when she was sick?
10. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lou Ann's parents were perceived by strangers because of their deafness, using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann's respect for her parents deepened as she grew older, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Lou Ann and her sisters had very different reactions to their parents deafness. Compare and contrast their feelings using examples from the book.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)