|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lou Ann's nosy neighbor?
2. What was the main thing that made Lou Ann different than her parents?
3. How many doses of meningitis medicine was Lou Ann's mom supposed to receive?
4. What was Lou Ann's maternal grandfather's name?
5. What was Lou Ann's mom's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grandpa and Grandma Walker name their children?
2. What did Doris Jean's parents do to try to explain to her that she was going off to school?
3. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
4. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
5. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
6. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
7. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
8. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
9. How was Lou Ann's name chosen?
10. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lou Ann's parents were perceived by strangers because of their deafness, using specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lou Ann's maternal and paternal grandparents reactions to finding out that their respective children were deaf, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her life, Lou Ann had many struggles with the fact that her parents were deaf. Describe those struggles using examples from the book.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)