|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many doses of meningitis medicine did Lou Ann's mom receive?
2. How old was Lou Ann's father when he became deaf?
3. How old was Garnel when it was discovered that he was deaf?
4. In what year did the depression hit Montpelier, Indiana?
5. How did Lou Ann's father break his nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
2. What was Lou Ann's third job while she lived in New York?
3. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
4. What were Lou Ann's first few weeks at Harvard like?
5. How did Lou Ann choose her first college?
6. What was the money situation like when Lou Ann was a child?
7. What did Doris Jean's parents do to try to explain to her that she was going off to school?
8. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
9. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
10. What was a baby cry box?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the phrase "vanilla fires" meant to Lou Ann. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that deafness played on Doris Jean and her family, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lou Ann's feelings about having deaf parents differed from the opinions of other children of deaf parents.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)