|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lou Ann's nosy neighbor's dog's name?
2. What book did Lou Ann's maternal grandma read about deafness?
3. What was Lou Ann scared of at college?
4. How many children did Lou Ann's paternal grandparents have?
5. What type of thinking was Lou Ann looking forward to breaking away from at college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
2. How was Jan's childhood different than that of her sisters?
3. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
4. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
5. What did Doris Jean's parents do to try to explain to her that she was going off to school?
6. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
7. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
8. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
9. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
10. Why did Lou Ann think that her parents weren't deaf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lou Ann's social relationships were impacted by her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann's Uncle Bill and Aunt Margaret played a large role in her life during her childhood. Discuss the role that they played in her childhood using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Lou Ann felt it important to break away from home when she went to college. Discuss why she felt that way using examples from the book.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)