|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Garnel when it was discovered that he was deaf?
2. How far was the school from Lou Ann's mom's home?
3. How many doses of meningitis medicine was Lou Ann's mom supposed to receive?
4. What flowers did a visitor to Lou Ann's maternal grandmothers home believe had caused Lou Ann's mom to become sick?
5. What did researchers believe was the first sense that a fetus gained?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lou Ann transfer to Harvard?
2. What was Christmas like when Lou Ann was a child?
3. How did Lou Ann choose her first college?
4. How did Doris Jean's parents react to the news that she was engaged?
5. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
6. How did Lou Ann feel when she received a letter at college from her Aunt Imogene?
7. What made Lou Ann decide to quit interpreting?
8. Why did Lou Ann feel guilty?
9. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
10. Why did Lou Ann think that her parents weren't deaf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her life, Lou Ann had many struggles with the fact that her parents were deaf. Describe those struggles using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what the phrase "vanilla fires" meant to Lou Ann. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lou Ann's life with deaf parents to how she thought her life would have been with hearing parents.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)