|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Lou Ann's mom's childhood doctor located?
2. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents feel about sending their daughter to the school?
3. What did Lou Ann say she was before she was a child?
4. What was Lou Ann's father's middle name?
5. What church were Lou Ann's parents married in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
2. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
3. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
4. How did Doris Jean's parents react to the news that she was engaged?
5. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
6. What did Lou Ann feel was the worst thing about deafness?
7. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
8. Why did Lou Ann think that her parents weren't deaf?
9. How did Doris Jean react when she was left at school?
10. How were Gale and Garnel different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the phrase "vanilla fires" meant to Lou Ann. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann's Uncle Bill and Aunt Margaret played a large role in her life during her childhood. Discuss the role that they played in her childhood using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the bouts of guilt that Lou Ann went through regarding her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)