|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of thinking was Lou Ann looking forward to breaking away from at college?
2. What was Lou Ann's mom's name?
3. What did Lou Ann say she was before she was a child?
4. What was crucial to Lou Ann's parents?
5. What role did Lou Ann play for her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Gale and Garnel different?
2. How did Doris Jean's parents react to the news that she was engaged?
3. What type of personality did Grandma Nellie have?
4. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
5. Why did Lou Ann think that her parents weren't deaf?
6. What was Doris Jean and Gale's wedding like?
7. How did Gale propose to Doris Jean?
8. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
9. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
10. What role did Lou Ann play in her parents' lives as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Working in different capacities to help the deaf was very important to Lou Ann. Discuss this using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Lou Ann's maternal grandparents and their daughter to the relationship between Lou Ann's paternal grandparents and their son.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lou Ann's parents were perceived by strangers because of their deafness, using specific examples from the book.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)