|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lou Ann's paternal grandfather's name?
2. Where was Lou Ann's first college located?
3. How old was Lou Ann's mom when she finished high school?
4. How did Lou Ann's family view her new school?
5. What was the main thing that made Lou Ann different than her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grandpa and Grandma Walker name their children?
2. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
3. What was a baby cry box?
4. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
5. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
6. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
7. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
8. What did Lou Ann feel was the worst thing about deafness?
9. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
10. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact that deafness played on Doris Jean and her family, use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her life, Lou Ann had many struggles with the fact that her parents were deaf. Describe those struggles using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Lou Ann's romantic relationships were deeply affected by her reluctance to discuss her parents deafness. Discuss this using examples from the book.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)