|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents feel about sending their daughter to the school?
2. What did Lou Ann get for Christmas at the start of the book?
3. What was Grandma Nellie's main job in her husband's business?
4. Who was Lou Ann's dad on a date with when he met her mom?
5. What was of great value outside of Lou Ann's home but little value in her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
2. How was Jan's childhood different than that of her sisters?
3. How did Lou Ann's parents feel about her going to Harvard?
4. How did Lou Ann's paternal grandparents react when they found out that their son was deaf?
5. What role did Lou Ann play in her parents' lives as a child?
6. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
7. What was Lou Ann looking forward to getting away from when she transferred to Harvard?
8. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
9. What did Lou Ann feel was the worst thing about deafness?
10. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact that having deaf parents played on Lou Ann's childhood.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lou Ann's maternal and paternal grandparents reactions to finding out that their respective children were deaf, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lou Ann's career choices were impacted by her parents deafness. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)