|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lou Ann's mom's sister's name?
2. How did Lou Ann's family view her new school?
3. How old was Lou Ann's mom when she was sent to the school for the deaf?
4. What was Lou Ann's paternal grandfather's name?
5. In what year did Lou Ann's parents meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a baby cry box?
2. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
3. What did Lou Ann feel was the worst thing about deafness?
4. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
5. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
6. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
7. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
8. What type of personality did Grandma Nellie have?
9. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
10. What did Doris Jean's parents do to try to explain to her that she was going off to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Lou Ann's maternal and paternal grandparents reactions to finding out that their respective children were deaf, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that deafness played on Gale and his family. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Lou Ann's respect for her parents deepened as she grew older, using examples from the book.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)