|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lou Ann's father break his nose?
2. What was the name of the person that interpreted at Lou Ann's parents wedding?
3. What was Lou Ann's father's first nickname?
4. What disease caused Lou Ann's mom to become deaf?
5. What color hair did Lou Ann have as a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
2. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
3. What was a baby cry box?
4. How did Doris Jean and Gale feel having someone they could finally communicate openly with?
5. How did Doris Jean react when she was left at school?
6. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
7. How did Grandpa and Grandma Walker name their children?
8. How was Lou Ann's name chosen?
9. What did Lou Ann feel was the worst thing about deafness?
10. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Lou Ann's social relationships were impacted by her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann and her sisters had very different reactions to their parents deafness. Compare and contrast their feelings using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lou Ann's life with deaf parents to how she thought her life would have been with hearing parents.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)