|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Lou Ann's dad have to drive to see her mom?
2. In what state was Lou Ann raised?
3. What test did the doctor use to determine if Lou Ann was deaf?
4. What was Lou Ann going to school for?
5. How did Lou Ann feel when attention was on her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Doris Jean's mom use to try to get her to talk?
2. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
3. How did Gale propose to Doris Jean?
4. How was Lou Ann's name chosen?
5. What were the fears when Lou Ann was born and how were those fears alleviated?
6. What did Grandpa Walker do for work?
7. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
8. How did Lou Ann's paternal grandparents react when they found out that their son was deaf?
9. What happened at the gas station on the way to Harvard?
10. How did Doris Jean react when she was left at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the bouts of guilt that Lou Ann went through regarding her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Lou Ann's maternal grandparents and their daughter to the relationship between Lou Ann's paternal grandparents and their son.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lou Ann's feelings about having deaf parents differed from the opinions of other children of deaf parents.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)