|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lou Ann's paternal grandfather's name?
2. What was of great value outside of Lou Ann's home but little value in her home?
3. How far was the school from Lou Ann's mom's home?
4. Why couldn't Lou Ann's mom sing to her?
5. What was Lou Ann's father's middle name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of personality did Grandma Nellie have?
2. What was Doris Jean and Gale's wedding like?
3. What caused Lou Ann's mother to become deaf?
4. What caused Lou Ann's father to become deaf?
5. How did Lou Ann's maternal grandparents react when they found out that their daughter was deaf?
6. How were Gale and Garnel different?
7. How did Lou Ann view deafness?
8. How did Doris Jean react when she was left at school?
9. Why did Lou Ann want to transfer away from Ball State University?
10. What did Lou Ann feel that she and her family were to the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Lou Ann's life with deaf parents to how she thought her life would have been with hearing parents.
Essay Topic 2
Lou Ann felt it important to break away from home when she went to college. Discuss why she felt that way using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Lou Ann's social relationships were impacted by her parents deafness, using examples from the book.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)