|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Vandalia in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
2. In what year is "The Phantom Brakeman" set?
3. What is the name of the sequel to A Long Way from Chicago?
4. Of whom does Grandma Dowdel say "You couldn't blast [her] off her place with a charge of dynamite" in "Centennial Summer"?
5. In what year is "Centennial Summer" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood dream is Joey Dowdel pursuing in “The Troop Train"? How?
2. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
3. How is the theme of family illustrated in “The Troop Train"?
4. How does Joey contact Grandma Dowdel in “The Troop Train"? What information does he relay to her?
5. What exchange do Mary Alice and Joey witness between Vandalia Eubanks and her mother at the Coffee Pot Cafe in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
6. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
7. When is “The Troop Train" set? Where is the story set?
8. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. What does the narrator say about John Dillinger in “Things with Wings"?
10. What fight breaks out during the parade in “Centennial Summer"? How is the fight resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and imagery in "The Troop Train." What does Joey anticipate and what does he witness when he passes through Grandma Dowdel's town? What is symbolized by this imagery? What does it mean to Joey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the antagonists in "The Mouse in the Milk." Who are the antagonists in the story? How does Grandma Dowdel outwit the antagonists? What is the outcome of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Why has Effie Wilcox left on the train in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? What actions does Grandma Dowdel take in the story to bring Effie Back? Why does she want to bring Effie back to town?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)