|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey see when his train passes Grandma Dowdel's house in "The Troop Train"?
2. What war is taking place in "The Troop Train"?
3. How late does Joe Dowdel's train leave the station in "The Troop Train"?
4. Who is the movie star that Joey describes as "sweeping the country" in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
5. Whose cow does Grandma Dowdel claim to have started the Great Fire of Chicago in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sign say that greets Joey and Mary Alice when they arrive at Grandma's town in “Centennial Summer"?
2. How does Joey contact Grandma Dowdel in “The Troop Train"? What information does he relay to her?
3. What does Mrs. Weidenbach comes to ask of Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? What is Grandma's reply?
4. What childhood dream is Joey Dowdel pursuing in “The Troop Train"? How?
5. When is “The Troop Train" set? Where is the story set?
6. What exchange takes place between Joey and Junior Stubbs by the privy in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
7. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
8. What is the ghost story that Grandma Dowdel relates in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. How is Uncle Grady Griswold described in “Centennial Summer"?
10. Why does Joey ask Grandma Dowdel for two dollars in “Things with Wings"? What is Grandma's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Effie Wilcox in A Long Way from Chicago. How old is Mrs. Wilcox? What is Mrs. Wilcox's relationship like with Grandma Dowdel? How does their relationship change in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
What does Grandma Dowdel achieve by lying to the Peoria reporter in “Shotgun Cheatham’s Last Night above Ground"? How do Grandma's actions in this story impact the town where she lives? What are Joey and Mary Alice's impressions of Grandma's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of forbidden love in “The Phantom Brakeman.” What character embody this theme? Why is their love forbidden? How do these characters overcome the obstacles that they face from the community?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)