|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time are Vandalia and Junior expected to flee aboard the Wabash Cannonball train on its brief stop in Grandma Dowdel's town in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
2. When was author Richard Peck born?
3. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
4. Who does Grandma Dowdel tell Mary Alice and Joey that the stovepipe hat in the attic once belonged to in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
5. What is the name of Junior Stubbs's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange do Mary Alice and Joey witness between Vandalia Eubanks and her mother at the Coffee Pot Cafe in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
2. What image of Grandma Dowdel is described by Joey when he sees her in “The Troop Train"?
3. How does Grandma Dowdel succeed in getting Effie Wilcox her house back in “Things with Wings"?
4. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
5. How is the theme of family illustrated in “The Troop Train"?
6. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
7. Why does Grandma Dowdel send Mary Alice and Joey to the attic in “Centennial Summer"? What do they find?
8. What noise does Joey hear from Mary Alice's bedroom at night in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. What do Joey and Mary Alice discover in Grandma Dowdel's attic in “Things with Wings"?
10. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the talent show in “Centennial Summer." Who performs in the talent show? Who wins the blue ribbon? Why is this a surprise for Joey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Ray Veech in A Long Way from Chicago. How old is Ray Veech when his character is first introduced? What stories does Ray appear in? How is his character perceived by Joey and Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of “Shotgun Cheatham’s Last Night above Ground.” In what year does this story take place? How would you describe the mood and atmosphere established through the setting in the story? Where does Grandma Dowdel live?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)