|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the rummage sale advertised when Joey goes into town in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
2. In what year is "Things with Wings" set?
3. What kind of game are the boys playing on the train in "The Troop Train"?
4. What kind of show is put on by the ladies of the United Brethren Church at the Centennial Celebration?
5. What soda does Joey describe as tasting "like cough medicine" in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
2. What noise does Joey hear from Mary Alice's bedroom at night in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
3. What image of Grandma Dowdel is described by Joey when he sees her in “The Troop Train"?
4. What does the sign say that greets Joey and Mary Alice when they arrive at Grandma's town in “Centennial Summer"?
5. What fight breaks out during the parade in “Centennial Summer"? How is the fight resolved?
6. How has Grandma Dowdel's demeanor changed in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? Why?
7. How does Joey contact Grandma Dowdel in “The Troop Train"? What information does he relay to her?
8. What is the ghost story that Grandma Dowdel relates in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
10. How is the theme of friendship developed in the stories from A Long Way from Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and imagery in "The Troop Train." What does Joey anticipate and what does he witness when he passes through Grandma Dowdel's town? What is symbolized by this imagery? What does it mean to Joey?
Essay Topic 2
What inspires Grandma Dowdel to go in search of Uncle Grady Griswold in “Centennial Summer"? How does Uncle Grady appear when Grandma Dowdel and the children arrive? Where does he live? Who does he live with?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mrs. Weidenbach in the stories. In what short story does Mrs. Weidenbach first appear? What does she solicit Grandma Dowdel's help with? How does Grandma Dowdel perceive Mrs. Weidenbach?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)