|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What initials are discovered on the quilt that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
2. What movie theater was John Dillinger leaving when he was killed?
3. When did the Great Fire of Chicago occur?
4. What was Veech's Gas and Oil before it became a garage?
5. In what year was Mrs. Weidenbach's father born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What car is sitting outside of Veech's Gas and Oil in “Things with Wings"? How does Joey describe the car?
2. What fight breaks out during the parade in “Centennial Summer"? How is the fight resolved?
3. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
4. When is “The Troop Train" set? Where is the story set?
5. How does Grandma Dowdel succeed in getting Effie Wilcox her house back in “Things with Wings"?
6. How is the theme of family illustrated in “The Troop Train"?
7. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
8. How does Joey contact Grandma Dowdel in “The Troop Train"? What information does he relay to her?
9. What exchange takes place between Joey and Junior Stubbs by the privy in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
10. What does Mrs. Weidenbach comes to ask of Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? What is Grandma's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and imagery in "The Troop Train." What does Joey anticipate and what does he witness when he passes through Grandma Dowdel's town? What is symbolized by this imagery? What does it mean to Joey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mary Alice in the short stories. How old is Mary Alice when she first visits Grandma Dowdel? How does Mary evolve as a character in the course of the narrative? What impact do the visits to Grandma's house have on Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of “Shotgun Cheatham’s Last Night above Ground.” In what year does this story take place? How would you describe the mood and atmosphere established through the setting in the story? Where does Grandma Dowdel live?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)