|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is "A One-Woman Crime Wave" set?
2. Who comes to stop Grandma Dowdel from giving away catfish in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
3. What month is it every year when Joey and Mary Alice visit Grandma Dowdel?
4. Once Grandma Dowdel has committed to entering the competition at the county fair, she and the kids make a pie every how many hours for the next three days in "The Day of Judgment"?
5. How old is Joey Dowdel during his trip to his Grandmother's in "The Day of Judgment"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the process of preparing Grandma's pie in "The Day of Judgment"?
2. What violent events occur on Mary Alice and Joey's first night at Grandma Dowdel's house in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
3. How does Grandma Dowdel describe "the truth" of Shotgun Cheatham and how he got his name?
4. What happens just before the tasting at the cooking contest in "The Day of Judgment"?
5. What does Joey ask Grandma Dowdel in the end of "The Day of Judgment"? What is her reply?
6. What story does Grandma Dowdel give to the city reporter about Shotgun Cheatham? Why?
7. Where do Joey and Mary Alice meet Aunt Puss Chapman? How is Aunt Puss described?
8. What information do Mary Alice and Joey learn about Grandma's past from Aunt Puss Chapman?
9. How is the setting of “A One Woman Crime Wave" described? How have things changed since Mary Alice and Joey's last visit to Grandma Dowdel?
10. How does Grandma Dowdel overcome her adversaries at the end of “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Grandma Dowdel achieve by lying to the Peoria reporter in “Shotgun Cheatham’s Last Night above Ground"? How do Grandma's actions in this story impact the town where she lives? What are Joey and Mary Alice's impressions of Grandma's actions?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Grandma Dowdel and Idella Eubanks in the stories. How are these women similar? How do they differ? What conflicts arise between Grandma Dowdel and Idella Eubanks? How are the conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Aunt Puss Chapman in A Long Way from Chicago. How old is Aunt Puss Chapman? What is her history with Grandma Dowdel? Why does Grandma Dowdel go to Aunt Puss Chapman's house in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)