|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joey Dowdel during his trip to Grandma's house in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
2. Where does Grandma Dowdel assert Jesse and Frank James are from in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
3. How much is the charge for a ride on the biplane at the county fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
4. What explodes outside of Grandma Dowdel's house in the beginning of "The Mouse in the Milk"?
5. What manufacturing company has a big tent set up to show huskers and combines at the county fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the process of preparing Grandma's pie in "The Day of Judgment"?
2. Where are the stories in A Long Way from Chicago set? During what time period do the stories take place?
3. What scene does Joey encounter when he rushes in because Mary Alice is screaming in the kitchen in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
4. What purpose does the novel's Prologue serve? What information is related in the Prologue?
5. What happens just before the tasting at the cooking contest in "The Day of Judgment"?
6. What does Grandma Dowdel do with her remaining fish in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
7. How does Grandma Dowdel trap the Cowgill brothers in "The Mouse in the Milk"? What does she tell Joey to do once she has them trapped?
8. How are the sheriff and Chamber of Commerce president described when Joey, Mary Alice, and Grandma encounter them after fishing in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
9. Where does Grandma Dowdel take Joey and Mary Alice to go fishing in “A One Woman Crime Wave"? How do they fish?
10. How do Joey and Mary Alice feel about their trip to Grandma Dowdel's in the beginning of "The Day of Judgment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Aunt Puss Chapman in A Long Way from Chicago. How old is Aunt Puss Chapman? What is her history with Grandma Dowdel? Why does Grandma Dowdel go to Aunt Puss Chapman's house in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Grandma Dowdel switch the labels on the pies in "The Day of Judgment"? Does Grandma Dowdel achieve her objective by committing this action? Why or why not? How does Joey perceive Grandma Dowdel's action in switching the labels?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Effie Wilcox in A Long Way from Chicago. How old is Mrs. Wilcox? What is Mrs. Wilcox's relationship like with Grandma Dowdel? How does their relationship change in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)