|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the American Western film actor that Joey cites when he hears the explosion outside Grandma's house in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
2. Who does Mrs. Weidenbach claim will take the blue ribbon with her individual cherry tarts if someone doesn't stop her in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. From what material was the Weidenbachs' home built?
4. What does Grandma Dowdel do when a snake falls into the boat in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
5. What does the new sign on the train platform say when Joey and Mary Alice get off at Grandma's in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the process of preparing Grandma's pie in "The Day of Judgment"?
2. What items do Mary Alice and Joey Dowdel bring with them on their trip to Grandma's in "The Mouse in the Milk"? Why?
3. What purpose does the novel's Prologue serve? What information is related in the Prologue?
4. What information do Mary Alice and Joey learn about Grandma's past from Aunt Puss Chapman?
5. How old are Joey and Mary Alice when they first visit Grandma Dowdel? How do they travel to see her?
6. Where do Joey and Mary Alice meet Aunt Puss Chapman? How is Aunt Puss described?
7. How does Grandma Dowdel go about baiting the Cowgill boys to her home in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
8. Why does Mrs. Weidenbach come to Grandma Dowdel's home in "The Day of Judgment"?
9. When is "The Mouse in the Milk" set? How have Joey's and Mary Alice's opinions of their yearly trip to Grandma's changed in this story?
10. What does Grandma Dowdel do with her remaining fish in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mrs. Weidenbach in the stories. In what short story does Mrs. Weidenbach first appear? What does she solicit Grandma Dowdel's help with? How does Grandma Dowdel perceive Mrs. Weidenbach?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Grandma Dowdel and Idella Eubanks in the stories. How are these women similar? How do they differ? What conflicts arise between Grandma Dowdel and Idella Eubanks? How are the conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
How does Grandma Dowdel's house and town differ from the home where Joey And Mary Alice live? How would you compare Grandma Dowdel's actions and morals with those of Joey and Mary Alice's parents? What are some morally questionable things that Grandma Dowdel does in the stories?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)