|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Joey Dowdel during his first visit to his Grandmother's in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
2. What does Grandma Dowdel send Joey to get at the store in town after Mrs. Weidenbach leaves in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. Who is the biplane pilot at the county fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
4. What is the name of the general store described downtown where Grandma Dowdel lives?
5. What does the new sign on the train platform say when Joey and Mary Alice get off at Grandma's in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the sheriff and Chamber of Commerce president described when Joey, Mary Alice, and Grandma encounter them after fishing in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
2. Where does Grandma Dowdel take Joey and Mary Alice to go fishing in “A One Woman Crime Wave"? How do they fish?
3. What is the "moral of the story" based on Grandma Dowdel's actions in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
4. What scene does Joey encounter when he rushes in because Mary Alice is screaming in the kitchen in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
5. What happens just before the tasting at the cooking contest in "The Day of Judgment"?
6. What purpose does the novel's Prologue serve? What information is related in the Prologue?
7. What does Grandma Dowdel coerce Mr. Cowgill to do to his sons in the end of "The Mouse in the Milk"? How does she coerce him?
8. How are the Cowgills described in "The Mouse in the Milk"? What business do they run?
9. How does Grandma Dowdel go about baiting the Cowgill boys to her home in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
10. How does Grandma Dowdel overcome her adversaries at the end of “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mrs. Weidenbach in the stories. In what short story does Mrs. Weidenbach first appear? What does she solicit Grandma Dowdel's help with? How does Grandma Dowdel perceive Mrs. Weidenbach?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mary Alice in the short stories. How old is Mary Alice when she first visits Grandma Dowdel? How does Mary evolve as a character in the course of the narrative? What impact do the visits to Grandma's house have on Mary Alice?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Grandma Dowdel switch the labels on the pies in "The Day of Judgment"? Does Grandma Dowdel achieve her objective by committing this action? Why or why not? How does Joey perceive Grandma Dowdel's action in switching the labels?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)