|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Iraq War.
(c) The Mexican-American War.
(d) The Korean War.
2. Who does Grandma say pieced the quilt that Joey and Mary Alice find in the attic in "Things with Wings"?
(a) Josie Smull.
(b) Effie Wilcox.
(c) Aunt Puss Chapman.
(d) Leota Shrewsbury.
3. Who is Mary Alice's dance partner at the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) Ike Cripe.
(b) Ernie Cowgill.
(c) Earl T. Askew.
(d) Ray Veech.
4. How late does Joe Dowdel's train leave the station in "The Troop Train"?
(a) An hour late.
(b) Two hours late.
(c) Thirty minute late.
(d) Three hours late.
5. How much does it cost to attend the local picture show on Wednesdays in Grandma Dowdel's town?
(a) 50 cents.
(b) 25 cents.
(c) 5 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to buy the stovepipe hat that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
2. In what year is "Centennial Summer" set?
3. What is Miz Eubanks's first name in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
4. How does Joe contact Grandma Dowdel to inform her his train will pass through her town in "The Troop Train"?
5. In what year was Mrs. Weidenbach's father born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What car is sitting outside of Veech's Gas and Oil in “Things with Wings"? How does Joey describe the car?
2. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
3. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
4. What image of Grandma Dowdel is described by Joey when he sees her in “The Troop Train"?
5. What is the ghost story that Grandma Dowdel relates in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
6. What do Joey and Mary Alice discover in Grandma Dowdel's attic in “Things with Wings"?
7. How has Grandma Dowdel's demeanor changed in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? Why?
8. How is the theme of friendship developed in the stories from A Long Way from Chicago?
9. What exchange takes place between Joey and Junior Stubbs by the privy in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
10. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)