|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What initials are discovered on the quilt that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
2. When was A Long Way from Chicago awarded the Newbery Honor?
3. Where has Mrs. Effie Wilcox gone to stay with her sister in "Things with Wings"?
(d) St. Louis.
4. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
(a) The Mexican-American War.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Iraq War.
(d) World War I.
5. Who is Mary Alice's dance partner at the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) Ray Veech.
(b) Earl T. Askew.
(c) Ernie Cowgill.
(d) Ike Cripe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Grandma Dowdel's character described physically in A Long Way from Chicago?
2. Whose framed picture hangs on the wall of the Coffee Pot Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
3. What organization in Grandma's town shows movies at their outdoor picture show in "Things with Wings"?
4. How much does Joey describe the soap "Cashmere Bouquet" as costing in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
5. How much money does Otis say Grandma Dowdel has held in the bank in "Things with Wings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Uncle Grady Griswold described in “Centennial Summer"?
2. How does Joey contact Grandma Dowdel in “The Troop Train"? What information does he relay to her?
3. How old are Mary Alice and Joey when they visit Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? How have they grown as characters?
4. What fight breaks out during the parade in “Centennial Summer"? How is the fight resolved?
5. How is the theme of family illustrated in “The Troop Train"?
6. What noise does Joey hear from Mary Alice's bedroom at night in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
7. What exchange takes place the first time Miz Eubanks comes to Grandma Dowdel's house in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
8. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
9. How does Grandma Dowdel succeed in getting Effie Wilcox her house back in “Things with Wings"?
10. What does Mrs. Weidenbach comes to ask of Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? What is Grandma's reply?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)