|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary Alice claim she found a puppy in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) At the cemetery.
(b) At the junkyard.
(c) In the cobhouse.
(d) Behind the church.
2. What movie theater was John Dillinger leaving when he was killed?
(a) The Sun Theater.
(b) The Olympic Theater.
(c) The Biograph Theater.
(d) The Orpheus Theater.
3. How old is Ray Veech in "Things with Wings"?
4. In what year is "The Phantom Brakeman" set?
5. What is Mrs. Weidenbach's nephew performing for the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) An opera solo.
(b) A piano solo.
(c) A dramatic reading.
(d) A tap routine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Vandalia in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
2. At what battle was Uncle Grady Griswold winged?
3. How much does it cost to attend the local picture show on Wednesdays in Grandma Dowdel's town?
4. What does Junior Stubbs sell in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
5. What war is taking place in "The Troop Train"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is “The Troop Train" set? Where is the story set?
2. What exchange takes place the first time Miz Eubanks comes to Grandma Dowdel's house in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
3. How is the theme of family illustrated in “The Troop Train"?
4. Where does Grandma take Joey and Mary Alice to see a movie in “Things with Wings"? What do they see?
5. What childhood dream is Joey Dowdel pursuing in “The Troop Train"? How?
6. Why does Grandma Dowdel send Mary Alice and Joey to the attic in “Centennial Summer"? What do they find?
7. How is the theme of friendship developed in the stories from A Long Way from Chicago?
8. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. What exchange takes place between Joey and Junior Stubbs by the privy in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
10. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)