|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the instructions for gentlemen on the new banner at the train station in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) "Enter the physical strength contest!"
(b) "Grow a beard or pay a fine!"
(c) "Exit to the right of the station."
(d) "Take your lady by the arm!"
2. What is one of the major recurring themes in A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) Political corruption.
3. In what year is "The Phantom Brakeman" set?
4. How much money does the Blue Plate Special cost at the Coffee Pot Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 50 cents.
(b) 25 cents.
(c) 75 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
5. Where is the rummage sale advertised when Joey goes into town in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
(a) The United Brethren Church.
(b) The St. Mary Catholic Church.
(c) The St. Edward Catholic Church.
(d) The United Episcopal Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to buy the stovepipe hat that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
2. Into what division of the military does Joe Dowdel enlist in "The Troop Train"?
3. What movie do Joey, Mary Alice, and Grandma Dowdel go to see at the movies on Wednesday in "Things with Wings"?
4. What movie theater was John Dillinger leaving when he was killed?
5. What is the name of the sequel to A Long Way from Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
2. What does the narrator say about John Dillinger in “Things with Wings"?
3. What exchange do Mary Alice and Joey witness between Vandalia Eubanks and her mother at the Coffee Pot Cafe in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
4. What does Mrs. Weidenbach comes to ask of Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? What is Grandma's reply?
5. How is Uncle Grady Griswold described in “Centennial Summer"?
6. Why does Joey ask Grandma Dowdel for two dollars in “Things with Wings"? What is Grandma's response?
7. Where does Grandma take Joey and Mary Alice to see a movie in “Things with Wings"? What do they see?
8. How has Grandma Dowdel's demeanor changed in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? Why?
9. What noise does Joey hear from Mary Alice's bedroom at night in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
10. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)