|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grandma Dowdel say her old tomcat died in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) "Got in front of the Cannonball."
(b) "Fell into the old coal mine."
(c) "Fell off the roof of the barn last July."
(d) "Got run over by a horse."
2. What kind of show is put on by the ladies of the United Brethren Church at the Centennial Celebration?
(a) A quilt show.
(b) A dramatic reading.
(c) A comedic play.
(d) A flower show.
3. What kind of game are the boys playing on the train in "The Troop Train"?
(a) A game of quarters.
(b) A game of dodge-ball.
(c) A game of poker.
(d) A game of craps.
4. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
(a) The Iraq War.
(b) The Mexican-American War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War I.
5. Who is the proprietress of the Coffee Pot Cafe?
(a) Aunt Puss Chapman.
(b) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(c) Mrs. Ike Cripe.
(d) Mrs. Effie Wilcox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a book comprised of short stories, such as A Long Way from Chicago?
2. Who from the Ladies' Hospitality Committee for the Centennial Celebration has fallen ill with "female troubles" in "Centennial Summer"?
3. How much are Vandalia's daily wages that she hands over to her mother at the Coffee Cup Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
4. How much does Joey describe the soap "Cashmere Bouquet" as costing in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
5. In what year is "Centennial Summer" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Grandma Dowdel's demeanor changed in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? Why?
2. What exchange takes place the first time Miz Eubanks comes to Grandma Dowdel's house in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
3. What does the sign say that greets Joey and Mary Alice when they arrive at Grandma's town in “Centennial Summer"?
4. How is the theme of friendship developed in the stories from A Long Way from Chicago?
5. How is Uncle Grady Griswold described in “Centennial Summer"?
6. Why does Grandma Dowdel send Mary Alice and Joey to the attic in “Centennial Summer"? What do they find?
7. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
8. How does Grandma Dowdel succeed in getting Effie Wilcox her house back in “Things with Wings"?
9. How would you describe the style of language and dialogue in A Long Way from Chicago?
10. What car is sitting outside of Veech's Gas and Oil in “Things with Wings"? How does Joey describe the car?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)