|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Joey describe the soap "Cashmere Bouquet" as costing in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 7 cents.
(b) 50 cents.
(c) 25 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
2. How much money does Joey and Mary Alice's father give them apiece before they go to Grandma Dowdel's?
(b) 25 cents.
(c) 50 cents.
(d) 75 cents.
3. How old does Mrs. Weidenbach claim her father is in "Centennial Summer"?
4. How much does Ray Veech want Joey to pay him for a full driving course in "Things with Wings"?
(a) 50 cents.
(c) 25 cents.
5. During what historical period are the stories set in A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) The Information Age.
(b) The Reconstruction Era.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) The Gilded Age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miz Eubanks's first name in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
2. Where was author Richard Peck born?
3. What term refers to a book comprised of short stories, such as A Long Way from Chicago?
4. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
5. What organization in Grandma's town shows movies at their outdoor picture show in "Things with Wings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Nehi sodas in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
2. What car is sitting outside of Veech's Gas and Oil in “Things with Wings"? How does Joey describe the car?
3. Why does Joey ask Grandma Dowdel for two dollars in “Things with Wings"? What is Grandma's response?
4. How old are Mary Alice and Joey when they visit Grandma Dowdel in “Centennial Summer"? How have they grown as characters?
5. How is the winning performance at the talent show described in “Centennial Summer"?
6. Why does Grandma Dowdel send Mary Alice and Joey to the attic in “Centennial Summer"? What do they find?
7. How has Grandma Dowdel's demeanor changed in the beginning of “Things with Wings"? Why?
8. What is implied by the conversation between Joey and Grandma at the end of “The Phantom Brakeman”?
9. What noise does Joey hear from Mary Alice's bedroom at night in “The Phantom Brakeman”?
10. What fight breaks out during the parade in “Centennial Summer"? How is the fight resolved?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)