|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Joey Dowdel during his trip to Grandma's house in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
2. In the Prologue of the book, the narrator describes Grandma Dowdel as being as "tough as" what?
(a) "An old cat."
(b) "An old boor."
(c) "An ox."
(d) "A feisty mule."
3. What railroad do Joey and Mary Alice Dowdel take when they go to visit their Grandmother?
(a) The Wabash Railroad.
(b) The Florida East Coast Railway.
(c) The Northern Pacific Railroad.
(d) The Wisconsin Central Railroad.
4. What kind of car does the narrator describe Al Capone owning in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) A red Model-T Ford.
(b) A Lincoln limousine.
(c) A Corvette convertible.
(d) A Rolls Royce limousine.
5. What baseball team's hat does Joey wear in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) The Yankees.
(b) The Red Sox.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Cubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops to use Grandma Dowdel's privy before heading home in the end of "The Mouse in the Milk"?
2. Who always enters decorative butter pats in the county fair competition, according to Mrs. Weidenbach in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. Where does Grandma Dowdel send Joey to get the Cowgills brothers' parents in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
4. What is the name of the cafe that is the center of gossip and news in Grandma Dowdel's town?
5. What grade does Grandma Dowdel say the milk delivery boy is in after he leaves in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the stories in A Long Way from Chicago set? During what time period do the stories take place?
2. What violent events occur on Mary Alice and Joey's first night at Grandma Dowdel's house in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
3. How is the setting of “A One Woman Crime Wave" described? How have things changed since Mary Alice and Joey's last visit to Grandma Dowdel?
4. What happens just before the tasting at the cooking contest in "The Day of Judgment"?
5. How old are Joey and Mary Alice when they first visit Grandma Dowdel? How do they travel to see her?
6. What does Grandma Dowdel coerce Mr. Cowgill to do to his sons in the end of "The Mouse in the Milk"? How does she coerce him?
7. What story does Grandma Dowdel give to the city reporter about Shotgun Cheatham? Why?
8. Where do Joey and Mary Alice meet Aunt Puss Chapman? How is Aunt Puss described?
9. What are Joey's perceptions of the biplane and pilot in "The Day of Judgment"?
10. Who is Grandma Dowdel's biggest opposition in the cooking contest at the fair in "The Day of Judgment"? How is this character described?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)