|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What railroad do Joey and Mary Alice Dowdel take when they go to visit their Grandmother?
(a) The Wabash Railroad.
(b) The Northern Pacific Railroad.
(c) The Wisconsin Central Railroad.
(d) The Florida East Coast Railway.
2. In what year is "The Day of Judgment" set?
3. Who are Mary Alice's best friends that she is upset about missing while she's at Grandma Dowdel's in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Evelyn and Carol.
(b) Christine and Marie.
(c) Beverly and Audrey.
(d) Sarah and Michelle.
4. What month is it every year when Joey and Mary Alice visit Grandma Dowdel?
5. According to the posted sign that Grandma Dowdel and the children encounter, who owns the land where they trespass to go fishing in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) The Piatt County Rod and Gun Club.
(b) The Ladies of the DAR.
(c) The United States Fish and Game Commission.
(d) The Winchester County Elks Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary Alice suspect her parents will go fishing while they are staying at Grandmother's in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
2. What does Grandma Dowdel win at the cooking competition at the fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. What nickname had the Thompson submachine gun gained after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, according to the narrator in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
4. Who is Grandma Dowdel's cousin that she mentions to the dairy delivery boy in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
5. Who does Grandma Dowdel claim to have given Shotgun Cheatham his name when she's talking to the reporter in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joey ask Grandma Dowdel in the end of "The Day of Judgment"? What is her reply?
2. Why does Shotgun Cheatham's death raise interest in out-of-towners in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
3. Describe the narrative style in A Long Way from Chicago. Who relates the stories?
4. What story does Grandma Dowdel give to the city reporter about Shotgun Cheatham? Why?
5. Where do Joey and Mary Alice meet Aunt Puss Chapman? How is Aunt Puss described?
6. How are the sheriff and Chamber of Commerce president described when Joey, Mary Alice, and Grandma encounter them after fishing in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
7. How does the author establish an atmosphere of the Chicago gangster scene in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
8. How are the Cowgills described in "The Mouse in the Milk"? What business do they run?
9. How old are Joey and Mary Alice when they first visit Grandma Dowdel? How do they travel to see her?
10. What happens just before the tasting at the cooking contest in "The Day of Judgment"?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)