|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Grandma Dowdel assert Jesse and Frank James are from in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
2. What is the name of the town banker where Grandma Dowdel lives?
(a) L. J. Weidenbach.
(b) Wilson Montgomery.
(c) A. G. Askew.
(d) Jerry Anderson.
3. What is the name of the dairy delivery boy in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Jack Cowgill.
(b) Peter Cowgill.
(c) L. J. Weidenbach.
(d) Ernie Cowgill.
4. How much of her homemade beer does Grandma Dowdel tell Joey to go fetch from the cellar in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) 2-3 bottles.
(b) 15-20 bottles.
(c) 25-30 bottles.
(d) 5-10 bottles.
5. From what material was the Weidenbachs' home built?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma Dowdel win at the cooking competition at the fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
2. What is the name of the cafe that is the center of gossip and news in Grandma Dowdel's town?
3. What baseball team's hat does Joey wear in "The Day of Judgment"?
4. What railroad do Joey and Mary Alice Dowdel take when they go to visit their Grandmother?
5. In what year is "A One-Woman Crime Wave" set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene does Joey encounter when he rushes in because Mary Alice is screaming in the kitchen in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
2. What purpose does the novel's Prologue serve? What information is related in the Prologue?
3. What are Joey's perceptions of the biplane and pilot in "The Day of Judgment"?
4. Where do Joey and Mary Alice meet Aunt Puss Chapman? How is Aunt Puss described?
5. What does Grandma Dowdel coerce Mr. Cowgill to do to his sons in the end of "The Mouse in the Milk"? How does she coerce him?
6. What is Grandma Dowdel doing when the children arrive in "The Day of Judgment"? What does this foreshadow?
7. What is the "moral of the story" based on Grandma Dowdel's actions in “A One Woman Crime Wave"?
8. Where are the stories in A Long Way from Chicago set? During what time period do the stories take place?
9. What items do Mary Alice and Joey Dowdel bring with them on their trip to Grandma's in "The Mouse in the Milk"? Why?
10. How does the narrator describe the process of preparing Grandma's pie in "The Day of Judgment"?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)