|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Joey describe the soap "Cashmere Bouquet" as costing in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 50 cents.
(b) 7 cents.
(c) 25 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
2. Whose framed picture hangs on the wall of the Coffee Pot Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) John Wayne's.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt's.
(c) Babe Ruth's.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's.
3. From what station does Joe Dowdel ship out for basic training in "The Troop Train"?
(a) Jackson Station.
(b) Washington Station.
(c) Central Station.
(d) Dearborn Station.
4. How does the narrator describe the food at Grandma Dowdel's house in the different stories from the book?
(a) Fine Cajun cooking.
(b) Huge and hearty meals.
(c) Haute cuisine.
(d) Sparse and tasteless meals.
5. At what time are Vandalia and Junior expected to flee aboard the Wabash Cannonball train on its brief stop in Grandma Dowdel's town in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 8:17 p.m.
(b) 11:02 p.m.
(c) 10: 13 p.m.
(d) 9:01 p.m.
6. Who does Grandma Dowdel tell Mary Alice and Joey that the stovepipe hat in the attic once belonged to in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A banker.
(d) Charlie Chaplin.
7. How does Joe contact Grandma Dowdel to inform her his train will pass through her town in "The Troop Train"?
(a) He sends her an email.
(b) He sends a message by Morse Code.
(c) He sends a telegram.
(d) He telephones her.
8. Who offers to buy the stovepipe hat that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
(a) Leota Shrewsbury.
(b) Carolyn Keene.
(c) Mrs. Weisenbach.
(d) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
9. What soda does Joey describe as tasting "like cough medicine" in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) Dr. Pepper.
(b) Coca Cola.
(c) Pepsi Cola.
(d) Orange Crush.
10. Where has Mrs. Effie Wilcox gone to stay with her sister in "Things with Wings"?
(d) St. Louis.
11. What war is taking place in "The Troop Train"?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Mexican-American War.
(d) World War II.
12. What is the name of the sequel to A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) Closer to Chicago.
(b) Home in the Hills.
(c) A Year Down Yonder.
(d) Along the Wandering Coast.
13. When was author Richard Peck born?
(a) July 4, 1940.
(b) April 10, 1934.
(c) September 2, 1910.
(d) March 12, 1945.
14. How old does Grandma Dowdel say Uncle Grady Griswold is, in "Centennial Summer"?
15. Which of the short stories from A Long Way from Chicago was first published elsewhere?
(a) “Shotgun Cheatham’s Last Night above Ground.”
(b) "The Phantom Brakeman."
(c) "The Mouse in the Milk."
(d) "The Day of Judgment."
Short Answer Questions
1. What war did Uncle Grady Griswold fight in?
2. What does Grandma Dowdel tell Joey and Mary Alice to look for in addition to historical clothes in the attic in "Centennial Summer"?
3. When did the Great Fire of Chicago occur?
4. What was Veech's Gas and Oil before it became a garage?
5. Where does Mary Alice claim she found a puppy in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)