|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what battle was Uncle Grady Griswold winged?
(a) The Battle of Boonville.
(b) The Battle of Fort Sumter.
(c) The Battle of Cerro Gordo.
(d) The Battle of Carthage.
2. Whose cow does Grandma Dowdel claim to have started the Great Fire of Chicago in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) Mr. Butler's cow.
(b) Mrs. Keene's cow.
(c) Mr. O'Neill's cow.
(d) Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
3. What is Mrs. Weidenbach's nephew performing for the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) A dramatic reading.
(b) A piano solo.
(c) A tap routine.
(d) An opera solo.
4. How is Grandma Dowdel's character described physically in A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) Bent over and decrepit.
(b) Petite and prim.
(c) Larger than life.
(d) Tall and lanky.
5. When was A Long Way from Chicago awarded the Newbery Honor?
6. Who does Grandma say pieced the quilt that Joey and Mary Alice find in the attic in "Things with Wings"?
(a) Leota Shrewsbury.
(b) Josie Smull.
(c) Effie Wilcox.
(d) Aunt Puss Chapman.
7. How old is Ray Veech in "Things with Wings"?
8. What is the brand of orange soda pop that Joey and Mary Alice cherish in the narrative?
9. When was A Long Way from Chicago published?
10. How much are Vandalia's daily wages that she hands over to her mother at the Coffee Cup Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 95 cents.
(b) 15 cents.
(c) 10 cents.
(d) 75 cents.
11. What is Uncle Grady Griswold's response when Grandma Dowdel arrives and asks him how he's been in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) "Fair to piddling."
(b) "Downright terrible."
(c) "Fit as a fiddle."
(d) "Hardy as a horse."
12. How much does it cost to attend the local picture show on Wednesdays in Grandma Dowdel's town?
(a) 50 cents.
(b) 5 cents.
(c) 25 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
13. How old does Mrs. Weidenbach claim her father is in "Centennial Summer"?
14. From what station does Joe Dowdel ship out for basic training in "The Troop Train"?
(a) Central Station.
(b) Washington Station.
(c) Jackson Station.
(d) Dearborn Station.
15. How old is Joey Dowdel when he visits his Grandmother in "Centennial Summer"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie do Joey, Mary Alice, and Grandma Dowdel go to see at the movies on Wednesday in "Things with Wings"?
2. Grandma Dowdel's unnamed town in A Long Way from Chicago is based on what actual town?
3. Who from the Ladies' Hospitality Committee for the Centennial Celebration has fallen ill with a "nervous condition" in "Centennial Summer"?
4. Of whom does Grandma Dowdel say "You couldn't blast [her] off her place with a charge of dynamite" in "Centennial Summer"?
5. When did the Great Fire of Chicago occur?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)