|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Grandma Dowdel say Uncle Grady Griswold is, in "Centennial Summer"?
2. How is Grandma Dowdel's character described physically in A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) Bent over and decrepit.
(b) Petite and prim.
(c) Larger than life.
(d) Tall and lanky.
3. What is the name of Junior Stubbs's father?
(a) Merle Stubbs.
(b) Robert Stubbs.
(c) Jack Stubbs.
(d) Peter Stubbs.
4. When was A Long Way from Chicago published?
5. What is the name of Uncle Grady Griswold's wife?
(a) Aunt Minnie.
(b) Aunt Mae.
(c) Aunt Puss.
(d) Aunt Sarah.
6. Outside of what town does Joe Dowdel wait for his train to take off in "The Troop Train"?
(b) Little Rock.
7. At what battle was Uncle Grady Griswold winged?
(a) The Battle of Fort Sumter.
(b) The Battle of Carthage.
(c) The Battle of Boonville.
(d) The Battle of Cerro Gordo.
8. Of whom does Grandma Dowdel say "You couldn't blast [her] off her place with a charge of dynamite" in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(b) Effie Wilcox.
(c) Leota Shrewsbury.
(d) Aunt Puss Chapman.
9. Who comes in to demand her daughter's wages at the Coffee Cup Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) Miz Walters.
(b) Miz Anderson.
(c) Miz Arnold.
(d) Miz Eubanks.
10. Who does Grandma say pieced the quilt that Joey and Mary Alice find in the attic in "Things with Wings"?
(a) Effie Wilcox.
(b) Josie Smull.
(c) Aunt Puss Chapman.
(d) Leota Shrewsbury.
11. In what year is "The Phantom Brakeman" set?
12. How much money does Grandma Dowdel demand the banker give to each of her grandchildren in "Things with Wings"?
(a) 50 cents.
(d) 25 cents.
13. How much does Joey describe the soap "Cashmere Bouquet" as costing in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 7 cents.
(b) 25 cents.
(c) 10 cents.
(d) 50 cents.
14. What car does Joey describe as "shimmering in her loveliness" outside of Veech's garage in "Things with Wings"?
(a) A Plymouth coupe.
(b) A Terraplane 8.
(c) A Ford Model T.
(d) A Rolls-Royce.
15. Who from the Ladies' Hospitality Committee for the Centennial Celebration has fallen ill with a "nervous condition" in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) Mrs. Cripe.
(b) Mrs. Pugh.
(c) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(d) Mrs. Keene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Grady Griswold's response when Grandma Dowdel arrives and asks him how he's been in "Centennial Summer"?
2. How much does it cost to attend the local picture show on Wednesdays in Grandma Dowdel's town?
3. Which of the short stories from A Long Way from Chicago was first published elsewhere?
4. Whose framed picture hangs on the wall of the Coffee Pot Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
5. What is Miz Eubanks's first name in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)