|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what historical period are the stories set in A Long Way from Chicago?
(a) The Information Age.
(b) The Reconstruction Era.
(c) The Gilded Age.
(d) The Great Depression.
2. Who is the proprietress of the Coffee Pot Cafe?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(b) Aunt Puss Chapman.
(c) Mrs. Effie Wilcox.
(d) Mrs. Ike Cripe.
3. What is Mrs. Weidenbach's nephew performing for the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) A tap routine.
(b) A piano solo.
(c) A dramatic reading.
(d) An opera solo.
4. Where is the rummage sale advertised when Joey goes into town in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
(a) The United Episcopal Church.
(b) The St. Mary Catholic Church.
(c) The St. Edward Catholic Church.
(d) The United Brethren Church.
5. How much are Vandalia's daily wages that she hands over to her mother at the Coffee Cup Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) 75 cents.
(b) 95 cents.
(c) 10 cents.
(d) 15 cents.
6. How much money does Ray Veech say the car costs that is sitting in front of the garage at Veech's Gas and Oil in "Things with Wings"?
7. When was John Dillinger killed?
(a) September 1, 1935.
(b) July 22, 1934.
(c) June 13, 1933.
(d) June 2, 1934.
8. How much money does Grandma Dowdel demand the banker give to each of her grandchildren in "Things with Wings"?
(a) 50 cents.
(d) 25 cents.
9. Where has Mrs. Effie Wilcox gone to stay with her sister in "Things with Wings"?
(b) St. Louis.
10. What is Miz Eubanks's first name in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
11. When was A Long Way from Chicago awarded the Newbery Honor?
12. What was Veech's Gas and Oil before it became a garage?
(a) A movie theater.
(b) A train station.
(c) A butcher shop.
(d) A blacksmith shop.
13. Whose cow does Grandma Dowdel claim to have started the Great Fire of Chicago in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
(b) Mrs. Keene's cow.
(c) Mr. Butler's cow.
(d) Mr. O'Neill's cow.
14. Who offers to buy the stovepipe hat that Grandma Dowdel brings to the rummage sale in "Things with Wings"?
(a) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(b) Carolyn Keene.
(c) Leota Shrewsbury.
(d) Mrs. Weisenbach.
15. Grandma Dowdel's unnamed town in A Long Way from Chicago is based on what actual town?
(a) Cerro Gordo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Mary Alice tell Joey she is giving to the puppy that she found in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
2. Who does Grandma Dowdel tell Mary Alice and Joey that the stovepipe hat in the attic once belonged to in the beginning of "Things with Wings"?
3. What does Grandma Dowdel tell Joey and Mary Alice to look for in addition to historical clothes in the attic in "Centennial Summer"?
4. Where does Joe Dowdel enlist in the military in "The Troop Train"?
5. How old is Joey Dowdel when he visits his Grandmother in "Centennial Summer"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)