|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe contact Grandma Dowdel to inform her his train will pass through her town in "The Troop Train"?
(a) He sends a message by Morse Code.
(b) He telephones her.
(c) He sends a telegram.
(d) He sends her an email.
2. In what year is "The Phantom Brakeman" set?
3. How old does Mrs. Weidenbach claim her father is in "Centennial Summer"?
4. In what year is "The Troop Train" set?
5. How much does Ray Veech want Joey to pay him for a full driving course in "Things with Wings"?
(a) 25 cents.
(d) 50 cents.
6. What war is taking place in "The Troop Train"?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Mexican-American War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Korean War.
7. Where has Mrs. Effie Wilcox gone to stay with her sister in "Things with Wings"?
(b) St. Louis.
8. Of whom does Grandma Dowdel say "You couldn't blast [her] off her place with a charge of dynamite" in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) Leota Shrewsbury.
(b) Mrs. Vottsmeier.
(c) Aunt Puss Chapman.
(d) Effie Wilcox.
9. When was author Richard Peck born?
(a) March 12, 1945.
(b) April 10, 1934.
(c) July 4, 1940.
(d) September 2, 1910.
10. How old is Ray Veech in "Things with Wings"?
11. How much money does Otis say Grandma Dowdel has held in the bank in "Things with Wings"?
12. What are the instructions for gentlemen on the new banner at the train station in "Centennial Summer"?
(a) "Grow a beard or pay a fine!"
(b) "Take your lady by the arm!"
(c) "Enter the physical strength contest!"
(d) "Exit to the right of the station."
13. How much money does Grandma Dowdel demand the banker give to each of her grandchildren in "Things with Wings"?
(c) 25 cents.
(d) 50 cents.
14. Whose cow does Grandma Dowdel claim to have started the Great Fire of Chicago in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
(a) Mrs. Keene's cow.
(b) Mrs. O'Leary's cow.
(c) Mr. Butler's cow.
(d) Mr. O'Neill's cow.
15. Where was author Richard Peck born?
(a) Decatur, Illinois.
(b) St. Louis, Missouri.
(c) Camden, Arkansas.
(d) New Orleans, Louisiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brand of orange soda pop that Joey and Mary Alice cherish in the narrative?
2. How is Grandma Dowdel's character described physically in A Long Way from Chicago?
3. How much money does the Blue Plate Special cost at the Coffee Pot Cafe in "The Phantom Brakeman"?
4. Who does Grandma say pieced the quilt that Joey and Mary Alice find in the attic in "Things with Wings"?
5. What is Grandma Dowdel's response to the performance by Mrs. Weidenbach's nephew at the talent show in "Centennial Summer"?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)