|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Joey Dowdel during his trip to Grandma's house in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
2. What kind of car does the narrator describe Al Capone owning in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) A Corvette convertible.
(b) A Lincoln limousine.
(c) A red Model-T Ford.
(d) A Rolls Royce limousine.
3. What organization does Joey say his father is a member of in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) The Conservation Club.
(b) The Society of Quakers.
(c) The NAACP.
(d) The Young Republican Society.
4. What does Grandma Dowdel tell the milk delivery boy she did with the milk that had a mouse in it, in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) She returned it to the dairy.
(b) She sent it to the newspaper.
(c) She fed it to the cat.
(d) She threw it out.
5. What other events are judged on the day of the cooking competition at the fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) Turtle-races and sack races.
(b) Lambs and pigs.
(c) Cattle and quilts.
(d) Chickens and frog-racing.
6. What does Grandma Dowdel send Joey to get at the store in town after Mrs. Weidenbach leaves in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) A bag of oats.
(b) A bag of sugar.
(c) A gallon of milk.
(d) A bag of cherries.
7. Who is Grandma Dowdel's cousin that she mentions to the dairy delivery boy in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Ella Richmond.
(b) Effie Wilcox.
(c) Leota Shrewsbury.
(d) Marie Jacobson.
8. What does Grandma Dowdel roll across the floor at the Cowgill brothers when they break into her house in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) A wooden nickel.
(b) A hand grenade.
(c) A roll of money.
(d) A cherry bomb.
9. What railroad do Joey and Mary Alice Dowdel take when they go to visit their Grandmother?
(a) The Northern Pacific Railroad.
(b) The Wabash Railroad.
(c) The Florida East Coast Railway.
(d) The Wisconsin Central Railroad.
10. What baseball team's hat does Joey wear in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) The Red Sox.
(b) The Cubs.
(c) The Yankees.
(d) The White Sox.
11. What does Mrs. Wilcox say has been destroyed in the night at her home in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Her mailbox.
(b) Her outhouse.
(c) Her tool shed.
(d) Her indoor plumbing.
12. How much of her homemade beer does Grandma Dowdel tell Joey to go fetch from the cellar in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) 25-30 bottles.
(b) 15-20 bottles.
(c) 5-10 bottles.
(d) 2-3 bottles.
13. What nickname had the Thompson submachine gun gained after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, according to the narrator in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) "Wind whistler."
(b) "St. Louis gunslinger."
(c) "Brooklyn bookkeeper."
(d) "Chicago typewriter."
14. What is the name of the cafe that is the center of gossip and news in Grandma Dowdel's town?
(a) The Coffee Pot Cafe.
(b) The White Horse Cafe.
(c) The Whistle Stop Cafe.
(d) The Soup Kitchen Cafe.
15. How does Grandma Dowdel describe Shotgun Cheatham when Mary Alice asks her who he was in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) "He was a priest before he left the church and died."
(b) "He was a bank robber and a horse thief."
(c) "He was just an old reprobate who lived poor and died broke."
(d) "He was a Civil War General and fought alongside Ulysses S. Grant."
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it every year when Joey and Mary Alice visit Grandma Dowdel?
2. How old is Mary Alice during her trip to Grandma Dowdel's in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. Who are Mary Alice's best friends that she is upset about missing while she's at Grandma Dowdel's in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
4. In what year is "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground" set?
5. In what year is "The Mouse in the Milk" set?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)