|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandma Dowdel lend to Mr. Cowgill to whip his sons in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) A leather strop.
(b) A thorny twig.
(c) A horse-whip.
(d) A leather belt.
2. How old is Mary Alice during her trip to Grandma Dowdel's in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. What does Grandma Dowdel tell Mary Alice that Shotgun Cheatham smelled like in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) A flower-bed.
(b) A polecat.
(c) An oil tanker.
(d) A horse stall.
4. What toy does Joey bring with him for entertainment at Grandma Dowdel's in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) A jigsaw puzzle.
(b) A baseball mitt.
(c) A jump rope.
(d) A basketball.
5. Why does Grandma Dowdel refuse to take her pie and register it at the Domestic Services tent as soon as she arrives at the fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) Because it is too cold in the tent.
(b) Because the livestock draws flies.
(c) Because she distrusts the other competitors.
(d) Because the pie will melt.
6. What is the reeking smell coming from Grandma Dowdel's cobhouse in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) Rotten meat.
(c) A dead dog.
(d) A dead man.
7. How much is the charge for a ride on the biplane at the county fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) 75 cents.
(b) 25 cents.
(d) 50 cents.
8. What does Grandma Dowdel put in the bottom of the cauldron to prevent her apple butter from sticking?
9. Who does Grandma Dowdel claim to have given Shotgun Cheatham his name when she's talking to the reporter in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) Benjamin Washington.
(b) Robert E. Lee.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
10. In what year is "The Day of Judgment" set?
11. How old is Joey Dowdel during his trip to Grandma's house in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
12. Where does Grandma Dowdel take Joey and Mary Alice to go fishing in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) Lake Mead.
(b) Crimson Creek.
(c) Jasper Creek.
(d) Salt Creek.
13. What organization does Joey say his father is a member of in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) The Conservation Club.
(b) The Society of Quakers.
(c) The Young Republican Society.
(d) The NAACP.
14. Who is described by Grandma Dowdel as the "best home-baker in the state of Illinois" in "The Day of Judgment"?
(a) Leota Shrewsbury.
(b) Rupert Pennypacker.
(c) Barnie Buchanan.
(d) Earl T. Askew.
15. In the Prologue of the book, the narrator describes Grandma Dowdel as being as "tough as" what?
(a) "An old boor."
(b) "A feisty mule."
(c) "An old cat."
(d) "An ox."
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is "A One-Woman Crime Wave" set?
2. Of Grandma Dowdel, Joey says in "The Mouse in the Milk," "You didn't want to hang around her too close, or she'd" do what?
3. What does Mrs. Wilcox say has been destroyed in the night at her home in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
4. What baseball team's hat does Joey wear in "The Day of Judgment"?
5. Where does Grandma Dowdel send Joey to get the Cowgills brothers' parents in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)