|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the rival gangster of Bugs Moran that was involved in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre?
(a) Big Jim Colosimo.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Teets Battaglia.
(d) Joey Doves.
2. What is the destination city of the train that Joey and Mary Alice take to visit Grandma Dowdel?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New Orleans.
3. Where does Grandma Dowdel's old tomcat live?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the cobhouse.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In the privy.
4. Who is the president of the Chamber of Commerce in Grandma Dowdel's town?
(a) Ernie Cowgill.
(b) O. B. Dickerson.
(c) L. J. Weidenbach.
(d) Earl T. Askew.
5. How old is Mary Alice during her trip to Grandma Dowdel's in "The Day of Judgment"?
6. What toy does Joey bring with him for entertainment at Grandma Dowdel's in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) A jump rope.
(b) A basketball.
(c) A baseball mitt.
(d) A jigsaw puzzle.
7. What does Grandma Dowdel put in the bottom of the cauldron to prevent her apple butter from sticking?
8. What is the name of the cafe that is the center of gossip and news in Grandma Dowdel's town?
(a) The Coffee Pot Cafe.
(b) The White Horse Cafe.
(c) The Whistle Stop Cafe.
(d) The Soup Kitchen Cafe.
9. How much of her homemade beer does Grandma Dowdel tell Joey to go fetch from the cellar in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) 5-10 bottles.
(b) 15-20 bottles.
(c) 2-3 bottles.
(d) 25-30 bottles.
10. What is the name of the general store described downtown where Grandma Dowdel lives?
(a) Jackson's Store.
(b) Moose's Store.
(c) Murphy's Store.
(d) O'Reilly's Store.
11. Who is described in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground" as "A real old, humped-over lady with buck teeth" and crossed eyes that had been the telling the reporter tales at the cafe in town?
(a) Alice Thompson.
(b) Mrs. Weidenbach.
(c) Effie Wilcox.
(d) Gertrude Smith.
12. Who comes to stop Grandma Dowdel from giving away catfish in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) Effie Wilcox.
(b) Ernie Cowgill.
(c) O. B. Dickerson.
(d) Leota Shrewsbury.
13. What is the name of the dairy delivery boy in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Peter Cowgill.
(b) L. J. Weidenbach.
(c) Ernie Cowgill.
(d) Jack Cowgill.
14. What does Grandma Dowdel do when a snake falls into the boat in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
(a) She snaps its neck and throws it overboard.
(b) She shoots it.
(c) She faints.
(d) She hits it with the paddle until it dies.
15. Who is Grandma Dowdel's cousin that she mentions to the dairy delivery boy in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Ella Richmond.
(b) Leota Shrewsbury.
(c) Marie Jacobson.
(d) Effie Wilcox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary Alice suspect her parents will go fishing while they are staying at Grandmother's in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
2. What kind of stew does the Anti-Horse-Thief Society sell at the county fair in "The Day of Judgment"?
3. Who is the American Western film actor that Joey cites when he hears the explosion outside Grandma's house in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
4. What kind of car does the narrator describe Al Capone owning in "The Day of Judgment"?
5. What is the "country saying" that Grandma Dowdel uses when she and the kids set out to go fishing in "A One-Woman Crime Wave"?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)