|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname had the Thompson submachine gun gained after the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, according to the narrator in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) "Brooklyn bookkeeper."
(b) "Wind whistler."
(c) "St. Louis gunslinger."
(d) "Chicago typewriter."
2. Why does Grandma Dowdel say to "Never trust an ugly woman" in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
(a) "She's got a grudge against the world."
(b) "She's likely to really be a man."
(c) "She tells stories to make herself look better."
(d) "She might be armed."
3. What is the destination city of the train that Joey and Mary Alice take to visit Grandma Dowdel?
(a) St. Louis.
(c) New Orleans.
4. What does Mrs. Wilcox say has been destroyed in the night at her home in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
(a) Her indoor plumbing.
(b) Her tool shed.
(c) Her outhouse.
(d) Her mailbox.
5. Of Grandma Dowdel, Joey says in "The Mouse in the Milk," "You didn't want to hang around her too close, or she'd" do what?
(a) "Throw a rock at you."
(b) "Start asking questions."
(c) "Give you a job."
(d) "Give you homework."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the book The Hidden Staircase that Mary Alice reads in "The Mouse in the Milk"?
2. What city do Joey and Mary Alice live in growing up?
3. Where does Grandma Dowdel's old tomcat live?
4. Who does Grandma Dowdel claim to have given Shotgun Cheatham his name when she's talking to the reporter in "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground"?
5. What kind of gun does Grandma Dowdel keep behind the woodbox?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)