|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the youngest boys in Salva's group in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Nya frown after the water begins rushing from the hole in Chapter 14?
3. About how many boys and young men from the refugee camp will be sent to America in Chapter 14?
4. What direction did Salva go when he left the first refugee camp in Kenya?
5. What color headscarf is the woman wearing that Salva believes to be his mother in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many boys does Salva lead to Kenya in Chapter 13? How is this journey described?
2. How does Salva make his way to America?
3. What does Nya learn about the crew leader in Chapter 18? Why does this surprise Nya?
4. What lesson does Salva remember whenever he becomes discouraged with his water project?
5. How does Salva's father respond when Salva introduces himself in Chapter 17?
6. Why does Salva call out to the woman in the orange headscarf in Chapater 12? What realization does he have when he does so?
7. Who is Michael and how does Salva meet him?
8. How do Nya and her fellow villagers respond when water bursts from the hole in Chapter 14?
9. How has Salva's position within the group he travels with changed in Chapter 11?
10. How does Salva almost die in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of family in A Long Walk to Water. What does family mean to Salva? What does it mean to Nya? How does the theme of family evolve in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the crossing of the Akobo Desert in the novel. How long does it take Salva's group to make their way across the desert? How do they sustain themselves? Whom do they encounter in the desert?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the island that Salva's group reaches in the middle of the Nile River and the inhabitants of this island. What do the inhabitants of the island grow for crops? What are their main food sources? Why do they disappear after eating with Salva and his group?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)