|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the processing center that Salva and the other boys are taken to in Chapter 15?
2. Where is Salva's father when Salva finds him in Chapter 17?
3. Who are Salva's older brothers that he thinks of in Chapter 13?
4. How long does it take Salva and his group of boys to reach Kenya in Chapter 13?
5. The old granddad says in Chapter 18 that the place where the pump is the location they used to gather for what in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job do the villagers begin to undertake in Nya's village in Chapter 11?
2. Who is Michael and how does Salva meet him?
3. How has Salva's position within the group he travels with changed in Chapter 11?
4. How does Jewiir's death affect Salva in Chapter 11?
5. What developments have been rumored in Nya's village after the well has been installed in Chapter 18?
6. How does Salva make his way to America?
7. How does the narrative style change in Chapter 18?
8. Where does Salva go when he reaches the refugee camp in Chapter 11? How is the camp described?
9. Who greets Salva when he arrives in America in Chapter 15? How are these characters described?
10. What does Salva learn about his family from his father in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nya's character in A Long Walk to Water. How old is Nya? Where does she live? What is Nya's family like? How does Nya's character change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Salva's relationship with Auntie in the narrative. Where does Salva meet Auntie? What does she give him? Why does Salva part with Auntie?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nya's mother dislike staying at the lake camp during the dry season? How does Nya's understanding of her mother's unhappiness affect her? How will the water pump affect Nya's trips to the lake?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)