|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is loaded on the second truck brought in by the two strangers in Chapter 12?
2. How many letters are there in the English alphabet?
3. What school is honored on the sign in Chapter 18?
4. Where is Michael from?
5. Why does Salva lead the boys walking at night in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nya and her fellow villagers respond when water bursts from the hole in Chapter 14?
2. Who explains the drilling process to Nya in Chapter 15? How is the process explained?
3. What takes place at the celebration for the well's erection in Chapter 18?
4. What does Salva learn about his family from his father in Chapter 17?
5. How many boys does Salva lead to Kenya in Chapter 13? How is this journey described?
6. How is Salva's departure from the refugee camp described in Chapter 15?
7. How has Salva's position within the group he travels with changed in Chapter 11?
8. How does Salva's father respond when Salva introduces himself in Chapter 17?
9. What lesson does Salva remember whenever he becomes discouraged with his water project?
10. Why are the refugees driven from the camp in Ethiopia in Chapter 12? How are they driven away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of water in the novel. What does water represent to Nya? How is water obtained by the main characters? What are the dangers of water that are presented in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Nya's mother dislike staying at the lake camp during the dry season? How does Nya's understanding of her mother's unhappiness affect her? How will the water pump affect Nya's trips to the lake?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Salva's relationship with Auntie in the narrative. Where does Salva meet Auntie? What does she give him? Why does Salva part with Auntie?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)