|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people die crossing the river when the refugees are driven out of Ethiopia in Chapter 13?
2. What did Salva's village want to do to honor him, believing him dead?
3. Approximately how many boys are following Salva after leaving Ethiopia in Chapter 13?
4. Where was the first place that Salva spoke in front of people regarding his water project?
5. From what tribe does Dep say the crew leader is descended in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who assists Salva in developing his objective in Chapter 17?
2. How does Salva make his way to America?
3. How many boys does Salva lead to Kenya in Chapter 13? How is this journey described?
4. How does Jewiir's death affect Salva in Chapter 11?
5. Who explains the drilling process to Nya in Chapter 15? How is the process explained?
6. What takes place at the celebration for the well's erection in Chapter 18?
7. How is Salva's departure from the refugee camp described in Chapter 15?
8. Who is Michael and how does Salva meet him?
9. Why are the refugees driven from the camp in Ethiopia in Chapter 12? How are they driven away?
10. What job do the villagers begin to undertake in Nya's village in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When does Salva's story begin? How would you describe Salva in the beginning of his story? Where does Salva live? How old is he in the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nya's character in A Long Walk to Water. How old is Nya? Where does she live? What is Nya's family like? How does Nya's character change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nya's mother dislike staying at the lake camp during the dry season? How does Nya's understanding of her mother's unhappiness affect her? How will the water pump affect Nya's trips to the lake?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)