|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Salva unable to attend school the entire year?
2. What kind of fruit does Jewiir give to Salva in Chapter 9?
3. How are Salva's injuries from the bees described in Chapter 5?
4. What is the name of the village where Salva grew up?
5. What kind of vehicle do the strangers arrive in at Nya's village in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What body of water does Salva's group reach in Chapter 7? How do they prepare to cross it?
2. How are the chapters in A Long Walk to Water structured?
3. What animals pose the greatest threat to Salva and the others as they travel in Chapter 5? Why?
4. How is water obtained when Nya's family stays at the camp?
5. What happens as Salva's group begins to roast the stork after crossing the desert in Chapter 10?
6. Why does the nurse's advice appear impossible to Nya and her mother in Chapter 8?
7. What does Jewiir do in order to keep Salva going along with the group in Chapter 9?
8. From what narrative point of view is A Long Walk to Water related?
9. How does Nya feel about the time that her family spends at the camp?
10. With whom do the strangers speak when they arrive in Nya's village in Cahpter 9? What are they presumably discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of perseverance in A Long Walk to Water. How do both Nya and Salva display perseverance in the story? What makes them persevere? How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Salva's relationship with Auntie in the narrative. Where does Salva meet Auntie? What does she give him? Why does Salva part with Auntie?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nya's mother dislike staying at the lake camp during the dry season? How does Nya's understanding of her mother's unhappiness affect her? How will the water pump affect Nya's trips to the lake?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)