|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since anyone in Salva's group has eaten as they finish their journey across the desert in Chapter 10?
2. How long has it been since Salva has seen Uncle Jewiir when they are reunited in Chapter 6?
3. What kind of fruit does Jewiir give to Salva in Chapter 9?
4. What are Salva's shoes said to be made from in Chapter 9?
5. What refugee camp is Salva's group going to in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Salva's family regarded within their community?
2. What does Auntie give to Salva before he departs in Chapter 4? Why?
3. Where does Salva flee when he leaves the school in Chapter 1? Why?
4. Who are the dwellers on the island in Chapter 8? How is this setting described?
5. What animals pose the greatest threat to Salva and the others as they travel in Chapter 5? Why?
6. Why is Auntie leaving her home in Chapter 4? Why does she not take Salva with her?
7. What are the symptoms of illness that Akeer exhibits in Chapter 10? What has caused her illness?
8. How is Marial's character described when he is introduced?
9. How is Nya's character introduced in Chapter 1? How old is Nya?
10. Why does the nurse's advice appear impossible to Nya and her mother in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Nya's mother dislike staying at the lake camp during the dry season? How does Nya's understanding of her mother's unhappiness affect her? How will the water pump affect Nya's trips to the lake?
Essay Topic 2
What is the catalytic event that sets off Salva's journey? Where in the novel does this event occur? Where does Salva go when he leaves his village? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the history of politics and conflict in South Sudan from the 1980s to today. When did the Second Sudanese Civil War begin? What caused the war? When did it end?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)