|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago has the war started, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. How many days does it take Salva's group to build enough canoes to cross the river in Chapter 7?
3. What are the names of Salva's sisters?
4. In what year does Nya's story start?
5. What are the only plants growing in the desert that Salva crosses in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom do the strangers speak when they arrive in Nya's village in Cahpter 9? What are they presumably discussing?
2. Who are the dwellers on the island in Chapter 8? How is this setting described?
3. How are the chapters in A Long Walk to Water structured?
4. From what narrative point of view is A Long Walk to Water related?
5. What is the main setting of A Long Walk to Water?
6. Why does Akeer's illness present such a threat to her?
7. What does Jewiir do in order to keep Salva going along with the group in Chapter 9?
8. Why does Nya's family stay at the camp for part of the year? Where is the camp located?
9. What is Nya doing when her character is introduced in Chapters 1 through 3?
10. How is Salva's character introduced in Chapter 1? How old is Salva when his character is introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climate of South Sudan. What are the average temperatures in the region where Salva and Nya grow up? How are the dry seasons and wet seasons characterized? What animals live in this region?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Buksa in the novel. From what tribe is Buksa? What leads Buksa to linger away from the group while they travel? How does Salva feel about Buksa?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of perseverance in A Long Walk to Water. How do both Nya and Salva display perseverance in the story? What makes them persevere? How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)