|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jewiir say likely happened to Salva's village in Chapter 10?
2. For how many months of the year does Nya's family live by the lake?
3. How long ago has the war started, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
4. What refugee camp is Salva's group going to in Chapter 10?
5. What is the name of Nya's older brother who goes with her father to hunt at the lake camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buksa stray from the group in Chapter 4?
2. How is Marial's character described when he is introduced?
3. What is the catalytic event that sets off Salva's story in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Akeer's illness present such a threat to her?
5. What animals pose the greatest threat to Salva and the others as they travel in Chapter 5? Why?
6. How is water obtained when Nya's family stays at the camp?
7. What happens at nightfall while Salva's group is on the island in Chapter 8?
8. Why does Nya's family stay at the camp for part of the year? Where is the camp located?
9. Who are the dwellers on the island in Chapter 8? How is this setting described?
10. What is Nya doing when her character is introduced in Chapters 1 through 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the history of politics and conflict in South Sudan from the 1980s to today. When did the Second Sudanese Civil War begin? What caused the war? When did it end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of irony in A Long Walk to Water. What are examples of dramatic irony in the story? How is verbal irony employed? What are examples of situational irony? How does each example serve the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of family in A Long Walk to Water. What does family mean to Salva? What does it mean to Nya? How does the theme of family evolve in the novel?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)