|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name does Salva call the woman that he encounters after he's been abandoned in Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the village where Salva grew up?
3. How does Nya get water at the camp by the lake?
(a) She uses the pump.
(b) She has to dig for it.
(c) She walks to the river.
(d) She walks to the pond.
4. How long ago has the war started, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) One year ago.
(b) Three years ago.
(c) Two years ago.
(d) Six months ago.
5. How are the traditional scars of Salva's tribe described in Chapter 3?
6. What food does the old woman give to Salva in Chapter 3?
7. How old is Nya in the beginning of her story?
8. How far is Salva's school said to be from his home in Chapter 1?
(a) Three hours' walk.
(b) An hour's walk.
(c) Two hours' walk.
(d) A half-hour walk.
9. How long has it been since anyone in Salva's group has eaten as they finish their journey across the desert in Chapter 10?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
10. When the old woman leaves for a different village, she tells Salva that no matter where he walks to go away from what?
(a) The fighting.
(b) His village.
(c) His tribe.
(d) The north.
11. How long ago had Jewiir joined Salva's group when they are reunited in Chapter 6?
(a) One week ago.
(b) Three days ago.
(c) Two days ago.
(d) Two weeks ago.
12. Why is Salva unable to attend school the entire year?
(a) He goes to the city during the rainy season.
(b) He must take care of the crops during the rainy season.
(c) He must tend to the cows during the dry season.
(d) His family moves away during the dry season.
13. For how many months of the year does Nya walk to get water for her family?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 7 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 6 months.
14. What kind of fruit does Jewiir give to Salva in Chapter 9?
(a) A banana.
(b) A tamarind.
(c) A mango.
(d) An apple.
15. How many men are collapsed in the sand that Salva's group encounters in Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Salva has seen Uncle Jewiir when they are reunited in Chapter 6?
2. How large is the group of people that arrive at the old woman's house in Chapter 3?
3. About how many people comprise Salva's group in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Nya's mother hate the camp by the lake?
5. At around what age are the boys in Salva's family sent to school?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)