Chapters 1 – 3
• A Long Walk to Water is a novel for older children and young adults written by Newbery Medal winning author Linda Sue Park.
• The novel is based on a true story and follows two storylines, both of which start out in Southern Sudan.
• Chapter1 begins in Southern Sudan in 2008.
• Going to fetch water is easier for 11-year-old Nya than coming back is; the walk will take her half the morning.
• The narrative next transitions to Southern Sudan in 1985, as 11-year-old Salva Dut sits in a classroom pretending to pay attention to his teacher, but letting his mind wander.
• Suddenly, Salva hears the sound of gunfire from outside and the teacher shouts for everyone to get down as the gunfire continues.
• Salva does not know much about the war that started two years before; he only knows that rebels from the south, where he lives, are fighting against...
This section contains 4,094 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)