|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Matter of Privacy," what did Hill say people had suspicions about?
2. Why did Hill like November so much?
3. In "Horoscope Revisited," what sign did Hill say was a merchant's dream?
4. What was wrong with Texas in November?
5. In "Mending Harness," when did Hill say he tested all his equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "Mending Harness" about?
2. In "It's Better Not to Know," what did Hill say it was better not to know?
3. In "November," why did Hill say his ideal November was impossible?
4. In "A Matter of Gravity," what kinds of things did Hill blame gravity for?
5. What analogy was used by Hill in "The Waiting Game"?
6. In "Hammers," what did Hill say he hoped his gun had been a part of?
7. In "Taking Turns," what did Hill say he did not miss about his childhood?
8. In "Wood Smoke," why did Hill say he hated wood burning stoves?
9. In "Horoscopes," what did Hill say about Geminis?
10. In "Horoscope Revisited," what did Hill say about Leos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these articles and where does it appear? How was the author's tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hill describe his ideal November, and why would it never be possible? What did this plan indicate about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Martha, and what significance did she have to Hill's life?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)