|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the primal thoughts talked about in "The Unseen Egg"?
2. In "Our World Without Shotguns," what did Hill say would not be found on menus without the invention of the shotgun?
3. In "Time . . . And This Place," what color was the symbol of hunters' estrangement?
4. In "Bass Are Not Bucketmouths," what did Hill say should never be widely shown as human-like?
5. In "Low Rod," what kind of fish was featured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a Low Rod according to Hill?
2. In "Letter to an Angler," what did Hill say fishing was about?
3. In "Lost," what did Hill say one had to do to find oneself?
4. What was "Once a Salmon Sang to Me" about?
5. How did Hill describe Martha, in "Duck Hunters' Wives"?
6. In "The Gentle Giant of Time," how did Hill prefer to chop down the dead limb and why?
7. In "The Unseen Egg," how did Hill say hunting and fishing differed from most other sports?
8. In "No, I Have Not Thanked a Green Plant Today--I've Been Busy," what kind of argument did Hill say he wanted to use?
9. In "Losing Things," what did Hill say made it impossible to find things?
10. How was "Waterfowling" different from Hill's other articles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Martha, and what significance did she have to Hill's life?
Essay Topic 2
What weaknesses did Hill have, and how did these affect his hunting and fishing hobbies?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hill use irony in his articles, and how did the inclusion of these ironies change the tone of the stories?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)