|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "I Wish I Had," what did Hill say he wished he still had from his youth?
2. In "Bass Are Not Bucketmouths," what did Hill say was dangerous to children about the syndrome he talked about?
3. In "Too Many Leaders," what did Hill say he loved mastering?
4. In "Some Other Time," what kind of painting was Hill admiring?
5. In "The Dreamer," what did Hill compare a hunting trip to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Lost," what did Hill say one had to do to find oneself?
2. What about Jake made Hill feel nervous?
3. What about Africa did Hill say he could not accurately describe?
4. What was "Time . . . And This Place" about?
5. In "Wanted: Ten-Year-Old," why did Hill say ten year old boys were better than teenage boys?
6. In "No, I Have Not Thanked a Green Plant Today--I've Been Busy," what kind of argument did Hill say he wanted to use?
7. In "The Gentle Giant of Time," how did Hill prefer to chop down the dead limb and why?
8. What did Hill say The Idler fantasized about?
9. In "Observations and Insights," what did Hill say about items marked waterproof?
10. What did Hill list in "I Wish I Had" ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hill tried to be an objective observer of nature. How did this objectivity affect his writing?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these articles and where does it appear? How was the author's tone altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of Hill's life, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)