|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important reason for the young painter's misery?
2. How does a person suffering from alienation of a limb think about that part of his body?
3. Following his second fall, how long did Sacks wait before surgery was performed
4. As Sacks returned to his room, what was the weather like?
5. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What aspect of nature had Sacks forgotten about while he lay in his hospital bed? How does this compare to his previous lifestyle: hiking, swimming, etc?
Essay Topic 2
What role does sight play in Sacks's story? When is his sight best and worst? What affects his sight? How do his eyes serve as symbols of his leg's injury and recovery?
Essay Topic 3
Write full personality sketches of these three people: Nurse Solveig, Dr. Swan, and Miss Preston. What role does each person play in the recovery? What is Sacks's opinion of each? In what ways does each person hinder or help Sacks?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)