Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the convalescent home, what did Sacks's first breakfast partner find amusing?
2. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
3. What was Sacks's general opinion about the patients in the convalescent home?
4. Previous to his accident, how did Sacks think things were accomplished in the world?
5. While under the spinal anesthesia, how did Sacks perceive his body?
Essay Topic 1
"I was rather pleased to be compared with a dog--I much preferred it to being called 'unique.' And it brought home something about the elemental nature of the animal soul and animal motion, and about spontaneity, musicality, animation" (Chapter Six, pg 194). Explain this quote: when was Sacks compared with a dog? When was he referred to as unique? What element of movement and music was contained in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sacks describe his first ten minutes of walking again (Chapter Five, pgs 123-24)? How did this return him to the moment of humanity? How does this compare to Donne's quote at the beginning of Chapter Two?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)