|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As noted at the end of Chapter Three, what did Sacks begin to do?
2. Who, in Sacks's family, had worked closely with Head?
3. According to Kant, how does a man stand in relation to the world?
4. Sacks did not attend the memorial service for W. H. Auden because he thought he was too weak to travel. Where was this service held?
5. Montaigne, Kant, and Einstein all agree that there is no substitute for what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What vital support did the surgeon take away when he dismissed Sacks's concerns? When was this support returned? How did Sacks change his career so that he could give this particular support to the patients he treated?
Essay Topic 2
What aspect of nature had Sacks forgotten about while he lay in his hospital bed? How does this compare to his previous lifestyle: hiking, swimming, etc?
Essay Topic 3
How often does Sacks talk about or subtly reveal the dichotomy between his medical education and his experience as a patient? How does this honesty contribute to his persona as a writer?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)