|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sacks first entered into the field of neurology, what excited him most?
2. In the convalescent home, what did Sacks's first breakfast partner find amusing?
3. Why did Sacks sit looking out the window for hours on end?
4. What was the oddest thing that happened while Sacks's shoulder and arm were in a cast?
5. In Montaigne's words, who is a true doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What two distinctions did Sacks make for his attitudes while he was in Limbo? How were these distinctions borne out throughout his recovery (though he didn't allude to them so obviously after his time in Limbo)?
Essay Topic 2
What would have made the state of Limbo tolerable? What parts did the ideas of "hole" and "Hell" play in this state? Did scotoma lead to Limbo or explain it?
Essay Topic 3
What vital support did the surgeon take away when he dismissed Sacks's concerns? When was this support returned? How did Sacks change his career so that he could give this particular support to the patients he treated?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)