|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sacks's knee return to its full functionality?
2. What concerto did Sacks listen to on a cassette tape?
3. When Sacks talks about the hole in memory and identity, what is he referring to (Afterword, pg 200)?
4. How did one of the surgical registrars refer to being a patient?
5. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
Essay Topic 2
As Sacks was being pressured to begin walking, what miracle occurred? How was this miracle the same thing he had been working toward since his accident?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world of the convalescent home. How did Sacks change and grow stronger here? What did he learn about himself? How did the convalescent home allow him to approach the world again?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)