|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Sacks give for hating any creature with health?
2. Why did Sacks sit looking out the window for hours on end?
3. To what does Einstein compare creating a new theory?
4. What is Hannah Arendt's idea about the space without time?
5. What important concept did Sacks find in Kant's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On what did Sacks pin his hopes of recovery? How does this describe his mentality? How does it describe his attitude?
Essay Topic 2
"I was rather pleased to be compared with a dog--I much preferred it to being called 'unique.' And it brought home something about the elemental nature of the animal soul and animal motion, and about spontaneity, musicality, animation" (Chapter Six, pg 194). Explain this quote: when was Sacks compared with a dog? When was he referred to as unique? What element of movement and music was contained in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)