|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important concept did Sacks find in Kant's writing?
2. Sacks references a chapter in Luria's book The Man with a Shattered World that profoundly affected his thoughts about recovery. What was the name of this chapter?
3. What color did Head attribute to neurology?
4. When Sacks first entered into the field of neurology, what excited him most?
5. For people with hemi-inattention, what does "anosognosis" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What vital support did the surgeon take away when he dismissed Sacks's concerns? When was this support returned? How did Sacks change his career so that he could give this particular support to the patients he treated?
Essay Topic 2
How often does Sacks talk about or subtly reveal the dichotomy between his medical education and his experience as a patient? How does this honesty contribute to his persona as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)