|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important concept did Sacks find in Kant's writing?
2. Why were the set times and limits at the convalescent home important?
3. What vital change in the world happened once Sacks moved out of his first hospital room?
4. When moving out of his tiny hospital room, why did Sacks see the world as two-dimensional?
5. What was the name of the convalescent home where Sacks recovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sacks use dialogue throughout the story? How is the dialogue divided among the people in his life? What are the varying tones of the dialogue? What does the use of dialogue contribute to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What would have made the state of Limbo tolerable? What parts did the ideas of "hole" and "Hell" play in this state? Did scotoma lead to Limbo or explain it?
Essay Topic 3
Sacks says that during his descent from the mountain, his awkward way of moving became natural (Chapter One, pg 10). He stopped thinking about it as the action became automatic. In what ways is this phenomenon exhibited throughout the book?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)