|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sacks refer to the doctor's visits as "odious" (Chapter Six, pg 159)?
2. For people with hemi-inattention, what does "anosognosis" mean?
3. How many days did Sacks spend in limbo?
4. What word does Nietzsche use to describe the feeling that convalescence brings?
5. Sacks did not attend the memorial service for W. H. Auden because he thought he was too weak to travel. Where was this service held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
Essay Topic 2
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sacks describe his first ten minutes of walking again (Chapter Five, pgs 123-24)? How did this return him to the moment of humanity? How does this compare to Donne's quote at the beginning of Chapter Two?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)