|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the quote about patient waiting, why must the person not think?
2. How much did Sacks walk the day after his second surgery?
3. What word does Nietzsche use to describe the feeling that convalescence brings?
4. Sacks references a chapter in Luria's book The Man with a Shattered World that profoundly affected his thoughts about recovery. What was the name of this chapter?
5. To what does Sacks compare the coming revolution in neurology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
Essay Topic 2
Note Dr. Swan's attitude toward Sacks's injury compared to Sacks's attitude. How do they differ? In Sacks's attitude toward his own injury, what are the elements of a physician? What are the elements of a patient? What does he think of Dr. Swan's professional opinion?
Essay Topic 3
"We have art, in order that we may not perish from the truth" (Nietzsche, Chapter Three, pg 89). Why did Sacks believe this? How did he incorporate this idea into his recovery?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)