|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sacks's knee return to its full functionality?
2. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
3. What did Sacks hope to accomplish by reading Head's books?
4. What instrument did Sacks have for listening to music?
5. How many days did Sacks spend in limbo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does sight play in Sacks's story? When is his sight best and worst? What affects his sight? How do his eyes serve as symbols of his leg's injury and recovery?
Essay Topic 2
What was Sacks's opinion of his leg while it was in the cast? Why did he have this opinion? Given what he says about his second injury some ten years later, how might he have changed this errant perception of his left leg in a cast?
Essay Topic 3
"I was rather pleased to be compared with a dog--I much preferred it to being called 'unique.' And it brought home something about the elemental nature of the animal soul and animal motion, and about spontaneity, musicality, animation" (Chapter Six, pg 194). Explain this quote: when was Sacks compared with a dog? When was he referred to as unique? What element of movement and music was contained in this situation?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)