|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important reason for the young painter's misery?
2. According to Sacks, what was "the only proper posture of the soul at this time" (Chapter Three, pg 113)?
3. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
4. Sacks did not attend the memorial service for W. H. Auden because he thought he was too weak to travel. Where was this service held?
5. What reason did Sacks give for hating any creature with health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the world of the convalescent home. How did Sacks change and grow stronger here? What did he learn about himself? How did the convalescent home allow him to approach the world again?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Sacks achieve the certainty which "bypassed the most complex mathematics" (Chapter Five, pg 121)? Was there any element of divinity in this certainty? How did this certainty relate to his idea of the world as a whole?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)