|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the convalescent home, what did Sacks's first breakfast partner find amusing?
2. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
3. What was Sacks's general opinion about the patients in the convalescent home?
4. Previous to his accident, how did Sacks think things were accomplished in the world?
5. While under the spinal anesthesia, how did Sacks perceive his body?
Essay Topic 1
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
Essay Topic 2
What two distinctions did Sacks make for his attitudes while he was in Limbo? How were these distinctions borne out throughout his recovery (though he didn't allude to them so obviously after his time in Limbo)?
Essay Topic 3
What would have made the state of Limbo tolerable? What parts did the ideas of "hole" and "Hell" play in this state? Did scotoma lead to Limbo or explain it?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)