|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sacks's general opinion about the patients in the convalescent home?
2. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
3. Previous to this injury, when Sacks had had electrical currents applied to his injured neck muscles, what happened?
4. What is the most important reason for the young painter's misery?
5. While in limbo, what feeling did Sacks have to allow, which he first found humiliating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Sacks achieve the certainty which "bypassed the most complex mathematics" (Chapter Five, pg 121)? Was there any element of divinity in this certainty? How did this certainty relate to his idea of the world as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Write full personality sketches of these three people: Nurse Solveig, Dr. Swan, and Miss Preston. What role does each person play in the recovery? What is Sacks's opinion of each? In what ways does each person hinder or help Sacks?
Essay Topic 3
What vital support did the surgeon take away when he dismissed Sacks's concerns? When was this support returned? How did Sacks change his career so that he could give this particular support to the patients he treated?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)