|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sacks talks about the hole in memory and identity, what is he referring to (Afterword, pg 200)?
2. Sacks did not attend the memorial service for W. H. Auden because he thought he was too weak to travel. Where was this service held?
3. Why did Sacks sit looking out the window for hours on end?
4. What escapade did Sacks try to pull during his last night in the hospital?
5. Sacks references a chapter in Luria's book The Man with a Shattered World that profoundly affected his thoughts about recovery. What was the name of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Sacks was being pressured to begin walking, what miracle occurred? How was this miracle the same thing he had been working toward since his accident?
Essay Topic 2
What role does sight play in Sacks's story? When is his sight best and worst? What affects his sight? How do his eyes serve as symbols of his leg's injury and recovery?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)