|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What escapade did Sacks try to pull during his last night in the hospital?
2. What happened to Sacks's writing style when he was forced to write with his left hand?
3. When moving out of his tiny hospital room, why did Sacks see the world as two-dimensional?
4. According to Kant, how does a man stand in relation to the world?
5. Why were the set times and limits at the convalescent home important?
Essay Topic 1
Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
Essay Topic 2
What role does sight play in Sacks's story? When is his sight best and worst? What affects his sight? How do his eyes serve as symbols of his leg's injury and recovery?
Essay Topic 3
Note Dr. Swan's attitude toward Sacks's injury compared to Sacks's attitude. How do they differ? In Sacks's attitude toward his own injury, what are the elements of a physician? What are the elements of a patient? What does he think of Dr. Swan's professional opinion?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)