|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sacks's knee return to its full functionality?
2. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
3. As the Sister took the stitches out of Sacks's leg, what did he think?
4. According to Kant, how does a man stand in relation to the world?
5. When Sacks first entered into the field of neurology, what excited him most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How often does Sacks talk about or subtly reveal the dichotomy between his medical education and his experience as a patient? How does this honesty contribute to his persona as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sacks describe his first ten minutes of walking again (Chapter Five, pgs 123-24)? How did this return him to the moment of humanity? How does this compare to Donne's quote at the beginning of Chapter Two?
Essay Topic 3
What two distinctions did Sacks make for his attitudes while he was in Limbo? How were these distinctions borne out throughout his recovery (though he didn't allude to them so obviously after his time in Limbo)?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)