|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he took a step, what visual problem did Sacks have?
2. What word does Nietzsche use to describe the feeling that convalescence brings?
3. Sacks was excited about buying books written by a man named Head. What was the author's first name?
4. What group of people did Weir Mitchell write about?
5. When Sacks first entered into the field of neurology, what excited him most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks says that during his descent from the mountain, his awkward way of moving became natural (Chapter One, pg 10). He stopped thinking about it as the action became automatic. In what ways is this phenomenon exhibited throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What was Sacks's opinion of his leg while it was in the cast? Why did he have this opinion? Given what he says about his second injury some ten years later, how might he have changed this errant perception of his left leg in a cast?
Essay Topic 3
Note Dr. Swan's attitude toward Sacks's injury compared to Sacks's attitude. How do they differ? In Sacks's attitude toward his own injury, what are the elements of a physician? What are the elements of a patient? What does he think of Dr. Swan's professional opinion?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)