|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
2. Following the book fair, why did Sacks take the slow train from Boston to New York?
3. What was the name of the convalescent home where Sacks recovered?
4. What escapade did Sacks try to pull during his last night in the hospital?
5. At what moment did Sacks's leg "return" to his body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks says that during his descent from the mountain, his awkward way of moving became natural (Chapter One, pg 10). He stopped thinking about it as the action became automatic. In what ways is this phenomenon exhibited throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Write full personality sketches of these three people: Nurse Solveig, Dr. Swan, and Miss Preston. What role does each person play in the recovery? What is Sacks's opinion of each? In what ways does each person hinder or help Sacks?
Essay Topic 3
"I was rather pleased to be compared with a dog--I much preferred it to being called 'unique.' And it brought home something about the elemental nature of the animal soul and animal motion, and about spontaneity, musicality, animation" (Chapter Six, pg 194). Explain this quote: when was Sacks compared with a dog? When was he referred to as unique? What element of movement and music was contained in this situation?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)