|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If an outsider were to observe the patients at the convalescent home, what would he have seen?
2. According to Head, when dealing with body alienation, what is of "fundamental importance" (Chapter Seven, pg 200)?
3. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
4. Following the book fair, why did Sacks take the slow train from Boston to New York?
5. Why did Sacks find beauty as well as fear in darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What role does sight play in Sacks's story? When is his sight best and worst? What affects his sight? How do his eyes serve as symbols of his leg's injury and recovery?
Essay Topic 2Note Dr. Swan's attitude toward Sacks's injury compared to Sacks's attitude. How do they differ? In Sacks's attitude toward his own injury, what are the elements of a physician? What are the elements of a patient? What does he think of Dr. Swan's professional opinion?
Essay Topic 3Following the surgery, Sacks's spirit entered into the "dark night of the soul" (Chapter Three, pg 86). Find another example of this in literature and compare the two instances. Analyze personalities, situations, and reactions in order to understand both.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)