|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hospital gardens, what set patients off from non-patients?
2. Why did Sacks find beauty as well as fear in darkness?
3. Why was Sacks sent to a convalescent home before going home?
4. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
5. Previous to his accident, how did Sacks think things were accomplished in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Sacks's opinion of his leg while it was in the cast? Why did he have this opinion? Given what he says about his second injury some ten years later, how might he have changed this errant perception of his left leg in a cast?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the world of the convalescent home. How did Sacks change and grow stronger here? What did he learn about himself? How did the convalescent home allow him to approach the world again?
Essay Topic 3
"We have art, in order that we may not perish from the truth" (Nietzsche, Chapter Three, pg 89). Why did Sacks believe this? How did he incorporate this idea into his recovery?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)