Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the convalescent home, what did Sacks's first breakfast partner find amusing?
2. While watching the surgery on his right leg, what time does Sacks remember?
3. What was Sacks's general opinion about the patients in the convalescent home?
4. Previous to his accident, how did Sacks think things were accomplished in the world?
5. While under the spinal anesthesia, how did Sacks perceive his body?
Essay Topic 1
How does Sacks describe his first ten minutes of walking again (Chapter Five, pgs 123-24)? How did this return him to the moment of humanity? How does this compare to Donne's quote at the beginning of Chapter Two?
Essay Topic 2
Note Dr. Swan's attitude toward Sacks's injury compared to Sacks's attitude. How do they differ? In Sacks's attitude toward his own injury, what are the elements of a physician? What are the elements of a patient? What does he think of Dr. Swan's professional opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world of the convalescent home. How did Sacks change and grow stronger here? What did he learn about himself? How did the convalescent home allow him to approach the world again?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)