|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day that Sacks moved out of his first hospital room, how far did he walk?
2. What did Sacks hope to accomplish by reading Head's books?
3. How many days did Sacks spend in limbo?
4. On one particular September morning, why did Sacks deeply enjoy lighting his pipe?
5. Following his second fall, how long did Sacks wait before surgery was performed
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacks says that during his descent from the mountain, his awkward way of moving became natural (Chapter One, pg 10). He stopped thinking about it as the action became automatic. In what ways is this phenomenon exhibited throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
"We have art, in order that we may not perish from the truth" (Nietzsche, Chapter Three, pg 89). Why did Sacks believe this? How did he incorporate this idea into his recovery?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)