|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Four, what is the essence of William Harvey's questions?
2. How much did Sacks walk the day after his second surgery?
3. What word does Nietzsche use to describe the feeling that convalescence brings?
4. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
5. What two sounds was Sacks caught between?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How often does Sacks talk about or subtly reveal the dichotomy between his medical education and his experience as a patient? How does this honesty contribute to his persona as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sacks use dialogue throughout the story? How is the dialogue divided among the people in his life? What are the varying tones of the dialogue? What does the use of dialogue contribute to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What vital support did the surgeon take away when he dismissed Sacks's concerns? When was this support returned? How did Sacks change his career so that he could give this particular support to the patients he treated?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)