|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Sacks walk the day after his second surgery?
2. According to Kant, how does a man stand in relation to the world?
3. During his recovery, what did Sacks decide was the most important thing of all?
4. As Sacks returned to his room, what was the weather like?
5. What reason did Sacks give for hating any creature with health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Sacks achieve the certainty which "bypassed the most complex mathematics" (Chapter Five, pg 121)? Was there any element of divinity in this certainty? How did this certainty relate to his idea of the world as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
What is the main point of A Leg to Stand On? In other words, what does Sacks most want his readers to learn? How does he illustrate or argue for this point throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What two distinctions did Sacks make for his attitudes while he was in Limbo? How were these distinctions borne out throughout his recovery (though he didn't allude to them so obviously after his time in Limbo)?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)