|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first visit home, what type of religious ceremony did Sacks attend with his family?
(b) New Age.
2. Once the cast was removed, Sacks gingerly touched his leg. How did it feel?
(a) Like pudding.
(b) Like wax.
(c) Like marble.
(d) Like flesh.
3. What advantage did the mystics and metaphysical poets offer?
(a) Vivid pictures of the abstract concepts which Sacks sought.
(b) Deep expressions of despair.
(c) Hope without a specific religion.
(d) Beautiful language to express hope.
4. If an outsider were to observe the patients at the convalescent home, what would he have seen?
(a) Depth and secrecy.
(b) Lightheartedness and frivolity.
(c) Darkness and secrecy.
(d) Artificial friendships.
5. Why did Sacks sit looking out the window for hours on end?
(a) He was realizing how cut off from life he was.
(b) He was starved to look at anything green.
(c) He was tired of his hospital room.
(d) He was eager to see other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the set times and limits at the convalescent home important?
2. What happened to Sacks's writing style when he was forced to write with his left hand?
3. What vital change in the world happened once Sacks moved out of his first hospital room?
4. When Sacks talks about the hole in memory and identity, what is he referring to (Afterword, pg 200)?
5. According to Sacks, what was "the only proper posture of the soul at this time" (Chapter Three, pg 113)?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)