|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the convalescent home where Sacks recovered?
(a) Because, if he has strong familial support, the world's shrinking does not matter.
(b) Because his frame of reference has also shrunk.
(c) Because his mental faculties are not engaged in the world around him.
(d) Because he is caught up in the intricacies of his disease.
2. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
(b) St. John of the Cross.
3. According to Kant, how does a man stand in relation to the world?
(a) In the world's experience.
(b) In his own experience.
(c) In context of other people's experience.
(d) In context of his unique personality.
4. In the hospital gardens, what set patients off from non-patients?
(a) Their demeanor of illness.
(b) Their attitude toward other people.
(c) Their white hospital gowns.
(d) Their various bandages and stitches.
5. How must a person react to the abyss?
(a) Either face it or walk away.
(b) Skirt its edge without falling in.
(c) Ignore it.
(d) Search it for answers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Sacks tried to revive his left leg?
2. Why did Sacks find beauty as well as fear in darkness?
3. Following the book fair, why did Sacks take the slow train from Boston to New York?
4. How did one of the surgical registrars refer to being a patient?
5. At what moment did Sacks's leg "return" to his body?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)