|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What escapade did Sacks try to pull during his last night in the hospital?
(a) Walking around the grounds unattended.
(b) Climbing a ladder to the roof.
(c) Asking the night nurse out for a drink.
(d) Walking the edge of his second-story balcony.
2. During his recovery, what did Sacks decide was the most important thing of all?
3. What instrument did Sacks have for listening to music?
(a) An MP3 player.
(b) A record player.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A small radio.
4. According to Sacks, what was "the only proper posture of the soul at this time" (Chapter Three, pg 113)?
(c) Passivity and patience.
(d) Action and prayer.
5. Sacks did not attend the memorial service for W. H. Auden because he thought he was too weak to travel. Where was this service held?
(a) St. Martin-in-the-Field.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(d) Westminster Abbey.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
2. Sacks had written to Luria explaining his accident and the subsequent alienation he felt. What was Luria's response?
3. How must a person react to the abyss?
4. What happened to Sacks's writing style when he was forced to write with his left hand?
5. Following his second fall, how long did Sacks wait before surgery was performed
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)