|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in limbo, what feeling did Sacks have to allow, which he first found humiliating?
2. Previous to his accident, how did Sacks think things were accomplished in the world?
(a) By external impetus.
(b) By sheer willpower.
(c) By love and understanding.
(d) By reason and will.
3. What was the oddest thing that happened while Sacks's shoulder and arm were in a cast?
(a) He forgot that he had ever had them.
(b) Their nerve endings no longer responded to stimuli.
(c) He could no longer feel their presence.
(d) They gave him constant pain.
4. If an outsider were to observe the patients at the convalescent home, what would he have seen?
(a) Depth and secrecy.
(b) Darkness and secrecy.
(c) Artificial friendships.
(d) Lightheartedness and frivolity.
5. What advantage did the mystics and metaphysical poets offer?
(a) Deep expressions of despair.
(b) Vivid pictures of the abstract concepts which Sacks sought.
(c) Hope without a specific religion.
(d) Beautiful language to express hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sacks talks about the hole in memory and identity, what is he referring to (Afterword, pg 200)?
2. In Montaigne's words, who is a true doctor?
3. Sacks had written to Luria explaining his accident and the subsequent alienation he felt. What was Luria's response?
4. At what moment did Sacks's leg "return" to his body?
5. Sacks was excited about buying books written by a man named Head. What was the author's first name?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)