|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did Sacks spend in his small hospital room?
2. What is Hannah Arendt's idea about the space without time?
(a) It is the only place to meet God.
(b) It is the only home of Soul and Art.
(c) It is the place where Man must face himself most chillingly.
(d) It is the place where Man is not himself.
3. Previous to this injury, when Sacks had had electrical currents applied to his injured neck muscles, what happened?
(a) He felt shooting pains in his back.
(b) His neck muscles had remained tense and nearly immobile.
(c) His neck muscles immediately relaxed.
(d) He had the undeniable impulse to shrug.
4. What vital change in the world happened once Sacks moved out of his first hospital room?
(a) He felt distant from the other patients though he had expected to feel closer.
(b) He became part of a community again.
(c) He reinforced his individuality.
(d) He was intimidated by the vastness of the world.
5. As the Sister took the stitches out of Sacks's leg, what did he think?
(a) That he could not wait to go hiking again.
(b) That she was fiddling around.
(c) That she was not being gentle.
(d) That she was being gentle but the procedure still hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sacks first entered into the field of neurology, what excited him most?
2. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
3. Following the book fair, why did Sacks take the slow train from Boston to New York?
4. How has Sacks always liked to think of himself?
5. The day that Sacks moved out of his first hospital room, how far did he walk?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)