|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to escape being caught on the mountain all night, what was the latest possible time Sacks could reach help?
(a) Ten o'clock PM.
(b) Eight o'clock PM.
(c) Nine o'clock PM.
(d) Six o'clock PM.
2. When the father and his son rescued Sacks, what had they been doing just a moment before?
(a) Listening to the mass wafting up from the church.
(b) Hunting reindeer.
(d) Searching for him.
3. Where did Sacks's accident occur?
(a) On a mountain in Finland.
(b) In the hills of Germany.
(c) In the Swiss Alps.
(d) On a mountain in Norway.
4. When was Studies in Neurology published?
5. Shortly after the sun set, what extraordinary auditory experience did Sacks have?
(a) He could hear the movement of the plants around him.
(b) He could not hear anything outside himself.
(c) He could hear every living creature in the area.
(d) He could no longer hear himself.
6. Who inspired and encouraged Sacks to finish his book?
(a) His wife.
(b) His editors.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His son.
7. How long did Sacks wait before villagers carried him to the hospital?
(a) Less than two hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Nearly six hours.
(d) Less than four hours.
8. What did Sacks find astonishing about his wound?
(a) The complexity of effects he experienced during recovery.
(b) The pain he felt during his whole recovery.
(c) The inability of his doctors to understand him.
(d) The long recovery time.
9. What does the word scotoma mean?
(a) The depression following surgery.
(b) Darkness of soul.
(c) Emptiness and images of emptiness.
(d) Being utterly alone in the world.
10. What emotion did Sacks see several times on the unguarded face of the physiotherapist?
11. Who wrote the book which was the model for Sacks's own book?
12. What did Sacks think about as he moved down the mountain?
(a) The most heart-wrenching moments of his life.
(b) His father's vegetable garden.
(c) What little time he had left to live.
(d) Happy memories and times.
13. Why did the staff nurse laugh at Sacks when he arrived in his room?
(a) Because he was joking about his cast.
(b) Because he told her a bawdy joke.
(c) Because he had packed fifty books and almost no clothes.
(d) Because he had difficulty walking.
14. In what publication did Sacks's first article about his injury appear?
(a) New York Times.
(b) London Review of Books.
(c) Atlantic Monthly.
(d) New York Times Book Review.
15. When did Sacks begin writing to Luria?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter One?
2. What question did Sacks want to ask the surgeon before surgery?
3. What instrument did Sacks have for listening to music?
4. According to Sacks, why does he not end his story after his rescue?
5. To what poor instrument did Sacks compare his injured leg?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)