|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sacks write to A. R. Luria?
(a) Luria was the leading neuropsychologist in the United States.
(b) He was not getting satisfactory answers from his own doctor.
(c) He wanted reassurance about writing his book.
(d) Luria was a close family friend.
2. When Sacks began to write to Luria, where did Luria live?
3. Who came up with the phrase "quickening art" which described Sacks's use of music to move down the mountain?
4. What instrument did Sacks have for listening to music?
(a) A record player.
(b) A small radio.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) An MP3 player.
5. What would happen if Sacks were not found by nightfall?
(a) He would freeze to death.
(b) The bull would trample him to death.
(c) He would die of blood loss.
(d) He would most likely go crazy.
6. What question did Sacks want to ask the surgeon before surgery?
(a) Whether he could have a spinal anesthesia.
(b) Whether he could have someone photograph the surgery.
(c) Whether he could have a general anesthesia.
(d) Whether he could drink a little water first.
7. How did Sacks descend the mountain?
(a) By "rowing" with his arms.
(b) By crawling.
(c) By hobbling on his right leg.
(d) By rolling and sliding.
8. Why was Sacks grateful to Dr. Henry Fleck?
(a) The doctor performed electrical studies on Sack's damaged leg.
(b) The doctor first explained Sacks' body-ego alienation.
(c) The doctor's book was influential in Sacks' understanding of himself.
(d) The doctor provided valuable support during therapy.
9. What was the occasion for this book?
(a) An accident with peculiar effects.
(b) The study of an unusual patient.
(c) An accident with expected effects.
(d) Reading a book about an unusual patient.
10. What emotion did Sacks see several times on the unguarded face of the physiotherapist?
11. Shortly after the sun set, what extraordinary auditory experience did Sacks have?
(a) He could hear the movement of the plants around him.
(b) He could no longer hear himself.
(c) He could hear every living creature in the area.
(d) He could not hear anything outside himself.
12. According to the plane captain, what is the first lesson a patient must learn?
13. Following the surgery, how did Sacks's cast fit his leg?
(a) He could put his entire fist between his leg and the cast.
(b) The leg was horribly swollen in the cast.
(c) The leg fit nearly perfectly in the cast.
(d) He could put two fingers between his leg and the cas.
14. When did Sacks write the preface to the book?
15. Who has written about the "occasions of poetry" (pg 9)?
(a) Thomas Gunn.
(b) T. S. Eliot.
(c) Admiral Nelson.
(d) William Shakespeare.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sacks, why does he not end his story after his rescue?
2. What did Sacks experience with the father and son, which he had not experienced all day?
3. What does the word scotoma mean?
4. How old was Sacks when he discovered the beauty of the world through the Pythagorean theorem?
5. What did Sacks think about as he moved down the mountain?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)