|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who inspired and encouraged Sacks to finish his book?
(a) His editors.
(b) His son.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His wife.
2. What book of the Bible does Sacks quote at the beginning of Chapter Three?
3. What instrument did Sacks have for listening to music?
(a) A record player.
(b) An MP3 player.
(c) A clarinet.
(d) A small radio.
4. After he fell, what story did Sacks recall the villagers telling him?
(a) A Scotsman had died on exposure on the mountain exactly one year previously.
(b) An Englishman had died on the mountain two weeks earlier.
(c) A Pole had been gored by the bull and bled to death.
(d) An Englishman had broken both legs on the mountain earlier, though he survived.
5. What name did Sacks give his windowless hospital room?
(a) Big Ease.
(b) Little Ease.
(c) The Tower.
(d) The Monad.
6. What was the primary reason that Sacks decided not to yell a second time?
(a) He needed to conserve his strength.
(b) He was about ten miles away from the village.
(c) He was too thirsty to yell very loudly.
(d) He was afraid of angering the bull.
7. After realizing that he was the victim of the fall, what did Sacks do?
(a) Looked at the leg as though he did not recognize it.
(b) Gave himself a pep talk in an attempt to begin moving.
(c) Examined the injured leg as though he were explaining it to a class.
(d) Lay down and tried to think what he should do.
8. What time did Sacks hope to reach the mountain's summit?
(b) Eleven o'clock AM.
(c) Two o'clock PM.
(d) Nine o'clock AM.
9. When Nurse Solveig returned to take out Sacks's thermometer, what emotion did she convey?
10. What time of day did Sacks awake from his feverish delirium?
(b) Near midnight.
(c) Late afternoon.
(d) Early morning.
11. What was the name of the surgeon who performed Sacks's knee surgery?
12. Why did the staff nurse laugh at Sacks when he arrived in his room?
(a) Because he had difficulty walking.
(b) Because he had packed fifty books and almost no clothes.
(c) Because he was joking about his cast.
(d) Because he told her a bawdy joke.
13. What did not occur to Sacks until he injured his leg?
(a) That he had forgotten to take extra water.
(b) How far he had climbed up the mountain before falling.
(c) How utterly alone he was.
(d) That the bull might be following him.
14. What was the date when Sacks climbed the mountain?
(a) The 23rd.
(b) The 18th.
(c) The 24th.
(d) The 7th.
15. What emotion did Sacks see several times on the unguarded face of the physiotherapist?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what poor instrument did Sacks compare his injured leg?
2. When riding to the hospital where he would be operated on, Sacks felt dread. How was this different from the dread he had felt on the mountain?
3. When Sacks began to write to Luria, where did Luria live?
4. Why was Sacks grateful to Dr. Henry Fleck?
5. The night after his surgery, what was the first of Sacks's nightmares?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)