|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Sacks meet the bull?
(a) He came over a small rise and the bull was lying in the grass.
(b) He rounded a boulder and it was lying in the path.
(c) The bull looked like a boulder until he got close to it.
(d) The bull walked out of a stand of trees.
2. Why did Sacks write to A. R. Luria?
(a) He wanted reassurance about writing his book.
(b) Luria was a close family friend.
(c) He was not getting satisfactory answers from his own doctor.
(d) Luria was the leading neuropsychologist in the United States.
3. How does Sacks describe the six-hour ambulance ride to the next hospital?
(a) Like death.
(b) Like resurrection.
(c) Like the embodiment of hope.
(d) Like a dream.
4. What town's hospital was Sacks taken to first?
5. Who inspired and encouraged Sacks to finish his book?
(a) His editors.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His wife.
(d) His son.
6. What was the primary reason that Sacks decided not to yell a second time?
(a) He was too thirsty to yell very loudly.
(b) He needed to conserve his strength.
(c) He was afraid of angering the bull.
(d) He was about ten miles away from the village.
7. Shortly after the sun set, what extraordinary auditory experience did Sacks have?
(a) He could not hear anything outside himself.
(b) He could no longer hear himself.
(c) He could hear every living creature in the area.
(d) He could hear the movement of the plants around him.
8. In what publication did Sacks's first article about his injury appear?
(a) New York Times.
(b) Atlantic Monthly.
(c) New York Times Book Review.
(d) London Review of Books.
9. What was Sacks doing when he was finally able to piece together his thoughts?
(a) Riding a train from Philadelphia to New York.
(b) Driving from Washington, D.C. to Boston.
(c) Riding a train from Boston to New York.
(d) Riding in a car from Annapolis to New York.
10. What was the first exercise that Sacks tried to do with the physiotherapist?
(a) Swing his leg to the left.
(b) Bend his knee.
(c) Lift his leg.
(d) Tense up his quadriceps.
11. Who wrote the book which was the model for Sacks's own book?
12. After a temporary cast was put on the leg, what dream did Sacks have?
(a) The leg was made of cloud vapor.
(b) The leg was made of bricks and mortar.
(c) The leg was covered with a layer of steel.
(d) The leg was being squeezed in a vice.
13. How did Sacks descend the mountain?
(a) By hobbling on his right leg.
(b) By crawling.
(c) By rolling and sliding.
(d) By "rowing" with his arms.
14. Where did Sacks finish writing his book?
(a) On a mountain in Costa Rica.
(b) In a village in Norway.
(c) In a meadow in New Yor.
(d) On a mountain in Nicaragua.
15. What was the name of the surgeon who performed Sacks's knee surgery?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the staff nurse laugh at Sacks when he arrived in his room?
2. What name did Sacks give his windowless hospital room?
3. While waiting for villagers to arrive and take him to the hospital, how did Sacks feel?
4. What was the date when Sacks climbed the mountain?
5. The night after his surgery, what was the first of Sacks's nightmares?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)