|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3, 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other word is connoted by the word "hell"?
2. According to the plane captain, what is the first lesson a patient must learn?
3. What role did Mary-Kay Wilmers play in Sacks's recovery?
(a) She nursed him in the hospital after his surgery.
(b) She suggested and edited his article entitled "The Leg."
(c) She nursed him in the convalescent home.
(d) She served as the impetus for his philosophical musings about his injury.
4. In Chapter Five, Sacks quotes poetry to explain the importance of music: "You are the music/ While the music lasts." Who wrote these lines?
(d) St. John of the Cross.
5. Why was it so difficult for Sacks to take the first step?
(a) He had forgotten how to walk.
(b) He could not get his sense of balance.
(c) His feet felt too heavy to lift.
(d) He felt that the physiotherapists were pressuring him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the public reaction to Sacks's first article about his leg?
2. Who came up with the phrase "quickening art" which described Sacks's use of music to move down the mountain?
3. When did scotoma overwhelm Sacks the most?
4. What time did Sacks hope to reach the mountain's summit?
5. What was the primary reason that Sacks and his friends celebrated the evening after his surgery?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)