|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Sacks model his own book after?
(a) The Man with the Shattered Arm.
(b) The Man in the Shattered Hope.
(c) The Woman with the Shattered Dreams.
(d) The Man with the Shattered World.
2. What did Sacks hope to see when he reached the mountain's summit?
(a) The bull that lived there.
(b) A good view of the city.
(c) The temple at the top.
(d) A good view of the surrounding mountains.
3. How long did it take Sacks to reach the final understanding of his various thoughts?
(a) One year.
(b) Several years.
(c) Nearly a decade.
(d) Half a year.
4. What was the primary reason that Sacks decided not to yell a second time?
(a) He was afraid of angering the bull.
(b) He was too thirsty to yell very loudly.
(c) He was about ten miles away from the village.
(d) He needed to conserve his strength.
5. What was the main injury that Sacks was able to identify?
(a) An artery was torn.
(b) The leg was becoming horribly discolored.
(c) His femur was broken.
(d) The quadriceps was paralyzed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occasion for this book?
2. Since his accident, what has Sacks been aware of?
3. Who came up with the phrase "quickening art" which described Sacks's use of music to move down the mountain?
4. How long did Sacks wait before villagers carried him to the hospital?
5. When did Sacks write the preface to the book?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)