|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name the child she has in Chapter 16?
2. What natural disaster strikes in 1880?
3. Where is John injured in Chapter 21?
4. What begins in Chapter 28?
5. What does Grace do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
2. How does John feel about running the farm?
3. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
4. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
5. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
6. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
7. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
8. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
9. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
10. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)