|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Eloise's personality?
2. What is John's personality like?
3. What kind of school does Abbie hear about in Chapter 18?
4. What conflict begins in Chapter 24?
5. What does Abbie teach the children with while they are out of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
2. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
3. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
4. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
5. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
6. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
7. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
8. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
9. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
10. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the dream versus reality motif in the novel. What does Abbie sacrifice her dreams for? Why might her dreams have been difficult for her to achieve? How does life get in the way of Abbie's dream?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)