|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's personality like?
2. Who does Abbie decide to visit in Chapter 19?
3. Where does Eloise get parenting advice?
4. How does John feel about taking over for his father?
5. Who welcomes a child in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
2. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
3. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
4. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
5. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
6. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
7. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
8. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
9. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
10. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)