|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name her daughter in Chapter 20?
2. Which of Abbie's children invite her on a trip in Chapter 28?
3. Where is John injured in Chapter 21?
4. Why does John return to Cedartown in Chapter 25?
5. What is John's personality like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
2. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
3. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
4. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
5. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
6. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
7. How does John feel about running the farm?
8. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
9. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
10. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)