|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eloise's surname?
2. What forces the children to miss school in Chapter 17?
3. What do Mack and Emma name their third child?
4. What word best describes Eloise's personality?
5. What does John want to do in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
2. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
3. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
4. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
5. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
6. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
7. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
8. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
9. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
10. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze symbolism in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of symbolism? What does the pearl necklace symbolize?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)