|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie write in Chapter 22?
2. Why does Abbie refuse to go on a trip with Grace?
3. What is John's personality like?
4. What does Margaret do to pass her time?
5. How long does Grandma Deal live after moving in with Abbie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel about running the farm?
2. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
3. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
4. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
5. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
6. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
7. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
8. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
9. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
10. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)