|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie get caught in on her way home at the end of Chapter 19?
2. What does Will do in 1880?
3. What conflict begins in Chapter 24?
4. Which of Abbie's children invite her on a trip in Chapter 28?
5. What do John and Eloise name their son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
2. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
3. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
4. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
5. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
6. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
7. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
8. How does John feel about running the farm?
9. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
10. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)