|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has recently opened near the farm in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Abbie go to Omaha in Chapter 23?
3. In what year does Grace finish college?
4. Why does John return to Cedartown in Chapter 25?
5. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do in Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)