|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name her daughter in Chapter 20?
2. Why does John return to Cedartown in Chapter 25?
3. How are Abbie's friends best described?
4. Who throws a party for Abbie in Chapter 26?
5. Which of Abbie's children gets engaged in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
2. How does John feel about running the farm?
3. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
4. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
5. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
6. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
7. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
8. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
9. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
10. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)