|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John feel about taking over for his father?
2. Why does Abbie refuse to go on a trip with Grace?
3. How old is Abbie in Chapter 27?
4. What does Isabelle announce toward the end of Chapter 24?
5. Where does Will die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
2. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
3. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
4. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
5. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
6. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
7. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
8. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
9. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
10. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)