|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John feel about taking over for his father?
2. What does Will do in 1880?
3. How long does Grandma Deal live after moving in with Abbie?
4. What is purchased for Isabelle in Chapter 23?
5. What does John start to do in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
2. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
3. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
4. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
5. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
6. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
7. How does John feel about running the farm?
8. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
9. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
10. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze symbolism in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of symbolism? What does the pearl necklace symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)