|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Grandma Deal live after moving in with Abbie?
2. What begins in Chapter 28?
3. In Chapter 23, how long has it been since Abbie went to Iowa?
4. What does Margaret do to pass her time?
5. Which of Abbie's children want her to live with them?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)