|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forces the children to miss school in Chapter 17?
2. What has recently opened near the farm in Chapter 16?
3. What begins in Chapter 28?
4. How does Abbie feel when she returns to Nebraska?
5. In Chapter 18, why does Abbie put her trip on hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
2. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
3. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
4. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
5. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
6. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
7. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
8. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
9. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
10. How does John feel about running the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)