|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mack's personality like?
2. What does the group Will belong to in Chapter 19 accomplish?
3. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16?
4. Why does John return to Cedartown in Chapter 25?
5. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
2. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
3. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
4. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
5. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
6. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
7. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
8. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
9. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
10. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)