|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Abbie's children invite her on a trip in Chapter 28?
2. How does Abbie feel about her pregnancy in Chapter 19?
3. How does Abbie respond to John's dream?
4. Where does Mack go when his is seventeen?
5. Where does John go in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
2. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
3. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
4. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
5. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
6. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
7. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
8. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
9. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
10. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)