|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mack's personality like?
2. Where is John injured in Chapter 21?
3. What natural disaster strikes in 1880?
4. What does Abbie teach the children with while they are out of school?
5. How old is Grace in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel about running the farm?
2. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
3. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
4. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
5. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
6. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
7. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
8. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
9. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
10. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)