|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name her daughter in Chapter 20?
2. What do Mack and Emma name their third child?
3. What do Abbie and John discuss in Chapter 21?
4. What does Grandma Deal save her money for?
5. What does Isabelle announce toward the end of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
2. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
3. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
4. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
5. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
6. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
7. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
8. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
9. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
10. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)