|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school does Margaret's son attend?
2. How does John feel about taking over for his father?
3. Who volunteers to fight in the conflict in Chapter 24?
4. What does Abbie write in Chapter 22?
5. In Chapter 18, why does Abbie put her trip on hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
2. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
3. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
4. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
5. How does John feel about running the farm?
6. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
7. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
8. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
9. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
10. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)