|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbie respond to John's dream?
2. What begins in Chapter 28?
3. Why does John return to Cedartown in Chapter 25?
4. How old is Abbie in Chapter 19?
5. Where does Mack find a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John feel about running the farm?
2. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
3. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
4. What amuses Abbie about Eloise's parenting?
5. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
6. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
7. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
8. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
9. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
10. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze symbolism in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of symbolism? What does the pearl necklace symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the dream versus reality motif in the novel. What does Abbie sacrifice her dreams for? Why might her dreams have been difficult for her to achieve? How does life get in the way of Abbie's dream?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)