|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict begins in Chapter 24?
2. Where does Mack find a job?
3. What does Grace do for a living?
4. What does Abbie write in Chapter 22?
5. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
2. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
3. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
4. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
5. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
6. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
7. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
8. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
9. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
10. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the love triangle between Abbie, Will and Ed. What does Abbie feel for both of these men when she first gets to know them? How does Ed convince Abbie to accept his proposal? What does this tell the reader about his character? Why does Abbie choose to marry Will in the end? In your opinion, did she make the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)