|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Will want Mack to move away?
2. Where do Abbie's children encourage her to move to when Grace finishes high school?
3. What do Abbie and John discuss in Chapter 21?
4. After the death of her son, what does Abbie begin to feel toward Will?
5. What is John's personality like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
2. What does Abbie decide to do since everyone else is pursuing their dreams?
3. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
4. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
5. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
6. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
7. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
8. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
9. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
10. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)