|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Abbie's children invite her on a trip in Chapter 28?
2. How does John feel about taking over for his father?
3. How old is Abbie in Chapter 27?
4. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do in Chapter 27?
5. In Chapter 18, how long has it been since Abbie last went to Iowa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
2. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
3. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
4. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
5. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
6. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
7. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
8. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
9. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
10. What money does Grandma Deal use to buy Isabelle a piano? What does she plan to do with the remainder of the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)