|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school does Margaret's son attend?
2. Why doesn't Will want Mack to move away?
3. What does John want to do in life?
4. What does Abbie name the child she has in Chapter 16?
5. How does Abbie feel about her pregnancy in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
2. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
3. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
4. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
5. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
6. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
7. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
8. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
9. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
10. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)