|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does Abbie put her trip on hold?
2. How are Abbie's friends best described?
3. Who does Abbie decide to visit in Chapter 19?
4. Who has a child in Chapter 27?
5. What does Isabelle announce toward the end of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
2. What group is Will involved with in Chapter 19?
3. How does John feel about running the farm?
4. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
5. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
6. In Chapter 19, where does Abbie plan to go? Why does she postpone her trip?
7. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
8. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
9. What does Oscar Lutz say about Will in Chapter 25
10. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)