|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Grandma Deal live after moving in with Abbie?
2. What begins in Chapter 28?
3. In Chapter 23, how long has it been since Abbie went to Iowa?
4. What does Margaret do to pass her time?
5. Which of Abbie's children want her to live with them?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the dream versus reality motif in the novel. What does Abbie sacrifice her dreams for? Why might her dreams have been difficult for her to achieve? How does life get in the way of Abbie's dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)