|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
2. How does Sarah Lutz's brother die?
3. Where does Will decide to move his family?
4. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
5. What does Ed Matthews promise Abbie when he hears her singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
3. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
4. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
5. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
6. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
7. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
8. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
9. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
10. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)