|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
2. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
3. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
4. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
5. What is Abbie's grandmother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
2. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
3. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
4. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
5. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
6. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
7. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
8. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
9. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
10. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze symbolism in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of symbolism? What does the pearl necklace symbolize?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)