|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Abbie suggest selling in order to make money?
2. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
3. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
4. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
5. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
2. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
3. Who begins to visit Abbie frequently in Chapter 30? Why?
4. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
5. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
6. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
7. How does Abbie die?
8. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
9. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
10. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)