|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a letter received by the Deals in Chapter 15 tell them?
2. What does Abbie do when she goes into the forest?
3. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
4. What does Ed ask of Abbie in order to fulfill his promise?
5. Where is Will's father sent in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
3. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
4. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
5. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
6. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
7. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
8. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
9. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
10. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Abbie's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Abbie's grandmother and Abbie's dreams? Does Abbie achieve her dreams? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)