|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
2. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
3. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
4. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
5. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
2. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
3. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
4. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
5. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
6. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
7. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
8. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
9. What does the government begin to offer in Chapter 15?
10. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)