|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which river do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey?
2. How old is Will when is father has to leave the farm in Chapter 4?
3. What are the rumors that go through the community in Chapter 3 about?
4. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
5. What kind of house does Will decide to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
2. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
3. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
4. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
5. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
6. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
7. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
8. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
9. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
10. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)