|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family that joins Abbie and Will on their journey?
2. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
3. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
4. How does Sarah Lutz's brother die?
5. What do the Lutz's open in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
2. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
4. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
5. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
6. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
7. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
8. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
9. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
10. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)