|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie think about Grandma Deal?
2. What does Abbie try to focus her attention on in the spring in Chapter 15?
3. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
4. What is Abbie's grandmother's name?
5. What is Henry's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
3. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
4. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
5. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
6. What does the government begin to offer in Chapter 15?
7. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
8. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
9. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
10. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Will Deal. Who is Will Deal and what are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of the protagonist, Abbie Deal? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)