|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbie feel while camping in Chapter 10?
2. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
3. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
4. Where do many of the Deals' neighbors start to go in Chapter 13?
5. Where does Will decide to move his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
2. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
3. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
4. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
5. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
6. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
7. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
8. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
9. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
10. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Abbie's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Abbie's grandmother and Abbie's dreams? Does Abbie achieve her dreams? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)