|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
2. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
3. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
4. What advice is Abbie given in Chapter 6?
5. What kind of house does Will decide to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
2. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
3. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
5. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
6. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
7. What does the government begin to offer in Chapter 15?
8. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
9. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
10. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Abbie's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Abbie's grandmother and Abbie's dreams? Does Abbie achieve her dreams? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the love triangle between Abbie, Will and Ed. What does Abbie feel for both of these men when she first gets to know them? How does Ed convince Abbie to accept his proposal? What does this tell the reader about his character? Why does Abbie choose to marry Will in the end? In your opinion, did she make the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)