Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lessons does Abbie take in Blackhawk County?
2. What does Abbie decide to create in Chapter 14?
3. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
4. Which of the following is NOT a person that Abbie believes she will someday be?
5. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
2. While Abbie's children are pained by Abbie's lonely death, what does Laura say?
3. Why does John return to Cedartown? Who does he bring with him?
4. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
5. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
6. What does Abbie think of the people at the settlers' reunion in Chapter 29?
7. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
8. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do when Abbie reaches her seventies?
9. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
10. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Abbie's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Abbie's grandmother and Abbie's dreams? Does Abbie achieve her dreams? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)