|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ed Matthews promise Abbie when he hears her singing?
2. What item does Abbie suggest selling in order to make money?
3. What gift does Abbie's mother give her before her wedding ceremony?
4. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
5. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
2. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
3. What does the government begin to offer in Chapter 15?
4. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
5. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
6. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
7. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
8. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
9. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
10. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)