|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
2. What kind of house does Will decide to build?
3. How does Sarah Lutz's brother die?
4. To what state are the Mackenzies moving?
5. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
2. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
3. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
4. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
5. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
6. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
7. How does John feel about running the farm?
8. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
9. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
10. Why doesn't Abbie accept Grace's invitation to visit Scotland and Ireland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)