|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls from one of the wagons in Chapter 2?
2. When the Mackenzie's reach their destination in Chapter 2, where do they stay?
3. What is Henry's brother's name?
4. Who gave Maggie the gift, which she passed along to Abbie in Chapter 7?
5. Who does Will help find for the local community in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
2. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
4. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
5. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
6. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
7. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
8. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
9. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
10. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)