|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the day that Will leaves for the war?
2. Where does the Mackenzie family come from?
3. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
4. What does Will use the 1872 crop for?
5. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
2. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
4. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
5. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
6. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
7. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
8. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
9. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
10. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the dream versus reality motif in the novel. What does Abbie sacrifice her dreams for? Why might her dreams have been difficult for her to achieve? How does life get in the way of Abbie's dream?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)