|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Abbie when it is time to deliver her baby?
2. Which of the following is NOT listed as something the government began providing to struggling families?
3. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
4. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
5. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
2. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
3. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
4. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
5. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
6. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
7. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
8. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
9. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
10. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)