|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
2. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
4. How does Sarah Lutz's brother die?
5. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
2. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
4. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
5. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
6. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
7. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
8. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
9. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
10. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)