|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Mackenzie's reach their destination in Chapter 2, where do they stay?
2. What kind of lessons does Abbie take in Blackhawk County?
3. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
4. What is the name of the family that joins Abbie and Will on their journey?
5. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
2. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
3. Describe what Abbie looks like in Chapter 29.
4. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
5. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
6. What begins in Chapter 24 and how does it affect the Deal family?
7. What makes Abbie proud in Chapter 34?
8. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
9. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
10. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of the novel. What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the love triangle between Abbie, Will and Ed. What does Abbie feel for both of these men when she first gets to know them? How does Ed convince Abbie to accept his proposal? What does this tell the reader about his character? Why does Abbie choose to marry Will in the end? In your opinion, did she make the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)