|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
2. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop?
3. How does Abbie feel about Grandpa Deal?
4. How much money is Will given to fight?
5. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
2. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
3. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
4. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
5. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
6. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
7. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
8. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
9. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
10. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." Describe the families of both Will and Abbie. How do these families affect Abbie's life? Why is Abbie's family unhappy with her marriage to Will?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the love triangle between Abbie, Will and Ed. What does Abbie feel for both of these men when she first gets to know them? How does Ed convince Abbie to accept his proposal? What does this tell the reader about his character? Why does Abbie choose to marry Will in the end? In your opinion, did she make the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)