|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie decide to create in Chapter 14?
2. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
3. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
4. What gift does Abbie's mother give her before her wedding ceremony?
5. What item does Abbie suggest selling in order to make money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
2. What does Abbie give Katherine in Chapter 35? What does Katherine show her grandmother?
3. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
4. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
5. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
6. Describe what Abbie looks like in Chapter 29.
7. What does Will assure Abbie of when they talk about death? Where does Will die?
8. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
9. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
10. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by the protagonist throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)