|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
2. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
3. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
4. What does Abbie think of Christine?
5. When the Mackenzie's reach their destination in Chapter 2, where do they stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
2. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
3. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
4. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
5. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
6. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
7. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
8. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
9. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
10. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the dream versus reality motif in the novel. What does Abbie sacrifice her dreams for? Why might her dreams have been difficult for her to achieve? How does life get in the way of Abbie's dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)