|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is Will given to fight?
2. How many rooms does the first house Will builds have?
3. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
4. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
5. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
2. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
3. What happens when Will tells Abbie about a local teacher offering art lessons?
4. What does Abbie give Katherine in Chapter 35? What does Katherine show her grandmother?
5. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
6. Who begins to visit Abbie frequently in Chapter 30? Why?
7. How does Christine help Abbie in Chapter 20?
8. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
9. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
10. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Abbie's life have been different if she had not lived in the Mid-West during pioneering days?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of survival in the novel. Why do Abbie and her family struggle to survive during their first few years in Nebraska? How do they handle this burden? Who helps them along the way? What character traits of Abbie's help her during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)