|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie decide to create in Chapter 14?
2. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
3. What gift does Abbie's mother give her before her wedding ceremony?
4. Who does Will help find for the local community in Chapter 12?
5. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
2. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
3. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
4. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
5. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
6. What is Abbie sure to be on hand to see unpacked in Chapter 2?
7. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
9. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
10. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the career of the author of the novel, Bess Streeter Aldrich. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to those in "A Lantern in her Hand."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. What are some examples of friendship in the novel? Analyze the friendship between Abbie and Christine. How does Christine help Abbie? What do others think of Christine?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the marriage between Abbie and Will? Do they love and respect each other? Is their marriage a happy one? Does Abbie believe she made the right choice by marrying Will? What are some obstacles that they face as a couple?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)