|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
2. What crop does Will plant in Chapter 11?
3. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ed Matthews promise Abbie when he hears her singing?
5. What does Abbie name her second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
3. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
4. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
5. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
6. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
7. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
8. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
9. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
10. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of motherhood. How does motherhood change Abbie? Is Abbie a good mother? Why or why not? How do Abbie's children impact her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)