|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name her first born child?
2. Which of the following is NOT a person that Abbie believes she will someday be?
3. Where does Will decide to move his family?
4. Who does Abbie marry in Chapter 7?
5. What does Abbie become aware of near the camp in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
2. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
3. What do Abbie and Will receive in Chapter 13?
4. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
5. Compared to the Deals, how do the Lutzes fare in Nebraska?
6. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
7. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
8. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
9. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
10. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sacrifice in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of sacrifice in the novel? What does Abbie sacrifice for her husband and children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of strength and courage in the novel, "A Lantern in her Hand." What are some examples of when Abbie exhibits strength and courage? How might she have floundered in such harsh conditions if she did not have strength and courage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Abbie Deal. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)