|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
2. Who does Abbie marry in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
4. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
5. What happens on the day that Will leaves for the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
2. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
3. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
4. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
5. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
6. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
7. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
8. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
9. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
10. How does Abbie feel about her in-laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of regret in the novel "A Lantern in her Hand." Why does Abbie feel regret? How does Aldrich convey the protagonist's regret to the reader? How does Abbie deal with these feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Abbie's children and grandchildren. What are their defining characteristics? What similarities do they share with Abbie?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)