|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do John and Eloise name their son?
(b) John Jr.
2. What do Abbie and John discuss in Chapter 21?
(a) What they would do if either of them died.
(b) Whether they should move back to Iowa.
(c) Whether Abbie should take singing lessons.
(d) Funeral arrangements for Abbie's mother.
3. Where do Abbie's children encourage her to move to when Grace finishes high school?
(b) Grand Island.
4. In Chapter 18, why does Abbie put her trip on hold?
(a) Because her son becomes ill.
(b) To send her daughter to school.
(c) So that the Deal family can pay bills.
(d) Because she is needed to help with the harvest.
5. Where does Mack find a job?
(a) At a hospital.
(b) At a college.
(c) At a shipyard.
(d) At a bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's personality like?
2. What conflict begins in Chapter 24?
3. What does John start to do in Chapter 21?
4. How does Abbie feel when she returns to Nebraska?
5. What do Mack and Emma name their third child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eloise Wentworth like?
2. When planning a party for Abbie, what is Grace shocked by?
3. Why do the Deal children miss school in Chapter 17? What does Abbie have them do?
4. What happens in the Deals' lives in 1880?
5. What is Margaret's response when Abbie offers her her mother's pearls?
6. What does Abbie think of the results of her writing efforts?
7. What does Mack do when he is seventeen years old?
8. What emotions does Abbie feel after the death of her son?
9. What does a man bring to dinner in Chapter 16? What does this remind Abbie of?
10. Why does Abbie sell off much of the Deal land in Chapter 25?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)