|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Abbie when it is time to deliver her baby?
(a) Abbie's mother.
2. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
(a) Dress making.
(b) Transcription work.
(d) Shop keeping.
3. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
(a) Monsters in the woods.
(b) The old country.
(c) A fantasy world.
(d) Kings and queens.
4. What is Henry's brother's name?
5. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
(a) The neighbors moving in.
(b) An infestation of insects.
(c) Will's drinking problem.
(d) The onset of winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
2. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Abbie marry in Chapter 7?
4. Where is Will's father sent in Chapter 4?
5. Where does the Mackenzie family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
2. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
3. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
4. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
5. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
6. What does Abbie's mother give her before Abbie's wedding?
7. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
8. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
9. At the beginning of the story, where is Maggie Mackenzie moving her family?
10. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)