|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the community gather in Chapter 3?
(a) The Deal house.
(b) The Lutz house.
(c) The Mackenzie house.
(d) The Matthews house.
2. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) Because they inherited property.
(b) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(c) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(d) Because they were given a free plot of land.
3. To what state are the Mackenzies moving?
4. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking his wife to New York.
(b) The community that will build up around them.
(c) His sons taking over the farm.
(d) Serving as a government official.
5. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
2. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
3. When the Mackenzie's reach their destination in Chapter 2, where do they stay?
4. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
5. Who does Will help find for the local community in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
2. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
3. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Abbie find in the forest, and what does she do there?
5. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
6. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
7. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
8. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
9. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
10. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)