|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
2. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
(a) That Abbie will stay in Iowa even after she's married.
(b) That Abbie will be a famous artist.
(c) That Abbie will be happy in her marriage.
(d) That someday Abbie's daughter will use Maggie's gift.
3. Where do many of the Deals' neighbors start to go in Chapter 13?
(b) Back to where they came from.
(c) To try their luck in the gold rush.
(d) To Kansas.
4. Which family seems to be doing better than their neighbors?
(a) The Lutzs.
(b) The Reinmuellers.
(c) The Wentworths.
(d) The O'Connors.
5. Which river do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey?
(a) The Elkhorn River.
(b) The Loup River.
(c) The Platte River.
(d) The White River.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
2. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
3. What conflict begins in Chapter 5?
4. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
5. What is Abbie's grandmother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
2. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
3. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
4. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop in Nebraska?
5. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
6. How have the fortunes of the Mackenzie family changed over time?
7. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
8. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
9. How does the Deals' fifth crop turn out?
10. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)