|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
(a) That they need their own house.
(b) That she doesn't want any more children.
(c) That she wants to go to art classes.
(d) That they should move to another state.
2. Who does Will help find for the local community in Chapter 12?
(a) A school teacher.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A post master.
3. What does Abbie try to focus her attention on in the spring in Chapter 15?
(a) Keeping a garden.
(b) Schooling her children.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Singing lessons.
4. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking his wife to New York.
(b) Serving as a government official.
(c) His sons taking over the farm.
(d) The community that will build up around them.
5. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(b) By releasing birds in the field.
(c) By burning it.
(d) By spraying chemicals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Maggie the gift, which she passed along to Abbie in Chapter 7?
2. Where is Will's father sent in Chapter 4?
3. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
5. What is Henry's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Abbie receive in Chapter 6?
2. Who helps Abbie when she goes into labor in Chapter 10?
3. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
4. Following the advice of the preacher's wife, who does Abbie decide to marry in Chapter 6?
5. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
6. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
7. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
8. Who hears Abbie sing in the woods? What does this person promise her?
9. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
10. What kind of house does Will build for his family?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)