|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbie name her first born child?
(a) William Jr.
2. What is Henry's brother's name?
3. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
(a) Abbie declines to marry Ed.
(b) Abbie lets her mother respond on her behalf.
(c) Abbie agrees to marry Ed.
(d) Abbie acts like it is a joke.
4. What item does Abbie suggest selling in order to make money?
(a) Homemade jam.
(b) Her clock.
(c) Some of their land.
(d) Her mother's pearls.
5. What does a letter received by the Deals in Chapter 15 tell them?
(a) That Ed Matthews would like to visit Abbie.
(b) That their land is being repossessed.
(c) That Abbie's mother died.
(d) That Grandpa Deal died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Maggie the gift, which she passed along to Abbie in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Abbie marry in Chapter 7?
3. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
4. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
5. Which river do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Abbie do to build up their homestead in Chapter 11?
2. Who do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey to Nebraska?
3. What is Abbie said to be fascinated by in Chapter 1?
4. What does Abbie discover near the families' camp in Nebraska?
5. In Chapter 2, what catastrophe nearly befalls the Mackenzie family on their journey?
6. Why does Will Deal go to war in Chapter 5?
7. What kind of person does Abbie aspire to be?
8. What does Abbie decide to do for her children in Chapter 14?
9. What does Abbie think of Christine Reinmueller? Why does Abbie feel she should hide her feelings about Christine?
10. What pet does Will Deal keep? Why must he get rid of it?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)