|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the group Will belong to in Chapter 19 accomplish?
(a) Have electricity installed in some local houses.
(b) Convince the railroad to pass through Cedartown.
(c) Get government funding to pave local roads.
(d) Dig a sewage line for the town's main street.
2. What money is used to buy the piano?
(a) The money Doc Matthews paid for Will to go to war.
(b) The money that came from Will's savings bonds.
(c) The money Grandma Deal won from gambling.
(d) The money Mack sent his grandmother for her birthday.
3. Who volunteers to fight in the conflict in Chapter 24?
(b) Fred Jr.
4. What conflict begins in Chapter 24?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Spanish-American war.
(c) The War of 1812.
(d) The Boer War.
5. What does Abbie do when she falls on hard times in Chapter 23?
(a) Sells her grandmother's pearls.
(b) Sells her house.
(c) Sells off farm land.
(d) Sells a painting Will made.
6. What does Will buy for his daughter in Chapter 19?
(a) A piano.
(b) A violin.
(c) A guitar.
(d) An organ.
7. What does John start to do in Chapter 21?
(a) Make plans to move abroad.
(b) Study music.
(c) Work on the community council.
(d) Chores on the farm.
8. Where does John go in Chapter 24?
(a) The Arctic Circle.
(b) South America.
9. How are Abbie's friends best described?
(a) As bumpkins.
(b) As sophisticated.
(c) As snobbish.
(d) As salt-of-the-earth.
10. What does Abbie name the child she has in Chapter 16?
11. What does Grace refuse to do in her life?
(a) Have children.
(b) Move out of state.
(c) Get married.
(d) Invest in the stock market.
12. Who welcomes a child in Chapter 24?
(a) Christine's daughter.
(b) Margaret and her husband.
(c) Mack and his wife.
(d) Sarah Lutz.
13. Where does Mack find a job?
(a) At a shipyard.
(b) At a hospital.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At a college.
14. What do Abbie's children encourage her to do in Chapter 27?
(a) Go on a trip.
(b) Write her life story.
(c) Sell her house.
(d) Perform in a local concert.
15. What does Abbie teach the children with while they are out of school?
(a) The Bible.
(b) An atlas.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, how long has it been since Abbie last went to Iowa?
2. After the death of her son, what does Abbie begin to feel toward Will?
3. Where is John injured in Chapter 21?
4. What kind of school does Abbie hear about in Chapter 18?
5. Why doesn't Will want Mack to move away?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)