|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By releasing birds in the field.
(b) By spraying chemicals.
(c) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(d) By burning it.
2. What is the name of the family that joins Abbie and Will on their journey?
3. What happens on the day that Will leaves for the war?
(a) Abbie enters a singing contest.
(b) Will's father dies.
(c) Abbie gets engaged.
(d) Will gives Abbie a kiss.
4. When the Mackenzie's reach their destination in Chapter 2, where do they stay?
(a) In a tent.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) With a relative.
(d) In a small shed.
5. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Abbie has musical talent.
(b) That he has an old piano that she can have.
(c) That Will has been asking about her.
(d) That Will has been injured in the war.
6. What does Will use the 1872 crop for?
(a) To feed the livestock.
(b) To re-enforce the house's walls.
(c) For mulch.
(d) To heat the house.
7. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop?
(a) It is eaten by grasshoppers.
(b) It dies during a drought.
(c) It is ruined by a blight.
(d) It is swept away by floods.
8. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
(a) In a field.
(b) In a hammock.
(c) In a train.
(d) In a covered wagon.
9. Where do many of the Deals' neighbors start to go in Chapter 13?
(a) To Kansas.
(b) To try their luck in the gold rush.
(d) Back to where they came from.
10. What do the Lutz's open in Chapter 12?
(a) An inn.
(b) A store.
(c) A cattle ranch.
(d) A cafe.
11. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
(a) Because Abbie doesn't like people to know what she thinks.
(b) Because there are few women around to be friends with.
(c) Because Abbie doesn't want Christine as a friend.
(d) Because Christine would be embarassed.
12. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
(a) Transcription work.
(b) Shop keeping.
(d) Dress making.
13. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
(a) Berry bushes.
(b) An herb garden.
14. Where does Will decide to move his family?
15. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
(a) Lack of sun.
(c) A blight.
(d) An infestation of mice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
2. Who is Ed Mathews' father?
3. Where does the community gather in Chapter 3?
4. What does Ed ask of Abbie in order to fulfill his promise?
5. What is Henry's brother's name?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)