|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Abbie when it is time to deliver her baby?
(c) Abbie's mother.
2. Where do many of the Deals' neighbors start to go in Chapter 13?
(a) To try their luck in the gold rush.
(b) To Kansas.
(c) Back to where they came from.
3. What does Abbie do when she goes into the forest?
4. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
(a) A wagon wheel.
(b) One of his horses.
(c) A sack of potatoes.
(d) His hat.
5. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
(a) Shop keeping.
(b) Dress making.
(c) Transcription work.
6. What does Abbie become aware of near the camp in Chapter 10?
(b) A geyser.
(c) A hiding spot for outlaws.
7. What does Abbie name her first born child?
(a) William Jr.
8. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(b) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(c) Because they were given a free plot of land.
(d) Because they inherited property.
9. What does a letter received by the Deals in Chapter 15 tell them?
(a) That Ed Matthews would like to visit Abbie.
(b) That Abbie's mother died.
(c) That their land is being repossessed.
(d) That Grandpa Deal died.
10. Which river do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey?
(a) The Platte River.
(b) The White River.
(c) The Elkhorn River.
(d) The Loup River.
11. What county does the eldest Mackenzie daughter live in?
(a) Blackhawk County.
(b) Van Buren County.
(c) Cedar County.
(d) Mahaska County.
12. Who gives Abbie advice in Chapter 6?
(a) The doctor's wife.
(b) The post master's wife.
(c) The preacher's wife.
(d) The school master's wife.
13. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
(a) A pond.
(b) An abandoned cabin.
(c) A perfect rock.
(d) A skull.
14. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
(a) Because Christine would be embarassed.
(b) Because Abbie doesn't like people to know what she thinks.
(c) Because Abbie doesn't want Christine as a friend.
(d) Because there are few women around to be friends with.
15. What is Abbie suffering from during the journey from Iowa?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) Dizzy spells.
(c) Poison ivy.
(d) Morning sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
2. How does Abbie feel on the journey from Iowa in Chapter 9?
3. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
4. Which of the following is NOT listed as something the government began providing to struggling families?
5. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)