|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the family that joins Abbie and Will on their journey?
2. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
(a) That he has an old piano that she can have.
(b) That Will has been injured in the war.
(c) That Will has been asking about her.
(d) That Abbie has musical talent.
3. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
(a) That she doesn't want any more children.
(b) That they need their own house.
(c) That they should move to another state.
(d) That she wants to go to art classes.
4. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
(a) Will's drinking problem.
(b) The neighbors moving in.
(c) An infestation of insects.
(d) The onset of winter.
5. What are the rumors that go through the community in Chapter 3 about?
6. How old is Will when is father has to leave the farm in Chapter 4?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Nineteen years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Twenty-one years old.
7. What falls from one of the wagons in Chapter 2?
(a) A bundle of blankets.
(b) Abbie's sister.
(c) A pair of chairs.
(d) Bags of flour.
8. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
9. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) Because they were given a free plot of land.
(b) Because they inherited property.
(c) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(d) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
10. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
(a) A rancher.
(b) A shop keeper.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A sheriff.
11. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
12. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
(a) In a hammock.
(b) In a train.
(c) In a covered wagon.
(d) In a field.
13. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) Serving as a government official.
(b) The community that will build up around them.
(c) Taking his wife to New York.
(d) His sons taking over the farm.
14. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned cabin.
(b) A skull.
(c) A perfect rock.
(d) A pond.
15. What does Ed Matthews promise Abbie when he hears her singing?
(a) That he'll take her to Paris.
(b) That he'll take her to Chicago.
(c) That he'll take her to London.
(d) That he'll take her to New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
2. What happens on the day that Will leaves for the war?
3. What does Abbie name her first born child?
4. What does Abbie name her second child?
5. Where does Abbie's mother keep the mementos from the Mackenzies' time of affluence?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)