|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a letter received by the Deals in Chapter 15 tell them?
(a) That Abbie's mother died.
(b) That Grandpa Deal died.
(c) That Ed Matthews would like to visit Abbie.
(d) That their land is being repossessed.
2. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking his wife to New York.
(b) His sons taking over the farm.
(c) The community that will build up around them.
(d) Serving as a government official.
3. How many children does Maggie have?
4. Why do the Mackenzies hold a party in Chapter 4?
(a) To celebrate a birth.
(b) To celebrate a wedding.
(c) To celebrate a birthday.
(d) To celebrate a reunion.
5. In which month do Abbie and Will receive a barrel containing corn seed?
6. What falls from one of the wagons in Chapter 2?
(a) A bundle of blankets.
(b) A pair of chairs.
(c) Abbie's sister.
(d) Bags of flour.
7. What advice is Abbie given in Chapter 6?
(a) To pursue singing.
(b) To get married and have children.
(c) To pursue writing.
(d) To get out of Iowa.
8. Where does the community gather in Chapter 3?
(a) The Lutz house.
(b) The Matthews house.
(c) The Deal house.
(d) The Mackenzie house.
9. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
(a) Because there are few women around to be friends with.
(b) Because Christine would be embarassed.
(c) Because Abbie doesn't like people to know what she thinks.
(d) Because Abbie doesn't want Christine as a friend.
10. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
(a) Clothes for their children.
(b) Street signs.
(c) A picnic table.
11. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By releasing birds in the field.
(b) By spraying chemicals.
(c) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(d) By burning it.
12. What does Abbie name her second child?
13. Where does the Mackenzie family come from?
14. How old is Will when is father has to leave the farm in Chapter 4?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Nineteen years old.
(c) Twenty-one years old.
(d) Eighteen years old.
15. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) Because they were given a free plot of land.
(b) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(c) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(d) Because they inherited property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Mackenzie family live?
2. What does Will use the 1872 crop for?
3. In Chapter 1, where does Abbie lie while listening to her sister tell stories?
4. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
5. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)