|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
(a) Clothes for their children.
(c) Street signs.
(d) A picnic table.
2. What does Ed Matthews promise Abbie when he hears her singing?
(a) That he'll take her to Chicago.
(b) That he'll take her to New York.
(c) That he'll take her to Paris.
(d) That he'll take her to London.
3. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop?
(a) It dies during a drought.
(b) It is swept away by floods.
(c) It is ruined by a blight.
(d) It is eaten by grasshoppers.
4. What does Abbie think of Christine?
(a) That Christine is forgiving.
(b) That Christine is unpleasant.
(c) That Christine is hard-working.
(d) That Christine is spoiled.
5. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
(a) Abbie acts like it is a joke.
(b) Abbie lets her mother respond on her behalf.
(c) Abbie declines to marry Ed.
(d) Abbie agrees to marry Ed.
6. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By spraying chemicals.
(b) By burning it.
(c) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(d) By releasing birds in the field.
7. What advice is Abbie given in Chapter 6?
(a) To pursue writing.
(b) To pursue singing.
(c) To get married and have children.
(d) To get out of Iowa.
8. What does Abbie send Ed in Chapter 6?
(a) A birthday gift.
(b) A letter.
(c) A post card.
(d) A lock of hair.
9. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
(d) Black Hawk Falls.
10. What county does the eldest Mackenzie daughter live in?
(a) Van Buren County.
(b) Blackhawk County.
(c) Mahaska County.
(d) Cedar County.
11. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
(a) That he has an old piano that she can have.
(b) That Will has been asking about her.
(c) That Will has been injured in the war.
(d) That Abbie has musical talent.
12. What crop does Will plant in Chapter 11?
13. Which family seems to be doing better than their neighbors?
(a) The O'Connors.
(b) The Reinmuellers.
(c) The Wentworths.
(d) The Lutzs.
14. Which river do Abbie and Will encounter on their journey?
(a) The Loup River.
(b) The White River.
(c) The Platte River.
(d) The Elkhorn River.
15. Where does Will decide to move his family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Mackenzie family live?
2. Where does the community gather in Chapter 3?
3. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
4. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
5. Why do the Mackenzies hold a party in Chapter 4?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)