|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(b) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(c) Because they inherited property.
(d) Because they were given a free plot of land.
2. What does Abbie think about Grandma Deal?
(a) That Grandma Deal is negative.
(b) That Grandma Deal is irresponsible.
(c) That Grandma Deal is intelligent.
(d) That Grandma Deal is funny.
3. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
(c) Black Hawk Falls.
4. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
(a) Not sending home any money.
(b) Not marrying Ed Matthews.
(c) Moving to Nebraska.
(d) Marrying a Deal man.
5. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
(a) Lack of sun.
(b) A blight.
(c) An infestation of mice.
6. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
(a) The onset of winter.
(b) The neighbors moving in.
(c) Will's drinking problem.
(d) An infestation of insects.
7. What are the rumors that go through the community in Chapter 3 about?
8. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
(a) The old country.
(b) Monsters in the woods.
(c) A fantasy world.
(d) Kings and queens.
9. What advice is Abbie given in Chapter 6?
(a) To get out of Iowa.
(b) To pursue writing.
(c) To get married and have children.
(d) To pursue singing.
10. What does Abbie do when she goes into the forest?
11. What is the name of the family that joins Abbie and Will on their journey?
12. Who is Ed Mathews' father?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) The church preacher.
(c) A wealthy rancher.
(d) The local doctor.
13. Where does Abbie's mother keep the mementos from the Mackenzies' time of affluence?
(a) In a biscuit tin.
(b) In a skin-covered box.
(c) In a wooden chest.
(d) In an album.
14. What crop does Will plant in Chapter 11?
15. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
(a) Because Christine would be embarassed.
(b) Because Abbie doesn't want Christine as a friend.
(c) Because there are few women around to be friends with.
(d) Because Abbie doesn't like people to know what she thinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What county does the eldest Mackenzie daughter live in?
2. Where does the community gather in Chapter 3?
3. Who is the eldest Mackenzie daughter married to?
4. Who has passed away in Chapter 1?
5. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)