|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
(a) That someday Abbie's daughter will use Maggie's gift.
(b) That Abbie will be a famous artist.
(c) That Abbie will stay in Iowa even after she's married.
(d) That Abbie will be happy in her marriage.
2. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
(a) A blight.
(c) An infestation of mice.
(d) Lack of sun.
3. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
(a) Because there are few women around to be friends with.
(b) Because Abbie doesn't want Christine as a friend.
(c) Because Abbie doesn't like people to know what she thinks.
(d) Because Christine would be embarassed.
4. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
5. What do Abbie and Will make in Chapter 14?
(b) Street signs.
(c) A picnic table.
(d) Clothes for their children.
6. What does Abbie name her second child?
7. What is Abbie suffering from during the journey from Iowa?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) Poison ivy.
(c) Morning sickness.
(d) Dizzy spells.
8. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
(a) Will's drinking problem.
(b) The neighbors moving in.
(c) The onset of winter.
(d) An infestation of insects.
9. What does Abbie try to focus her attention on in the spring in Chapter 15?
(a) Schooling her children.
(b) Singing lessons.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Keeping a garden.
10. What does Abbie do when she goes into the forest?
11. How much money is Will given to fight?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Three hundred dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
12. What does Abbie think about Grandma Deal?
(a) That Grandma Deal is negative.
(b) That Grandma Deal is funny.
(c) That Grandma Deal is irresponsible.
(d) That Grandma Deal is intelligent.
13. Where does the Mackenzie family come from?
14. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
(a) A silo.
(b) A well.
(c) A barn.
(d) A paddock.
15. What does Ed ask of Abbie in order to fulfill his promise?
(a) That Abbie convince her sister to marry Ed.
(b) That Abbie split her money with Ed.
(c) That Abbie marry Ed.
(d) That Abbie not tell Ed's family about his promise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
2. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
3. What does Abbie's family admonish her for in Chapter 13?
4. How many rooms does the first house Will builds have?
5. To what state are the Mackenzies moving?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)