|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(b) Because they were given a free plot of land.
(c) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
(d) Because they inherited property.
2. What does Abbie become aware of near the camp in Chapter 10?
(c) A geyser.
(d) A hiding spot for outlaws.
3. What kind of lessons does Abbie take in Blackhawk County?
(a) Cooking lessons.
(b) Driving lessons.
(c) Art lessons.
(d) Piano lessons.
4. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Will has been injured in the war.
(b) That Abbie has musical talent.
(c) That Will has been asking about her.
(d) That he has an old piano that she can have.
5. Who helps Abbie when it is time to deliver her baby?
(a) Abbie's mother.
6. What does Abbie name her second child?
7. What kind of house does Will decide to build?
(a) A log cabin.
(b) A brick house.
(c) A sod house.
(d) A wood house.
8. Where does the Mackenzie family come from?
9. Where is Will's father sent in Chapter 4?
(a) To the General Assembly.
(b) To the Olympic games.
(c) To a conference in New York.
(d) To an agriculture show.
10. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) His sons taking over the farm.
(b) The community that will build up around them.
(c) Taking his wife to New York.
(d) Serving as a government official.
11. What does Abbie think of Christine?
(a) That Christine is unpleasant.
(b) That Christine is forgiving.
(c) That Christine is spoiled.
(d) That Christine is hard-working.
12. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
(d) Black Hawk Falls.
13. How does Abbie respond to Ed's offer of marriage?
(a) Abbie lets her mother respond on her behalf.
(b) Abbie declines to marry Ed.
(c) Abbie agrees to marry Ed.
(d) Abbie acts like it is a joke.
14. What does Abbie try to focus her attention on in the spring in Chapter 15?
(a) Schooling her children.
(b) Singing lessons.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Keeping a garden.
15. What is Abbie's sister telling stories about in Chapter 1?
(a) Monsters in the woods.
(b) A fantasy world.
(c) The old country.
(d) Kings and queens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abbie keep her feelings about Christine hidden?
2. What does Abbie find in the forest in Chapter 3?
3. What animal does Will keep as a pet?
4. Who gives Abbie advice in Chapter 6?
5. What does Abbie name her first born child?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)