|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abbie feel about Grandpa Deal?
(a) Abbie is scared of Grandpa Deal.
(b) Abbie is annoyed by Grandpa Deal.
(c) Abbie hats Grandpa Deal.
(d) Abbie adores Grandpa Deal.
2. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By spraying chemicals.
(b) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(c) By releasing birds in the field.
(d) By burning it.
3. Who gives Abbie advice in Chapter 6?
(a) The post master's wife.
(b) The school master's wife.
(c) The doctor's wife.
(d) The preacher's wife.
4. What occupation does Abbie take on in Chapter 5?
(b) Dress making.
(c) Shop keeping.
(d) Transcription work.
5. What does Will use the 1872 crop for?
(a) To re-enforce the house's walls.
(b) To feed the livestock.
(c) To heat the house.
(d) For mulch.
6. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
7. Where does Abbie's mother keep the mementos from the Mackenzies' time of affluence?
(a) In a wooden chest.
(b) In a biscuit tin.
(c) In a skin-covered box.
(d) In an album.
8. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
(a) A barn.
(b) A silo.
(c) A well.
(d) A paddock.
9. What does Will dream about in Chapter 12?
(a) His sons taking over the farm.
(b) Taking his wife to New York.
(c) The community that will build up around them.
(d) Serving as a government official.
10. How does Abbie feel while camping in Chapter 10?
11. How does Sarah Lutz's brother die?
(a) From a snake bite.
(b) By a kick to the head from a donkey.
(c) He drowns.
(d) From a high fever.
12. What promise does Abbie make her mother in Chapter 7?
(a) That Abbie will be happy in her marriage.
(b) That someday Abbie's daughter will use Maggie's gift.
(c) That Abbie will be a famous artist.
(d) That Abbie will stay in Iowa even after she's married.
13. What does Henry lose in Chapter 10?
(a) A wagon wheel.
(b) A sack of potatoes.
(c) One of his horses.
(d) His hat.
14. What is Abbie suffering from during the journey from Iowa?
(a) Morning sickness.
(b) Poison ivy.
(c) Dizzy spells.
(d) Chicken pox.
15. Where does the Mackenzie family come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbie send Ed in Chapter 6?
2. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
3. Which family seems to be doing better than their neighbors?
4. What ruins Abbie's happiness in her new home in Chapter 10?
5. What do Will and Abbie plant together in Chapter 11?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)