|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abbie decide to create in Chapter 14?
(a) A family album.
(b) The perfect Christmas.
(c) A community council.
(d) A flower garden.
2. What does Will use the 1872 crop for?
(a) To feed the livestock.
(b) For mulch.
(c) To re-enforce the house's walls.
(d) To heat the house.
3. What happens to the Deals' sixth crop?
(a) It is ruined by a blight.
(b) It is eaten by grasshoppers.
(c) It is swept away by floods.
(d) It dies during a drought.
4. What does Will insist on naming his son, who is born in 1872?
5. Why are the Mackenzies moving?
(a) Because they inherited property.
(b) Because they were given a free plot of land.
(c) To be close to the eldest Mackenzie daughter.
(d) To get out of an area where no crops grow.
6. What does Abbie name the child she gives birth to in Chapter 15?
7. How many rooms does the first house Will builds have?
8. What does Abbie tell Will after their first child is born?
(a) That she doesn't want any more children.
(b) That she wants to go to art classes.
(c) That they need their own house.
(d) That they should move to another state.
9. What kind of house does Will decide to build?
(a) A log cabin.
(b) A wood house.
(c) A brick house.
(d) A sod house.
10. Who helps Abbie when it is time to deliver her baby?
(d) Abbie's mother.
11. What are the rumors that go through the community in Chapter 3 about?
12. What name do Sarah and Abbie come up with for their town?
(d) Black Hawk Falls.
13. What does Grandpa Deal tell Abbie in Chapter 6?
(a) That Will has been asking about her.
(b) That Will has been injured in the war.
(c) That Abbie has musical talent.
(d) That he has an old piano that she can have.
14. What does Abbie name her first born child?
(a) William Jr.
15. How does Will get rid of the insects in his field?
(a) By releasing birds in the field.
(b) By spraying chemicals.
(c) By planting foul-smelling flowers.
(d) By burning it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict begins in Chapter 5?
2. What affected the Deals' first crops in Chapter 12?
3. What advice is Abbie given in Chapter 6?
4. What does Abbie name her second child?
5. What do Will and Abbie work together to make on their land?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)