* The Mackenzies are a poor immigrant family in America who once lived a privileged life in Scotland.
* Following the death of her husband, Maggie Mackenzie moves her seven children from Illinois to Iowa.
* Abbie Mackenzie has big dreams of becoming an important person and becoming a famous singer.
* The Mackenzies stay in a small shed until the house being built for them is ready.
* The community gathers at the Deal house, as rumors about hostile Indians circulate.
* Abbie meets Will Deal, who has raised a deer from infancy, but must now release it into the wild.
* Abbie finds a rock in the forest, which she likes to pretend is a stage on which to sing.
* The child of Abbie's eldest sister dies of an unknown virus.
* Abbie begins attending school.
* Ed Matthews kills Will Deal's deer.
* Will's father, Grandpa Deal, is sent to represent Blackhawk County...
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)