• The Mackenzies are a poor immigrant family in America who once lived a privileged life in Scotland.
• Following the death of her husband, Maggie Mackenzie moves her seven children from Illinois to Iowa.
• Abbie Mackenzie has big dreams of becoming an important person and becoming a famous singer.
• The Mackenzies stay in a small shed until the house being built for them is ready.
• The community gathers at the Deal house, as rumors about hostile Indians circulate.
• Abbie meets Will Deal, who has raised a deer from infancy, but must now release it into the wild.
• Abbie finds a rock in the forest, which she likes to pretend is a stage on which to sing.
• The child of Abbie's eldest sister dies of an unknown virus.
• Abbie begins attending school.
• Ed Matthews kills Will Deal's deer.
• Will's father, Grandpa Deal, is sent to represent Blackhawk County...
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)