|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jensen believe his father continued to call him?
2. What role does Jensen believe that his father played in his activism?
3. With what items does Backster get the most response from the plants?
4. What does Backster call his research?
5. To what phrase has Erich Fromm changed Descartes' famous saying "I think, therefore I am?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea of the connectivity between progress (i.e. hot showers, automobiles, computers) and the destruction of the world. What do you believe it would take for us to stop harming the world by the way we are living? Is there any way for us to become at one with nature again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In his research with plants, Cleve Backster discovers that plants are affected by certain stimuli. What, in your opinion, does the outcome of this research mean? Why is it significant? Why was it so important to Jensen that he be able to witness a response from a plant instead of just taking Backster's word that it had happened?
Essay Topic 3
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)