|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jensen describe Crohn's disease?
2. When did Jensen's bees first die?
3. Jensen is trying to rekindle his love for what sport?
4. What did Ruth Benedict identify as a differentiating factor for "bad" cultures?
5. What type of insects does Jensen try his hand at raising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
2. How did Jensen learn not to place his beehives in an aesthetic manner?
3. Why did Jensen's bees die?
4. How do traumatized people act?
5. What does Jensen learn through his dream about the Dreamgiver?
6. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
7. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
8. What two options does Jensen offer for the time when civilization finally collapses?
9. What does Jensen say that it takes in order for one to get to know oneself?
10. In the fairy tale Briar Rose, why does the king leave one of the Wise Women out of his feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of silencing as introduced by Jensen in the first chapter of his book. Do you believe he is correct in his interpretation of the way humans behave? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In several places in the novel, Jensen questions the idea of individual ownership. For instance, when Jensen cleans his barn he wonders if he owns the mice and can do with them as he wishes just because he owns the barn. What is your opinion of this idea of personal ownership? What can be owned and what cannot?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the idea that nature wants to "play" with us. Do you think this is possible? Why or why not? Can you describe a circumstance where you believe nature was playing with you?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)