|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Jack Forbes say that those who would destroy suffer?
2. What is not a symptom of Crohn's?
3. What percentage of those polled thought it was acceptable for police to use pepper spray on nonviolent, non-resisting protestors?
4. Why did Jensen not go to the hospital with his Crohn's?
5. What does Jensen conclude that it is the responsibility of members of a community to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen learn through his dream about the Dreamgiver?
2. How does Jensen critique his writing in the chapter "Coercion?"
3. Why did Jensen's bees die?
4. Under what circumstances did the plants become attuned to the brine shrimp?
5. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
6. To what does Jensen say that an emphasis on production ultimately leads?
7. What does Jensen's friend Dave think about his life?
8. What does Jensen say that it takes in order for one to get to know oneself?
9. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
10. How does food exemplify the difficulty of withdrawing oneself from the current economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jensen's relationship with his father. How did this relationship impact Jensen's life? How did it change when Jensen became and adult?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that a life is made more valuable by truly getting to know oneself? How do you think the world would work if everyone took the road that Jensen did? Are wage workers a necessity of modern society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)