|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jensen believe his father continued to call him?
2. For what experience does Jensen learn he has been having flashbacks to and not realizing it?
3. What does Jensen say underlies the different forms of coercion?
4. To what phrase has Erich Fromm changed Descartes' famous saying "I think, therefore I am?"
5. To what does Cleve Backster give polygraph tests?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Connection and Cooperation" how did the Indians punish the hunter who violated rules against over kill?
2. Under what circumstances did the plants become attuned to the brine shrimp?
3. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
4. Briefly describe the parable of the box.
5. In the fairy tale Briar Rose, why does the king leave one of the Wise Women out of his feast?
6. How does food exemplify the difficulty of withdrawing oneself from the current economy?
7. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
8. Briefly describe the parable of the box.
9. How does Dr. Judith Herman describe atrocities?
10. How did Jensen learn not to place his beehives in an aesthetic manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several places in the novel, Jensen questions the idea of individual ownership. For instance, when Jensen cleans his barn he wonders if he owns the mice and can do with them as he wishes just because he owns the barn. What is your opinion of this idea of personal ownership? What can be owned and what cannot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jensen's experiences with bee keeping. How did the loss of his bees the first time affect him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of silencing as introduced by Jensen in the first chapter of his book. Do you believe he is correct in his interpretation of the way humans behave? Why or why not?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)