|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the oldest bees do?
2. How does Jensen describe his beginnings in the bee business?
3. For what experience does Jensen learn he has been having flashbacks to and not realizing it?
4. Does Dr. Herman believe the perpetrators of atrocities believe their own lies?
5. How long does it take a person to die of starvation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the parable of the box.
2. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
3. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
4. What two options does Jensen offer for the time when civilization finally collapses?
5. In "Connection and Cooperation" how did the Indians punish the hunter who violated rules against over kill?
6. To what does Jensen say that an emphasis on production ultimately leads?
7. Under what circumstances did the plants become attuned to the brine shrimp?
8. What does Jensen's friend Dave think about his life?
9. How does food exemplify the difficulty of withdrawing oneself from the current economy?
10. What are two problems that Jensen identifies with violence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jensen's relationship with his father. How did this relationship impact Jensen's life? How did it change when Jensen became and adult?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jensen's experiences with bee keeping. How did the loss of his bees the first time affect him?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)