|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it not possible to recover from an atrocity?
2. Why did the San Carlos Apache people not respond to the letters send by the forest service requesting input about putting additional telescopes on Mount Graham?
3. What is the unique creation of civilizations?
4. Does Dr. Herman believe the perpetrators of atrocities believe their own lies?
5. For what experience does Jensen learn he has been having flashbacks to and not realizing it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
2. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
3. What does Jensen say is the only honest statement that the editor of a certain paper ever told him?
4. What does Jensen say that it takes in order for one to get to know oneself?
5. What does Jensen's friend Dave think about his life?
6. In the fairy tale Briar Rose, why does the king leave one of the Wise Women out of his feast?
7. How do traumatized people act?
8. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
9. What does Jensen say about intimacy?
10. What does Jensen say is the real lesson of Jesus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea in the chapter entitled "Violence" that by not killing the goose earlier Jensen caused two deaths. How responsible do you feel that Jensen is for the death of the hen? Is he just as guilty as the goose? How does this idea translate into the idea of criminals set free to kill, rape or steal again? Are those who set him free just as guilty as the criminal?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the idea of the connectivity between progress (i.e. hot showers, automobiles, computers) and the destruction of the world. What do you believe it would take for us to stop harming the world by the way we are living? Is there any way for us to become at one with nature again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the interaction between the Maori Witi and Jensen. What does Witi hope to learn from Jensen? What is he trying to find out?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)