|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the oldest bees do?
2. In order to survive, what must we learn to discern the difference between?
3. What is the third category of people that Fromm identifies?
4. What does Jensen say underlies the different forms of coercion?
5. Which fairy tale does psychologist Rollo May use allegorically?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two problems that Jensen identifies with violence?
2. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
3. How does food exemplify the difficulty of withdrawing oneself from the current economy?
4. How do traumatized people act?
5. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
6. How does Jensen critique his writing in the chapter "Coercion?"
7. What does Jensen say that it takes in order for one to get to know oneself?
8. What does Jensen mean when he says that he "died" to Crohn's disease?
9. Why did Jensen's bees die?
10. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea of the connectivity between progress (i.e. hot showers, automobiles, computers) and the destruction of the world. What do you believe it would take for us to stop harming the world by the way we are living? Is there any way for us to become at one with nature again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jensen's journey with Crohn's disease. How does it affect him physically? Emotionally?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of silencing as introduced by Jensen in the first chapter of his book. Do you believe he is correct in his interpretation of the way humans behave? Why or why not?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)