|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what phrase has Erich Fromm changed Descartes' famous saying "I think, therefore I am?"
2. In order to survive, what must we learn to discern the difference between?
3. Why does Jensen move to Spokane?
4. How long does it take a person to die of starvation?
5. What system to manage wealth will allow a society to be insecure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen mean when he says that he "died" to Crohn's disease?
2. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
3. In the fairy tale Briar Rose, why does the king leave one of the Wise Women out of his feast?
4. What are two problems that Jensen identifies with violence?
5. To what does Jensen say that an emphasis on production ultimately leads?
6. In "Connection and Cooperation" how did the Indians punish the hunter who violated rules against over kill?
7. What does Jensen learn through his dream about the Dreamgiver?
8. How does Dr. Judith Herman describe atrocities?
9. Briefly describe the parable of the box.
10. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jensen's experiences with bee keeping. How did the loss of his bees the first time affect him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of silencing as introduced by Jensen in the first chapter of his book. Do you believe he is correct in his interpretation of the way humans behave? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jensen refers in his chapter "Seeking a Third Way" to an incident when he spoke out against a woman who disciplined her child. Do you think that Jensen acted correctly? Should others do the same? Was the mother wrong? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)