|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working with bees, where did Jensen live most of the time?
2. Which fairy tale does psychologist Rollo May use allegorically?
3. From whom did Jensen borrow the money for his bees?
4. What does the word "kairos" mean?
5. How often does Jensen have nightmares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleve Backster come to be experimenting on plants?
2. What does Jensen learn through his dream about the Dreamgiver?
3. As a beekeeper, how did Jensen make money with his bees?
4. What does Jensen say is the real lesson of Jesus?
5. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
6. What are two problems that Jensen identifies with violence?
7. How does Jensen critique his writing in the chapter "Coercion?"
8. Under what circumstances did the plants become attuned to the brine shrimp?
9. Why does the Forest Service choose to give heart rot fungus to healthy trees?
10. How did Jensen learn not to place his beehives in an aesthetic manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jensen's journey with Crohn's disease. How does it affect him physically? Emotionally?
Essay Topic 2
In several places in the novel, Jensen questions the idea of individual ownership. For instance, when Jensen cleans his barn he wonders if he owns the mice and can do with them as he wishes just because he owns the barn. What is your opinion of this idea of personal ownership? What can be owned and what cannot?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the idea that some cultures do not thrive on violence but instead discourage it. Why do these cultures disappear?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)