|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen ultimately believe will happen to the world because of the way humans treat it?
2. What does Jensen indicate is the key to interspecies communication?
3. Why does Jensen really go to graduate school?
4. Jensen says there is a language older than _______________.
5. By what means does Jensen not get the meat that he eats?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jensen, what is the role of heroes?
2. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
3. What is the coyote tree?
4. Why does Jensen take the two chicks to the coyote tree?
5. What are two problems that Jensen identifies with violence?
6. Why does Jensen want to blow up a dam?
7. What was Jensen's childhood like?
8. What does Jensen learn through his dream about the Dreamgiver?
9. To what does Jensen say that an emphasis on production ultimately leads?
10. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that a life is made more valuable by truly getting to know oneself? How do you think the world would work if everyone took the road that Jensen did? Are wage workers a necessity of modern society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jensen's relationship with his father. How did this relationship impact Jensen's life? How did it change when Jensen became and adult?
Essay Topic 3
In several places in the novel, Jensen questions the idea of individual ownership. For instance, when Jensen cleans his barn he wonders if he owns the mice and can do with them as he wishes just because he owns the barn. What is your opinion of this idea of personal ownership? What can be owned and what cannot?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)