Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen indicate is the key to interspecies communication?
2. Where do the Maori people live?
3. What activity does Jensen dream that he is doing?
4. By what means does Jensen not get the meat that he eats?
5. How did William Doherty die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jensen's experience with Crohn's disease?
2. Under what circumstances did the plants become attuned to the brine shrimp?
3. What was Jensen's childhood like?
4. Why did Jensen's bees die?
5. What does Jensen mean when he says that he "died" to Crohn's disease?
6. Describe a conversation of death.
7. What does Jensen say is the real lesson of Jesus?
8. In what ways does Jensen write in the chapter "The Safety of Metaphor" that the salmon and humans are similar?
9. How does food exemplify the difficulty of withdrawing oneself from the current economy?
10. What activities do Jensen's students participate in during his creative writing class and what is the purpose of these activities?
Essay Topic 1
In his research with plants, Cleve Backster discovers that plants are affected by certain stimuli. What, in your opinion, does the outcome of this research mean? Why is it significant? Why was it so important to Jensen that he be able to witness a response from a plant instead of just taking Backster's word that it had happened?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the idea in the chapter entitled "Violence" that by not killing the goose earlier Jensen caused two deaths. How responsible do you feel that Jensen is for the death of the hen? Is he just as guilty as the goose? How does this idea translate into the idea of criminals set free to kill, rape or steal again? Are those who set him free just as guilty as the criminal?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Jensen that money and the pursuit of money is the root of the problems with current society?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)