|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main lesson Jensen says he learns in graduate school?
2. Whom did the judge in the animal abuse case attack?
3. How does Jensen's high jumping coach treat him?
4. Why does the mother in the social security office berate her daughter?
5. For what reason were the Arawaks exterminated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jensen tries to wall off the pain from his foot while jumping?
2. What does one of Jensen's scientific friends tell Jensen that would have to happen for her to believe that communication between species actually took place?
3. Why does Jensen say that he can provide no scientific verification for conversations between humans and nonhumans?
4. Why does Jensen believe that Jesus was a feminist of sorts?
5. Why does Jensen want to blow up a dam?
6. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
7. Describe one of the ways in which Jensen says that humans justify their actions even if these actions are cruel or make no sense.
8. Why does Jensen not believe that General Norman Schwarzkopf should be considered a hero?
9. Researchers that experimented with baby monkeys determined who to be the best monsters?
10. According to Jensen, what is the purpose of silencing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea that some cultures do not thrive on violence but instead discourage it. Why do these cultures disappear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of silencing as introduced by Jensen in the first chapter of his book. Do you believe he is correct in his interpretation of the way humans behave? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the idea that there is no quick answer to the problems that affect the world. What is your opinion of Jensen's three reasons that he cannot suggest a quick fix to heal the world? Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)