|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen argue manifests the desires of our culture?
2. With what is Lake Coeur d'Alene contaminated?
3. Who introduced Jensen to the idea of silencing?
4. What does Jensen believe is the purpose of compulsory education?
5. What two things does Jensen indicate are often associated in modern culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
2. What is the original meaning of the word "economics?"
3. What does one of Jensen's scientific friends tell Jensen that would have to happen for her to believe that communication between species actually took place?
4. Describe one of the ways in which Jensen says that humans justify their actions even if these actions are cruel or make no sense.
5. Why does Jensen take the two chicks to the coyote tree?
6. What does Jensen list as some of the things that human being need?
7. What does Jensen wonder about the ladybug pupae feel?
8. What is significant about Jensen's dream about the cranes?
9. According to Jensen, what is the role of heroes?
10. Researchers that experimented with baby monkeys determined who to be the best monsters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea of the connectivity between progress (i.e. hot showers, automobiles, computers) and the destruction of the world. What do you believe it would take for us to stop harming the world by the way we are living? Is there any way for us to become at one with nature again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jensen's journey with Crohn's disease. How does it affect him physically? Emotionally?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)