|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of books were Jensen's family members allowed to read on the Sabbath?
2. What type of tree is the coyote tree?
3. What does Jensen do for a living?
4. How does Jensen say a person should define themselves?
5. What types of animals does Jensen raise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen's nine-year-old friend tell him about the bushes in his yard?
2. What does Jensen wonder about the ladybug pupae feel?
3. How do the Semai resolve their arguments?
4. What role do the stars play in Jensen's life?
5. Why does Jensen not believe that General Norman Schwarzkopf should be considered a hero?
6. Why did the newspaper journalists believe that the Yanomame Indians were stupid?
7. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
8. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
9. What is the original meaning of the word "economics?"
10. How does Jensen interpret his dreams of fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Jensen that money and the pursuit of money is the root of the problems with current society?
Essay Topic 2
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jensen's relationship with his father. How did this relationship impact Jensen's life? How did it change when Jensen became and adult?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)