|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason were the Arawaks exterminated?
2. How does Jensen indicate that our culture uses God?
3. What does Jensen ultimately believe will happen to the world because of the way humans treat it?
4. What does Jensen's nine-year-old friend notice that Jensen didn't?
5. What type of tree is the coyote tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jensen come to be high jumping?
2. Why does Jensen believe that Jesus was a feminist of sorts?
3. Describe one of the ways in which Jensen says that humans justify their actions even if these actions are cruel or make no sense.
4. What is significant about Jensen's dream about the cranes?
5. How does Jensen's father rationalize the fact that he beats the members of his family?
6. What is the original meaning of the word "economics?"
7. Why did the newspaper journalists believe that the Yanomame Indians were stupid?
8. What does Jensen's nine-year-old friend tell him about the bushes in his yard?
9. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
10. What does Jensen wonder about the ladybug pupae feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the cultural eyeglasses determine the way the people perceive the things that happen around them? What makes up or creates these cultural eyeglasses?
Essay Topic 2
Jensen refers in his chapter "Seeking a Third Way" to an incident when he spoke out against a woman who disciplined her child. Do you think that Jensen acted correctly? Should others do the same? Was the mother wrong? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that a life is made more valuable by truly getting to know oneself? How do you think the world would work if everyone took the road that Jensen did? Are wage workers a necessity of modern society? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)