|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people speak out against violence in disciplining children on the radio talk show that Jensen listens to?
2. What does Jensen think about when he flies?
3. In what subject did Jensen major in graduate school?
4. What does Jensen believe is the purpose of compulsory education?
5. What does Jensen say is the best thing that happened to him at the School of Mines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jensen come to be high jumping?
2. Describe one of the ways in which Jensen says that humans justify their actions even if these actions are cruel or make no sense.
3. What is the coyote tree?
4. Why does Jensen not believe that General Norman Schwarzkopf should be considered a hero?
5. What role do the stars play in Jensen's life?
6. In what ways does Jensen write in the chapter "The Safety of Metaphor" that the salmon and humans are similar?
7. According to Jensen, what is the purpose of silencing?
8. According to Jensen, what is the role of heroes?
9. What does Jensen's nine-year-old friend tell him about the bushes in his yard?
10. What does Jensen say is one of the problems with our current economic system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter "Insatiability" a Maori asks Jensen about his motivation for working for the indigenous people. What is your opinion of Jensen's motivations? Do you believe they are pure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jensen refers in his chapter "Seeking a Third Way" to an incident when he spoke out against a woman who disciplined her child. Do you think that Jensen acted correctly? Should others do the same? Was the mother wrong? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the idea that nature wants to "play" with us. Do you think this is possible? Why or why not? Can you describe a circumstance where you believe nature was playing with you?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)