|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen think about when he flies?
2. What happens after the mice in the barn are killed?
3. What does Jensen do with the surveyors' flags?
4. What animal cares for the Sand Creek massacre survivors?
5. What is there room for in the world of economics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jensen take the two chicks to the coyote tree?
2. According to Jensen, what is the role of heroes?
3. How do the Semai resolve their arguments?
4. How does Jensen interpret his dreams of fishing?
5. What does Jensen list as some of the things that human being need?
6. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
7. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
8. Why does Jensen believe that Jesus was a feminist of sorts?
9. How does Jensen come to be high jumping?
10. What does Jensen's nine-year-old friend tell him about the bushes in his yard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his research with plants, Cleve Backster discovers that plants are affected by certain stimuli. What, in your opinion, does the outcome of this research mean? Why is it significant? Why was it so important to Jensen that he be able to witness a response from a plant instead of just taking Backster's word that it had happened?
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter "Insatiability" a Maori asks Jensen about his motivation for working for the indigenous people. What is your opinion of Jensen's motivations? Do you believe they are pure? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
If, as Jensen suggests that it might, human civilization finally causes the destruction of the world, what do you think the outcome will be? Do you agree with either of Jensen's conclusions as suggested in the final chapter of the novel or do you believe there is another option available?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)