|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen say saved his life as a child?
2. What types of people have hurt women the most?
3. According to Jensen, on what belief is the entire culture based?
4. What is the main lesson Jensen says he learns in graduate school?
5. What finally kills Jensen's aphids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen say is one of the problems with our current economic system?
2. Why did the newspaper journalists believe that the Yanomame Indians were stupid?
3. What happens when Jensen tries to wall off the pain from his foot while jumping?
4. What activities do Jensen's students participate in during his creative writing class and what is the purpose of these activities?
5. What was Jensen's childhood like?
6. How does Jensen's father rationalize the fact that he beats the members of his family?
7. Describe one of the ways in which Jensen says that humans justify their actions even if these actions are cruel or make no sense.
8. What does Jensen wonder about the ladybug pupae feel?
9. What does Jensen list as some of the things that human being need?
10. What is the coyote tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea that nature wants to "play" with us. Do you think this is possible? Why or why not? Can you describe a circumstance where you believe nature was playing with you?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the idea that some cultures do not thrive on violence but instead discourage it. Why do these cultures disappear?
Essay Topic 3
Jensen refers in his chapter "Seeking a Third Way" to an incident when he spoke out against a woman who disciplined her child. Do you think that Jensen acted correctly? Should others do the same? Was the mother wrong? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)