|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jensen say is the best thing that happened to him at the School of Mines?
2. Whom did Jensen's father not beat?
3. In what does Jensen say his economic books should be written?
4. What device does Jensen say determines our view of surrounding circumstances?
5. For what sports class did Jensen sign up in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jensen not believe that General Norman Schwarzkopf should be considered a hero?
2. What does Jensen list as some of the things that human being need?
3. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
4. How does Jensen come to be high jumping?
5. What happens when Jensen tries to wall off the pain from his foot while jumping?
6. What was Jensen's childhood like?
7. Describe a conversation of death.
8. Why does Jensen believe that Jesus was a feminist of sorts?
9. According to Jensen, what is the role of heroes?
10. Why does Jensen say that he can provide no scientific verification for conversations between humans and nonhumans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea that there is no quick answer to the problems that affect the world. What is your opinion of Jensen's three reasons that he cannot suggest a quick fix to heal the world? Do you agree with his assessments? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jensen refers in his chapter "Seeking a Third Way" to an incident when he spoke out against a woman who disciplined her child. Do you think that Jensen acted correctly? Should others do the same? Was the mother wrong? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the idea of the connectivity between progress (i.e. hot showers, automobiles, computers) and the destruction of the world. What do you believe it would take for us to stop harming the world by the way we are living? Is there any way for us to become at one with nature again? Why or why not?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)