|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Jensen's father not beat?
2. Which Maori interrogates Jensen?
3. How does Jensen feel when he realizes he can speak to animals and make them understand?
4. What did Jensen's father say after he had beat someone?
5. What types of animals does Jensen raise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the stars play in Jensen's life?
2. How does Jensen interpret his dreams of fishing?
3. According to Jensen, what is the purpose of silencing?
4. In what ways does Jensen write in the chapter "The Safety of Metaphor" that the salmon and humans are similar?
5. What does Jensen write that current culture presupposes?
6. How does Jensen's father rationalize the fact that he beats the members of his family?
7. What was Jensen's childhood like?
8. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
9. Why does Jensen take the two chicks to the coyote tree?
10. What does Jensen wonder about the ladybug pupae feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his chapter "Claims to Virtue," Jensen mentions that Jesus is a feminist of sorts. Search the Christian Bible for examples of Jesus' actions that may have lead Jensen to this conclusion. Describe what you find and explain if you agree or disagree with Jensen's belief.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the idea that some cultures do not thrive on violence but instead discourage it. Why do these cultures disappear?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jensen's journey with Crohn's disease. How does it affect him physically? Emotionally?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)