|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jensen, on what belief is the entire culture based?
2. Where do the Maori people live?
3. When does Jensen say that his conversation with the coyotes began?
4. What does Jensen indicate is the key to interspecies communication?
5. At what university did Jensen teach a creative writing class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jensen list as some of the things that human being need?
2. What dilemma does Jensen say that students face in school?
3. How does Jensen interpret his dreams of fishing?
4. What is the original meaning of the word "economics?"
5. Researchers that experimented with baby monkeys determined who to be the best monsters?
6. In what way is high jumping therapeutic for Jensen?
7. Why does Jensen say that economics textbooks should be written in blood?
8. How do the Semai resolve their arguments?
9. How does Jensen's father rationalize the fact that he beats the members of his family?
10. In what ways does Jensen write in the chapter "The Safety of Metaphor" that the salmon and humans are similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his research with plants, Cleve Backster discovers that plants are affected by certain stimuli. What, in your opinion, does the outcome of this research mean? Why is it significant? Why was it so important to Jensen that he be able to witness a response from a plant instead of just taking Backster's word that it had happened?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the idea that nature wants to "play" with us. Do you think this is possible? Why or why not? Can you describe a circumstance where you believe nature was playing with you?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jensen's journey with Crohn's disease. How does it affect him physically? Emotionally?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)