|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zech respond to Glenda's miscarriage?
2. How many cattle drives are the MacIveys doing in 1888?
3. What month does Zech travel south to find new marshtackies?
4. How does Tobias feel about Zech's plan for the land he has worked on?
5. Why does Emma recommend going another way when they face the blocked prairie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
2. How does Tobias die?
3. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
4. How does Zech see Tawanda for the second time?
5. What news does Tawanda have for Zech on his visit to the Seminole village after the cattle drive?
6. How does Bonnie die?
7. How has the price of cattle grown in 1892, and what important land decision does Zech make after the cattle drive?
8. What event in 1892 causes Tobias to wonder about the future of the cattle driving business?
9. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
10. What events change Sol's mind about land development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 3
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)