|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tobias continue to store the gold that he receives for the cattle?
2. Where is Zech shot during the battle with the cattle rustlers?
3. What does the medicine man in the Seminole village use to remove the bullet?
4. Where does Sol build his mansion?
5. Where is the first vacation that Zech, Glenda, and Sol have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how is Zech killed?
2. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
3. How does Bonnie die?
4. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
5. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
6. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
7. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
8. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
9. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
10. How does Tobias die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the advice that Zech gives to Sol after Glenda dies. What are his reasons for the warning he gives Sol? Use the book as a reference to provide examples that explain why Zech looks at life the way he does at this point in the story. How does Sol follow his father's advice in his own life? Do you agree with the advice given by Zech? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)