|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toby call Sol before he leaves the village?
2. How does Zech respond to Glenda's miscarriage?
3. Who insists that Emma be buried back at the homestead?
4. Where does Zech hire the men to help him deal with the cattle rustlers?
5. When does Sol head the MacIvey State Bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
2. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
3. When and how is Zech killed?
4. What event in 1892 causes Tobias to wonder about the future of the cattle driving business?
5. What events change Sol's mind about land development?
6. What happens when Sol and Toby meet for the second time?
7. How does Bonnie die?
8. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
9. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
10. How does Tobias die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 3
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)