|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zech respond to Glenda's miscarriage?
2. Why does Sol leave the MacIvey homestead?
3. When is Bonnie killed?
4. When does Sol leave the MacIvey homestead?
5. Where does Zech hire the men to help him deal with the cattle rustlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
2. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
3. When and how is Zech killed?
4. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
5. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
6. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
7. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
8. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
9. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
10. What happens when Sol and Toby meet for the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 2
The issue of land rights becomes a major part of the story for the MacIveys. Provide several examples of how the theme of land, ownership, and preservation is portrayed in the book. In addition, include which characters it affects the most and why.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)