|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cows does the MacIvey family have when they reach the market on Glenda's first cattle drive?
2. How does Glenda die?
3. What happens to Glenda during the trip back from Punta Rassa?
4. What does Sol think of Toby with regards to land development?
5. When does Zech die?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
Essay Topic 3
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
This section contains 1,727 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)