|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zech buy for Emma at the mercantile?
2. Where does Sol keep his money?
3. Where do Sol and Bonnie build their home?
4. How does the clerk respond to the amount of money Zech is spending on the land he purchases in Okeechobee?
5. How many acres does Zech's plan initially involve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
2. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
3. What changes have happened for the MacIveys when Chapter 29 begins in 1888?
4. How has the price of cattle grown in 1892, and what important land decision does Zech make after the cattle drive?
5. What news does Keith Tiger bring to Zech at the end of Chapter 34, and how does he respond?
6. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
7. How does Bonnie die?
8. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
9. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
10. When and how is Zech killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 3
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)