|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many orange trees does Zech purchase in Fort Dallas?
2. How does Tawanda die?
3. Besides Florida cities, what other cities does the MacIvey Produce Company supply businesses in?
4. How many cows do the MacIveys have in 1892 when they reach Punta Rassa?
5. What prevents the MacIveys from staying at the Royal Poinciana Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tobias die?
2. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
3. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
4. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
5. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
6. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
7. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
8. What news does Tawanda have for Zech on his visit to the Seminole village after the cattle drive?
9. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
10. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tobias and the Seminole Indians begin a lifelong friendship when they meet in a way that illustrates one of the book's main messages.
1) Describe how the MacIveys and the Seminoles first meet, the circumstances that cause the two families to cross paths, and why the events result in a respect between them both that last for three generations.
2) Analyze Tobias' character and explain what it is about his view of the world that contributes to his actions with the Seminoles.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
Essay Topic 3
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)