|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Zech, Glenda, and Sol buy more orange trees after the winter storms?
2. How many days does the family rest after Glenda's miscarriage?
3. What does Glenda tell Emma in confidence at the end of Chapter 25?
4. Where is Zech shot during the battle with the cattle rustlers?
5. What happens to Glenda during the trip back from Punta Rassa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Tobias give to Zech after the cows are slaughtered?
2. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
3. How does Sol meet Bonnie, and what is interesting about their relationship?
4. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
5. How has the price of cattle grown in 1892, and what important land decision does Zech make after the cattle drive?
6. How does Tobias die?
7. How is the MacIvey story brought full circle in the way the book ends?
8. What event in 1892 causes Tobias to wonder about the future of the cattle driving business?
9. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
10. How does Emma die, and what is Tobias' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 3
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)