|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sol think of Toby with regards to land development?
2. How does Zech respond to the blocked prairie that prohibits trespassing?
3. What does Toby call Sol before he leaves the village?
4. When does Sol head the MacIvey State Bank?
5. How often is Zech planning on purchasing orange trees from Fort Dallas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emma die, and what is Tobias' response?
2. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
3. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
4. What changes have happened for the MacIveys when Chapter 29 begins in 1888?
5. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
6. How is the MacIvey story brought full circle in the way the book ends?
7. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
8. What news does Keith Tiger bring to Zech at the end of Chapter 34, and how does he respond?
9. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
10. How does Bonnie die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)