|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zech hire the men to help him deal with the cattle rustlers?
2. How does Tobias react to his new suit?
3. What does Tobias do to cause the orange trees to bloom successfully?
4. When is Zech's son, Solomon, born?
5. Where is Zech shot during the battle with the cattle rustlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
2. What happens when Sol and Toby meet for the second time?
3. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
4. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
5. How does Zech see Tawanda for the second time?
6. How does Bonnie die?
7. What news does Keith Tiger bring to Zech at the end of Chapter 34, and how does he respond?
8. How does Emma die, and what is Tobias' response?
9. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
10. What is the contrasting way that Glenda and Zech react to Palm Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)