Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between Zech's trip to Fort Drum and the visit by the Seminoles?
2. Where does Sol keep his money?
3. How long ago did Tawana die, according to what Keith Tiger tells Zech?
4. What does Glenda tell Emma in confidence at the end of Chapter 25?
5. What does Sol name his real estate company?
Essay Topic 1
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 2
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the advice that Zech gives to Sol after Glenda dies. What are his reasons for the warning he gives Sol? Use the book as a reference to provide examples that explain why Zech looks at life the way he does at this point in the story. How does Sol follow his father's advice in his own life? Do you agree with the advice given by Zech? Why or why not?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)