|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between Zech's trip to Fort Drum and the visit by the Seminoles?
2. Where does Sol keep his money?
3. How long ago did Tawana die, according to what Keith Tiger tells Zech?
4. What does Glenda tell Emma in confidence at the end of Chapter 25?
5. What does Sol name his real estate company?
Essay Topic 1
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 3
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
This section contains 1,730 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)