|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a cattle drive in 1892, what are the men drilling for, causing Tobias to wonder what will happen when all of the land is purchased?
2. How does Zech die?
3. How long ago had Keith Tiger passed away when Sol visits the Seminole village?
4. How many winter storms threaten the orange trees?
5. What causes the trip back from Punta Rassa to be slower in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tobias die?
2. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
3. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
4. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
5. What events change Sol's mind about land development?
6. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
7. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
8. How does Sol meet Bonnie, and what is interesting about their relationship?
9. How does Emma die, and what is Tobias' response?
10. What news does Tawanda have for Zech on his visit to the Seminole village after the cattle drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 3
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)