|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Chapter 42 begin?
2. When does Sol head the MacIvey State Bank?
3. When does Zech die?
4. How long ago did Tawana die, according to what Keith Tiger tells Zech?
5. What does Glenda tell Emma in confidence at the end of Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events change Sol's mind about land development?
2. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
3. What news does Tawanda have for Zech on his visit to the Seminole village after the cattle drive?
4. How is the MacIvey story brought full circle in the way the book ends?
5. How has the price of cattle grown in 1892, and what important land decision does Zech make after the cattle drive?
6. What happens during Glenda's first cattle drive with the MacIveys?
7. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
8. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
9. How does Bonnie die?
10. Why does Sol decide to leave the MacIvey homestead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)