|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zech respond to the blocked prairie that prohibits trespassing?
2. What does Toby call Sol before he leaves the village?
3. Where is Zech shot during the battle with the cattle rustlers?
4. Where do the MacIveys build a cabin for the trips they make to Punta Rassa?
5. What does Tobias die from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Tobias give to Zech after the cows are slaughtered?
2. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
3. When and how is Zech killed?
4. What changes have happened for the MacIveys when Chapter 29 begins in 1888?
5. How does Emma die, and what is Tobias' response?
6. How does Sol meet Bonnie, and what is interesting about their relationship?
7. What news does Keith Tiger bring to Zech at the end of Chapter 34, and how does he respond?
8. What events change Sol's mind about land development?
9. What is the contrast between Emma and Tobias on Zech's wedding day?
10. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)