|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the MacIvey Produce Company located?
2. When does Zech die?
3. How does Tobias feel about Zech's plan for the land he has worked on?
4. What year do the orange trees finally start blooming?
5. How long does Tobias grieve and ignore the orange trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tobias die?
2. How does Sol meet Bonnie, and what is interesting about their relationship?
3. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
4. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
5. How has the price of cattle grown in 1892, and what important land decision does Zech make after the cattle drive?
6. How does Zech see Tawanda for the second time?
7. What news does Keith Tiger bring to Zech at the end of Chapter 34, and how does he respond?
8. What happens when Sol and Toby meet for the second time?
9. What event in 1892 causes Tobias to wonder about the future of the cattle driving business?
10. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 2
As Tobias learns about the amount of money being given for cows at Punta Rassa, he makes a crucial decision that has a lasting effect on his family's legacy.
1) Describe the MacIveys' first trip to Punta Rassa, how it is interrupted, the way both Tobias and Emma respond to it, and why Tobias is not discouraged after it.
2) Explain what happens on the second trip the MacIveys make to Punta Rassa, including the challenges they face, and Tobias' view throughout the trip.
3) Analyze the decision Tobias makes to pursue the market in Punta Rassa and its importance to the future of the MacIvey family.
Essay Topic 3
In A Land Remembered, the author uses time as a way to tell the story of the MacIvey family.
1) Describe how flashbacks are used and why they are effective in the book by providing examples and your interpretation of Smith's intentions.
2) Explain how time lapses are included, when they are the most significant, and what the gaps in time add to the story.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)