|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Tobias ready to try to go to Punta Rassa again?
2. How many drovers are there to help Tobias and Henry drive the cattle?
3. How many cows do the men lose during the battle with the wolves?
4. What year does A Land Remembered begin?
5. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
2. What is the Cow Cavalry?
3. What happens to the MacIvey family's cattle business, and how does the second encounter with the bull take place?
4. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
5. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
6. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
7. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
8. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
9. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
10. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)