|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma make by grounding cattails?
2. Where is the Big Cypress Swamp located?
3. How is Tobias feeling during the trip to drive the cows to the Seminoles?
4. How much of his land does Solomon plan on preserving through nature, as stated in his will?
5. What is Zech playing with as Emma cooks dinner at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Cow Cavalry?
2. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
3. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
4. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
5. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
6. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
7. What gift does Zech find in the pen, and how do the MacIveys choose to name their new animals?
8. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
9. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
10. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sol and Toby's relationship from the way it began to their last meeting, which occurs at the beginning of the book. Use the entire story as a reference in describing their disagreement, the major differences in how they each view the world, the reasons for those differences, and how they are eventually resolved. Also, include how the author uses irony in this part of the story.
Essay Topic 3
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)