|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
2. After the battle is over, which one of the following is not taken by Tobias from the dead Union soldier's bag?
3. What prize does Zech win in the horse race against Cap'n Hendry?
4. Where have Keith Tiger, Bird Jumper, and Lillie walked to Florida from?
5. What fruit does Tobias learn is being sold for money while he is at a trading post?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
2. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
3. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
4. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
5. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
6. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
7. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
8. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
9. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
10. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 2
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of land rights becomes a major part of the story for the MacIveys. Provide several examples of how the theme of land, ownership, and preservation is portrayed in the book. In addition, include which characters it affects the most and why.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)