Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
2. What does Tobias do to the cowboys after hearing that they hung the Indians?
3. What color is the marshtackie that Zech finds?
4. Where did the McIvey family move from to start their new life in Florida?
5. How much money does Tobias accept from the Indians for the cows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
2. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
3. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
4. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
5. When and how is Zech killed?
6. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
7. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
8. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
9. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
10. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
Essay Topic 1
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)