|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zech meet Glenda?
2. How many acres of orange trees does Tobias plant?
3. How many rooms has the MacIvey house grown by in 1875?
4. How many years has Skillit been drifting?
5. Where is the Big Cypress Swamp located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
2. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
3. What gift does Zech find in the pen, and how do the MacIveys choose to name their new animals?
4. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
5. What is the Cow Cavalry?
6. When do the MacIveys make their second trip to Punta Rassa, and how do they prepare for it?
7. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
8. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
9. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
10. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 2
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 3
In A Land Remembered, the author uses time as a way to tell the story of the MacIvey family.
1) Describe how flashbacks are used and why they are effective in the book by providing examples and your interpretation of Smith's intentions.
2) Explain how time lapses are included, when they are the most significant, and what the gaps in time add to the story.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)