|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Tobias about the money to be made in gator hides?
2. Where does the MacIvey family head after their home is burned down?
3. What prize does Zech win in the horse race against Cap'n Hendry?
4. What does the old man warn Tobias about the swamp area?
5. Where is the Big Cypress Swamp located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Cow Cavalry?
2. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
3. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
4. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
5. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
6. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
7. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
8. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
9. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
10. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
Essay Topic 3
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)