|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Tobias told the cattle is being purchased for before being shipped to Cuba?
2. How is Tobias paid by Cap'n Hendry?
3. Where is the trading post located?
4. How many years has Skillit been drifting?
5. Where have Keith Tiger, Bird Jumper, and Lillie walked to Florida from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
2. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
3. Why do Willie and James travel so far to get cows from Tobias, and what does he charge them for the cattle?
4. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
5. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
6. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
7. What happens when the MacIveys finally reach Punta Rassa?
8. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
9. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
10. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)