Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
2. What does Tobias do to the cowboys after hearing that they hung the Indians?
3. What color is the marshtackie that Zech finds?
4. Where did the McIvey family move from to start their new life in Florida?
5. How much money does Tobias accept from the Indians for the cows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
2. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
3. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
4. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
5. When and how is Zech killed?
6. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
7. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
8. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
9. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
10. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the advice that Zech gives to Sol after Glenda dies. What are his reasons for the warning he gives Sol? Use the book as a reference to provide examples that explain why Zech looks at life the way he does at this point in the story. How does Sol follow his father's advice in his own life? Do you agree with the advice given by Zech? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)