|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the trading post located?
2. What year does A Land Remembered begin?
3. Where does Tobias assume the marshtackie has come from?
4. How much does Tobias receive for the cows he sells to Cap'n Hendry the first time?
5. What story influences the name Tobias gives to the marshtackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the MacIveys finally reach Punta Rassa?
2. When do the MacIveys make their second trip to Punta Rassa, and how do they prepare for it?
3. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
4. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
5. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
6. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
7. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
8. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
9. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
10. What is the Cow Cavalry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
Essay Topic 3
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)