|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the marshtackie that Zech finds?
2. How long is Tobias under the medicine man's care before he is well enough to travel?
3. How is Tobias paid by Cap'n Hendry?
4. What time of day does Tobias attempt to get supplies from the trading post?
5. How many drovers are there to help Tobias and Henry drive the cattle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
2. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
3. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
4. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
5. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
6. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
7. What is the Cow Cavalry?
8. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
9. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
10. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech and Glenda's marriage. How do they first meet? What is the difference between the two families they come from? How is Emma a source of knowledge for Zech throughout his marriage? How is Emma confided in by both Zech and Glenda? What secrets do Zech and Glenda keep from each other, and what are each one's reasons for keeping them?
Essay Topic 2
Tobias and the Seminole Indians begin a lifelong friendship when they meet in a way that illustrates one of the book's main messages.
1) Describe how the MacIveys and the Seminoles first meet, the circumstances that cause the two families to cross paths, and why the events result in a respect between them both that last for three generations.
2) Analyze Tobias' character and explain what it is about his view of the world that contributes to his actions with the Seminoles.
Essay Topic 3
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)