|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the construction of the MacIvey's first primitive house in Florida take?
2. What does the old man warn Tobias about the swamp area?
3. How long has the Civil War been over when Tobias' cattle business begins to take off?
4. When is Tobias ready to try to go to Punta Rassa again?
5. How many dogs are tied close by when Zech finds the marshtackie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
2. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
3. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
4. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
5. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
6. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
7. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
8. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
9. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
10. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Sol and Toby's relationship from the way it began to their last meeting, which occurs at the beginning of the book. Use the entire story as a reference in describing their disagreement, the major differences in how they each view the world, the reasons for those differences, and how they are eventually resolved. Also, include how the author uses irony in this part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)