|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the MacIvey family head after their home is burned down?
2. What story influences the name Tobias gives to the marshtackie?
3. How many drovers are there to help Tobias and Henry drive the cattle?
4. How many dogs are tied close by when Zech finds the marshtackie?
5. What part of Florida is the McIvey's primitive home located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
2. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
3. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
4. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
5. What happens when the MacIveys finally reach Punta Rassa?
6. What happens to the MacIvey family's cattle business, and how does the second encounter with the bull take place?
7. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
8. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
9. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
10. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Tobias learns about the amount of money being given for cows at Punta Rassa, he makes a crucial decision that has a lasting effect on his family's legacy.
1) Describe the MacIveys' first trip to Punta Rassa, how it is interrupted, the way both Tobias and Emma respond to it, and why Tobias is not discouraged after it.
2) Explain what happens on the second trip the MacIveys make to Punta Rassa, including the challenges they face, and Tobias' view throughout the trip.
3) Analyze the decision Tobias makes to pursue the market in Punta Rassa and its importance to the future of the MacIvey family.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
Essay Topic 3
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)