|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres of orange trees does Tobias plant?
2. How much money does Tobias accept from the Indians for the cows?
3. How long have Emma and Zech been hiding in the woods in fear of the Confederate soldiers returning?
4. What time of day does Tobias attempt to get supplies from the trading post?
5. Where does Zech meet Glenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
2. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
3. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
4. What is the Cow Cavalry?
5. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
6. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
7. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
8. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
9. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
10. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 2
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)