|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many drovers are there to help Tobias and Henry drive the cattle?
2. What time of day does Tobias attempt to get supplies from the trading post?
3. What fruit does Tobias learn is being sold for money while he is at a trading post?
4. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
5. Where is the trading post located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
2. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
3. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
4. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
5. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
6. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
7. How does Bonnie die?
8. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
9. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
10. How does Sol meet Bonnie, and what is interesting about their relationship?
Essay Topic 1
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 2
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)