Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
2. What does Tobias do to the cowboys after hearing that they hung the Indians?
3. What color is the marshtackie that Zech finds?
4. Where did the McIvey family move from to start their new life in Florida?
5. How much money does Tobias accept from the Indians for the cows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
2. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
3. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
4. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
5. When and how is Zech killed?
6. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
7. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
8. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
9. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
10. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)