|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the trading post located?
2. What happens the first time Tobias and Zech encounter the bull?
3. When does Tobias finish the pen he is working on?
4. What does Tobias want to trade for supplies at the trading post?
5. Where is the Big Cypress Swamp located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
2. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
3. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
4. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
5. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
6. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
7. What gift does Zech find in the pen, and how do the MacIveys choose to name their new animals?
8. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
9. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
10. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
In A Land Remembered, the author uses time as a way to tell the story of the MacIvey family.
1) Describe how flashbacks are used and why they are effective in the book by providing examples and your interpretation of Smith's intentions.
2) Explain how time lapses are included, when they are the most significant, and what the gaps in time add to the story.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)