|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the construction of the MacIvey's first primitive house in Florida take?
2. Where is the trading post located?
3. How long have Emma and Zech been hiding in the woods in fear of the Confederate soldiers returning?
4. What year does A Land Remembered begin?
5. What sounds keep Tobias awake the night after the family eats the beef roast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
2. What happens to Tobias and Zech on their way to the Seminole Indian village, and why is it symbolic?
3. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
4. How does Tobias learn about Punta Rassa?
5. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
6. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
7. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
8. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
9. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
10. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of land rights becomes a major part of the story for the MacIveys. Provide several examples of how the theme of land, ownership, and preservation is portrayed in the book. In addition, include which characters it affects the most and why.
Essay Topic 2
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)