|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the MacIvey family head after their home is burned down?
2. When does Tobias finish the pen he is working on?
3. What part of Florida is the McIvey's primitive home located?
4. Why are the Seminole Indians that Tobias meets being pursued?
5. What time of day does Tobias attempt to get supplies from the trading post?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how is Zech killed?
2. What is the Cow Cavalry?
3. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
4. Why do Willie and James travel so far to get cows from Tobias, and what does he charge them for the cattle?
5. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
6. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
7. How does Zech see Tawanda for the second time?
8. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
9. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
10. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 3
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
This section contains 2,375 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)