|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing the proprietor gives Tobias?
2. What year is it when Chapter 13 begins?
3. What is the Everglades area known as to the Indians?
4. What is the second job Tobias is forced to do for the Confederates?
5. How long has the Civil War been over when Tobias' cattle business begins to take off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
2. How does Tobias learn about Punta Rassa?
3. What happens when the MacIveys finally reach Punta Rassa?
4. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
5. What has happened at the trading post in St. Johns River to cause such a shortage in supplies, and what is the result of Tobias' trip there?
6. When do the MacIveys make their second trip to Punta Rassa, and how do they prepare for it?
7. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
8. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
9. What happens during the second time Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates?
10. What challenges do the MacIveys face on their way to Punta Rassa for the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
Essay Topic 3
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)