|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of his land does Solomon plan on preserving through nature, as stated in his will?
2. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
3. What fruit does Tobias learn is being sold for money while he is at a trading post?
4. What story influences the name Tobias gives to the marshtackie?
5. What problem does Emma solve for Tobias, pertaining to the orange trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tobias learn about Punta Rassa?
2. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
3. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
4. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
5. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
6. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
7. Why do Willie and James travel so far to get cows from Tobias, and what does he charge them for the cattle?
8. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
9. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
10. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Zech's relationship with Tawanda. How did it begin? What are Zech's reasons for continuing to have a relationship with Tawanda after he is married? Do his actions contradict the way his father lived his life? How does Tawanda die? Why does Zech feel guilty about her death? What statement could the author be trying to make by having her die this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)