|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Skillit from?
2. What do the Indians trade Tobias for some of his bullets?
3. What happens if the cattle are driven too quickly?
4. How much is Tobias told the cattle is being purchased for before being shipped to Cuba?
5. Where are the ships heading as the Federal Troops are intercepting them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
2. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
3. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
4. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
5. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
6. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
7. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
8. What events take place for Tobias and Zech at the Seminole village and how do they present a conflict for them?
9. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
10. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of land rights becomes a major part of the story for the MacIveys. Provide several examples of how the theme of land, ownership, and preservation is portrayed in the book. In addition, include which characters it affects the most and why.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)