Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
2. What does Tobias do to the cowboys after hearing that they hung the Indians?
3. What color is the marshtackie that Zech finds?
4. Where did the McIvey family move from to start their new life in Florida?
5. How much money does Tobias accept from the Indians for the cows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
2. How does Zech deal with the cattle rustlers in 1896?
3. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
4. What leads Sol to visit the Seminole village for the first time and what does he learn there?
5. When and how is Zech killed?
6. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
7. What plan does Zech confide in Emma before the wedding?
8. What does Tobias find when he returns home after his second work experience with the Confederates?
9. How do the oranges reflect the state of Tobias and the MacIvey family after Emma's death?
10. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
Essay Topic 1
In A Land Remembered, the author uses time as a way to tell the story of the MacIvey family.
1) Describe how flashbacks are used and why they are effective in the book by providing examples and your interpretation of Smith's intentions.
2) Explain how time lapses are included, when they are the most significant, and what the gaps in time add to the story.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 2,412 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)