|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Indians trade Tobias for some of his bullets?
2. How many oxen do the Confederate soldiers take?
3. How many times does Tobias attempt to capture an alligator?
4. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
5. What does Emma make by grounding cattails?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What happens to the MacIvey family's cattle business, and how does the second encounter with the bull take place?
3. What happens on the first trip to Punta Rassa and how does Tobias respond?
4. What is the result of Tobias' work for the Confederates in the Cow Cavalry?
5. When do the MacIveys make their second trip to Punta Rassa, and how do they prepare for it?
6. How long is Tobias away with the Cow Cavalry, and what do Emma and Zech defend themselves against while he is gone?
7. What happens when the MacIveys finally reach Punta Rassa?
8. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
9. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
10. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith writes A Land Remembered with descriptions and a subtle change in the perspective of the characters.
1) Describe three examples of the author's use of figurative or descriptive language, why he chooses to use it during those events, and how it adds to the effect of the story.
2) Explain how the point of view shifts from Tobias to Zech to Sol during the book, when the shifts occur, and why they are necessary for the impact of the story.
Essay Topic 2
The custard-apple forest represents a turning point for both Tobias and Zech.
1) Describe the role of the custard-apple forest when it is first introduced and how the timing of its introduction is significant.
2) Explain the changes that are going on in Tobias's life that are displayed by the time spent in the custard-apple forest. What changes is his life getting ready to take that he might not be prepared for?
3) Describe Zech's place in the MacIvey family and in the story when he becomes trapped in the custard-apple forest. What future conflict does it signify for him?
4) Explain what eventually happens to the custard-apple forest and how it relates to the main theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)