|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Skillit from?
2. How many cows does Tobias have at the start of Chapter 13?
3. Where is the Cow Cavalry driving the cattle for the Confederate troops?
4. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
5. What does Tobias buy for Emma after he is paid for the cattle by Cap'n Hendry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another prospect that Tobias is told about in Chapter 15 and how does it work out?
2. How does Glenda die, and what advice does Zech give to Sol afterward?
3. How does Glenda suffer her first miscarriage?
4. What are some of the exciting things happening for the MacIvey family in February of 1880?
5. How does Tawanda react to Zech's marriage?
6. What changes have happened for the MacIveys when Chapter 29 begins in 1888?
7. Why do Willie and James travel so far to get cows from Tobias, and what does he charge them for the cattle?
8. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
9. Where do Sol and Bonnie live, and how does Sol store his money?
10. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
Essay Topic 1
Describe three uses of symbolism in A Land Remembered. For each example, explain when it used, its significance to the overall theme of the book, and what the author is symbolizing.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the women in the book seem to have tragic, unforeseen deaths.
1) Describe how Emma dies and what the reaction of Tobias is along with the rest of the family. What did Emma represent for Tobias, and why is he having difficulty living without her?
2) Explain how Glenda dies and the author's possible reasons for ending the character this way. How did Glenda help Zech fit into the present and future? What does her death signal for him?
3) Describe how Bonnie dies and how her death continues the tragic theme that the author establishes throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ongoing conflict with the cattle rustlers and the author's use of foreshadowing within the events. How does it first begin? What is the motive of the rustlers? How does Zech respond to them initially? What advice does Tobias give his son and why? How is Tobias' advice an example of foreshadowing? What later events complete the foreshadowing? Where and how does the conflict end? What does the reader learn about both Tobias and Zech during their battle with the cattle rustlers?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)