|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Solomon tell Toby that he views his past accomplishments?
2. What is the only thing the proprietor gives Tobias?
3. What does Tobias do to the cowboys after hearing that they hung the Indians?
4. How many men does Tobias hire to help with the drive to Punta Rassa?
5. What do the Indians trade Tobias for some of his bullets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
2. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
3. What happens to the MacIvey family's cattle business, and how does the second encounter with the bull take place?
4. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
5. How do the MacIvey family and the Seminole Indians meet?
6. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
7. How does Tobias learn about Punta Rassa?
8. What is the Cow Cavalry?
9. What are the problems Tobias has when beginning to plant orange trees and how does Emma solve it?
10. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that lead to Willie and James' death. Why do they travel to see Tobias? What is it about the laws that cause them to seek cows from the MacIvey family? What is ironic about the way they die, considering they are trying to follow the law? Also, include how Tobias responds to the deaths and what it depicts in his character.
Essay Topic 2
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail the importance of the setting for the beginning of the MacIvey story. What condition is Florida in when Tobias and his family are first introduced? Where have they come from and why do they choose Florida? What things is the country going through during that time? Why are those events relevant to the way of life in the late 1800s and in what ways do they affect the MacIveys? How does the family react to the world around them and why is that a central theme to the book?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)