|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Everglades area known as to the Indians?
2. What attacks the cows in the swamp area?
3. What have the Confederate soldiers burned down?
4. How many drovers are there to help Tobias and Henry drive the cattle?
5. What sound awakens Tobias one night on his trip to Punta Rassa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Willie and James travel so far to get cows from Tobias, and what does he charge them for the cattle?
2. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
3. How does Zech eat his first beef roast, and what keeps Tobias awake after the meal?
4. What is the Cow Cavalry?
5. What gift does Zech find in the pen, and how do the MacIveys choose to name their new animals?
6. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
7. Where do the MacIveys go after their home is burned down and how do they settle there?
8. How do Zech, Bonzo, and Frog lose the cows they have herded and what is Tobias' response?
9. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
10. What happens to Willie and James, and how does Tobias react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tobias goes to work for the Confederates, he gains things that will lead him to his dream of raising cattle, both in supplies and in experience.
1) Describe the events leading up to Tobias' work with the Cow Cavalry, his time with the Confederates, and what he is given that brings him closer to the goal of raising cattle. Also, include how Tobias' time away causes Emma and Zech to defend themselves and the author's reason for their situation.
2) Explain what happens when Tobias is recruited to work for the Confederates a second time, the main differences between it and the previous time, and what he acquires that will help him in his effort to drive cattle.
3) Describe the way the MacIveys' home is burned down, how the family reacts, and the way it unintentionally inspires Tobias to pursue his dream with even more determination.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses nature to parallel the lives of the MacIvey family in A Land Remembered.
1) Describe three examples of how nature is used to illustrate the cycle of life within the MacIveys.
2) Explain how the setting corresponds to the events that take place throughout the course of the MacIveys' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Tobias' willingness to help others proves to be an integral part of his family's success. Describe three examples of how Tobias' kindness is rewarded later on in his life and how it has a positive effect on the MacIvey family. Using the examples you provide, explain the main point that the author is delivering through Tobias and his acts of kindness.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)