|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tobias want to trade for supplies at the trading post?
2. How does Solomon tell Toby that he views his past accomplishments?
3. What are Emma and Zech forced to kill while Tobias is on the cattle drive?
4. How long is it after they try to catch the bull that Zech finds the marshtackie in the pen?
5. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Tobias, Emma, and Zech migrate to Florida from, and how is their initial few years in the new state?
2. Where does Zech meet Glenda, and what is Emma's advice to him?
3. What is the Cow Cavalry?
4. What year does A Land Remembered begin and what is the setting?
5. What does Solomon ask Toby in the beginning of the book, and what is Toby's response?
6. How does Solomon explain his part in the real estate development to Toby?
7. What is the valuable advice that Keith Tiger gives to Tobias at the end of Chapter 9?
8. How is Tobias recruited by the Confederates, and where do they drive the cattle?
9. How does Solomon feel about the way the city has changed as a result of the real estate projects?
10. What does Tobias do as soon as he arrives home after speaking with Keith Tiger, and what happens when he and Zech encounter a bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the advice that Zech gives to Sol after Glenda dies. What are his reasons for the warning he gives Sol? Use the book as a reference to provide examples that explain why Zech looks at life the way he does at this point in the story. How does Sol follow his father's advice in his own life? Do you agree with the advice given by Zech? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Tobias and Emma change as a result of the success the family enjoys from the cattle and orange businesses. Using the entire book to provide examples, analyze the way each one of them changes, as well as the similarities and differences in their response to success.
Essay Topic 3
A Land Remembered chronicles three generations of the MacIvey family.
1) Compare and contrast Tobias with Zech and Sol, analyzing how they each viewed the world, and how they changed with each generation.
2) Describe three major similarities between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
3) Describe three major differences between Tobias, Zech, and Sol in how they choose to live their lives.
4) Explain how the MacIveys' story comes full circle at the end of the book and what a possible future holds for the family's name and land.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)