|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Big Cypress Swamp located?
(a) Near Pompano Beach.
(b) Near Lane Cove.
(c) Near Fort Myers.
(d) Near the Everglades.
2. How long have Emma and Zech been hiding in the woods in fear of the Confederate soldiers returning?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
3. What is Zech playing with as Emma cooks dinner at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Wooden soldiers.
(b) A club.
(c) A whip.
4. When is Tobias ready to try to go to Punta Rassa again?
(a) The next fall.
(b) The next summer.
(c) The next winter.
(d) The next spring.
5. Where does the MacIvey family head after their home is burned down?
6. What forces the MacIveys to turn back on their first trip to Punta Rassa?
(b) The Confederates.
(c) A hurricane.
(d) A storm.
7. What does Tobias kill to provide Zech with the first beef he has ever eaten?
(a) A deer.
(b) A cow.
(c) An ox.
(d) A bull.
8. What does Tobias collapse from while staying with the Seminoles?
(a) Food poisoning.
(d) The flu.
9. What sounds keep Tobias awake the night after the family eats the beef roast?
10. What year does the story change to when Tobias MacIvey is introduced?
11. What does Emma tell Zech about Glenda?
(a) Wait as long as possible before seeing her again.
(b) Not to wait too long to see her again.
(c) He should not try to write to her.
(d) He should try to write to her.
12. What is the second job Tobias is forced to do for the Confederates?
(a) Build living quarters.
(b) Recruit soldiers.
(c) Cut logs.
(d) Drive cattle.
13. What does the old man warn Tobias about the swamp area?
(a) It has never been crossed.
(b) There is an unknown monster living in it.
(c) Men have disappeared there.
(d) It is certain death.
14. When does Tobias finish the pen he is working on?
(a) At the end of the spring.
(b) At the end of the fall.
(c) At the end of the winter.
(d) At the end of the summer.
15. How long is Tobias under the medicine man's care before he is well enough to travel?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Cow Cavalry driving the cattle for the Confederate troops?
2. How many men does Tobias hire to help with the drive to Punta Rassa?
3. What letters are on top of the LaFlorida Hotel?
4. What attacks the cows in the swamp area?
5. How many oxen do the Confederate soldiers take?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)