|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing Renard is ashamed of when he meets Nelson?
2. What does Josephine do when she does not want her kids hearing her?
3. How old is Jackie?
4. What do Mama, Daddy, and Aunt Ruby wear to relax?
5. Why do Evelyn and Ruby go to Dufon's Oyster Shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Evelyn says that Renard completes her. What example does she give?
2. What does Renard mean when he says there are different ways to leave a person?
3. What images are the most clear when Jackie reflects upon her previous house?
4. Describe Evelyn's adult relationship with her sister Ruby.
5. What has Jackie thought of throughout her life when she has a tough decision to make?
6. Why does Jackie feel Sybil is being condescending when Sybil kisses her cheek?
7. What does it mean when Sybil states that crack is not complicated?
8. Why are Evelyn and Ruby so judgmental of Renard's appearance when they meet him?
9. What does Jackie like the most about her new job?
10. Why does Renard believe he would not qualify for a good job if he enlisted in the war efforts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jackie has felt chronic grief since Terry left her. Write an essay citing the ways Wilkerson Sexton both subtly and directly shares with the reader that Jackie is in a depression.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the significance of Nancy Reagan, an affluent white woman, posing with a young black child on a Just Say No billboard in the housing projects.
Essay Topic 3
Women are a larger part of the workforce in the 1986 story timeline. Write an essay expounding on what Jackie's father, Renard, means when he says that women are mad about not being able to mind their own children.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)