• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Wilkerson Sexton, Margaret. A Kind of Freedom. Counterpoint, 2017. 1st ed.
• This story begins in the winter of 1944 during World War II.
• Jim Crow laws in the southern United States continued the racial oppression of African-Americans.
• Evelyn and Ruby are Black sisters who live in the affluent Seventh Ward of New Orleans in Louisiana.
• The social racism of the time dictated that lighter skin was superior; therefore, the light skin Evelyn and Ruby have is deemed special.
• Evelyn is about to be 22 and is in her second year of nursing school at Dillard University.
• Ruby is 20 and attends vocational school nearby, walking there with Evelyn.
• Ruby can be temperamental, so Evelyn has always adjusted her behaviors to make Ruby happy.
• The sisters see Andrew, a young man they know, who comes from a prominent...
This section contains 2,119 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)