|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 17 argue Kierkegaard's The Attack Upon Christendom attacks?
2. When is Concluding Unscientific Postscript published?
3. What is the title of the conclusion of Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
4. Who did Bishop Mynster influence?
5. What does Kierkegaard claim concerning man and the self in The Sickness Unto Death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the existence of man contradict, according to Kierkegaard?
2. In Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion of Fridays, what does Kierkegaard realize about himself?
3. What does Kierkegaard believe about Hegel's world of reason in Chapter 8, Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
4. If you are a Christian, what are you not doing according to Kierkegaard in Chapter 14, Training in Christianity?
5. What does Kierkegaard find outrageous and upsetting?
6. What does Kierkegaard seek about the church at the end of The Attack Upon Christendom?
7. What did Kierkegaard criticize about the sacraments?
8. What does man contain, according to Kierkegaard?
9. What does Kierkegaard critique in Chapter 11, Works of Love?
10. What does Kierkegaard believe about modern Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard examines how Christ is the only true teacher because only he lacks error. Examine the illustration that Kierkegaard uses to demonstrate this belief and analyze its purpose. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine what Christianity means for Kierkegaard. Compare his view of Christianity with that of paganism and pre-Christian religions. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Kierkegaard focuses on works of love and how these are necessary for the Christian. Examine the Epistle of James and how this Scripture supports Kierkegaard's belief in the works of love and a Christian practical ethic.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)