|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is still famous for maintaining the doctrine of Justification by Faith against the Catholic view of merit and indulgence?
2. What period do The Journals cover?
3. What does Kierkegaard argue cannot be improved or hurt by social organization?
4. What does Kierkegaard argue Christendom is ruled by?
5. How does Kierkegaard describe what Christians call sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kierkegaard criticize about the sacraments?
2. Why is Kierkegaard biased about the press?
3. In Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion of Fridays, what does Kierkegaard realize about himself?
4. What does Kierkegaard say Christianity offends?
5. Why didn't Kierkegaard write anything between 1851 to 1854 according to Chapter 16, The Journals?
6. How does Kierkegaard define spirit and self in Chapter 13, The Sickness Unto Death?
7. What does Kierkegaard see truth as?
8. What does Kierkegaard critique in Chapter 11, Works of Love?
9. What does Kierkegaard believe about modern Christianity?
10. What does Kierkegaard seek about the church at the end of The Attack Upon Christendom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard discusses Christendom and tries to define Christendom. Examine the objectives of God and how they are realized, using the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kierkegaard's beliefs in the Kierkegaard Anthology and discuss how he influenced theology or psychology. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Kierkegaard discusses the hazards in newspapers and in media. Discuss why the press is considered the heart of the public, yet appeals to the worst in humanity. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)