|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard think The Sickness Unto Death contains too much of?
2. What does Kierkegaard use the book review for?
3. What religion does Robert Bretall in Chapter 11 say Kierkegaard follows?
4. Who is still famous for maintaining the doctrine of Justification by Faith against the Catholic view of merit and indulgence?
5. What does Kierkegaard argue is required to be Christ's contemporary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kierkegaard divide history in Chapter 9, The Present Age?
2. What does man contain, according to Kierkegaard?
3. What, according to Kierkegaard, can generate true knowledge of the validity of Christianity?
4. What does it mean to be a Christian according to Kierkegaard?
5. What does Kierkegaard say Christianity offends?
6. What does Kierkegaard see truth as?
7. What does Kierkegaard critique in Chapter 11, Works of Love?
8. What must individuality be separated from according to Chapter 8, Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
9. How does Kierkegaard define spirit and self in Chapter 13, The Sickness Unto Death?
10. What does the existence of man contradict, according to Kierkegaard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard refutes the philosophy of Hegel and though he may admire Hegel's intellect, Kierkegaard thought he contradicted himself. Discuss the differences and similarities between Hegel and Kierkegaard. Use the text to support your comparison.
Essay Topic 2
Kierkegaard frequently wrote under pseudonyms. Discuss why Kierkegaard used pseudonyms to present different points of views and philosophical exposition. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kierkegaard's view of Socrates and examine similarities between Socrates and Kierkegaard. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)