|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first volume of Either/Or?
2. What does Kierkegaard call faith?
3. What topic does Either/Or end with?
4. Who is Regina Olsen?
5. Which of the Two Edifying Discourses does Kierkegaard prefer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who had an enormous influence on German philosophy, and what do many intellectuals agree on?
2. What words of Christ was Kierkegaard aware of in Chapter 1,The Journals?
3. If you are a Christian, what are you not doing according to Kierkegaard in Chapter 14, Training in Christianity?
4. What does Kierkegaard publish at the beginning of Chapter 2, Either/Or, A Fragment of Life and why does it represent him well?
5. In Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion of Fridays, what does Kierkegaard realize about himself?
6. How does the young hero depicted in Chapter 5, Repetition, resonate with Kierkegaard?
7. What does Kierkegaard declare of truth?
8. What is the terrible revolution which Kierkegaard speaks of in Chapter 1, The Journals?
9. What does Kierkegaard turn away from in Chapter 1, The Journals?
10. What did Kierkegaard have a radical hatred for?
Essay Topic 1
Examine what Christianity means for Kierkegaard. Compare his view of Christianity with that of paganism and pre-Christian religions. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Kierkegaard's relationship with Regina and discuss what prevented him from continuing his relationship. Discuss why he believed he manipulated her into falling in love with him. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kierkegaard's view of Socrates and examine similarities between Socrates and Kierkegaard. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)