|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main theme of Fear and Trembling?
2. What is Kierkegaard aware of in The Journals?
3. What do truth and art require according to Fear and Trembling?
4. What pseudonym does Kierkegaard use to publish Either/Or?
5. What does Kierkegaard say he cannot do with Regina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme do the letters prefigure?
2. Who is Regina Olsen?
3. What is the terrible revolution which Kierkegaard speaks of in Chapter 1, The Journals?
4. What did Kierkegaard have a radical hatred for?
5. What is the question raised in Chapter 6, Philosophical Fragments?
6. What does Kierkegaard feel about the gifts God gives his family?
7. How is truth discovered according to Two Edifying Discourses?
8. What words of Christ was Kierkegaard aware of in Chapter 1,The Journals?
9. What three stages does Kierkegaard introduce in Chapter 7, Stages on Life's Way?
10. What does the truth or art require in Chapter 4, Fear and Trembling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard refutes the philosophy of Hegel and though he may admire Hegel's intellect, Kierkegaard thought he contradicted himself. Discuss the differences and similarities between Hegel and Kierkegaard. Use the text to support your comparison.
Essay Topic 2
Practice in Christianity exposes Kierkegaard's belief regarding the religious individual, particularly in imitating Christ to become a Christian, as well as the paradox of the incarnation. Examine Kierkegaard's definition of a Christian, using the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Kierkegaard discusses Christendom and tries to define Christendom. Examine the objectives of God and how they are realized, using the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)