|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shall not fall to the ground without the will of the Father according to The Journals?
2. What does Kierkegaard argue the truth is outside of?
3. When were the last of Kierkegaard aesthetic writings published according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 7?
4. What prevents the hero in Repetition from finding what he wants?
5. What does Robert Bretall say is difficult to discern in Kierkegaard's writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard see truth as?
2. What, according to Kierkegaard, can generate true knowledge of the validity of Christianity?
3. What do we always place consciousness in, according to Kierkegaard?
4. Who had an enormous influence on German philosophy, and what do many intellectuals agree on?
5. In Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion of Fridays, what does Kierkegaard realize about himself?
6. What does Kierkegaard say about the individual?
7. What is life according to Kierkegaard?
8. What did Kierkegaard criticize about the sacraments?
9. What words of Christ was Kierkegaard aware of in Chapter 1,The Journals?
10. What did Kierkegaard distinguish between in Chapter 2, Either/Or, A Fragment of Life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Kierkegaard defines the spirit and the self and how man contains both the infinite and the finite. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kierkegaard's view of Socrates and examine similarities between Socrates and Kierkegaard. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Practice in Christianity exposes Kierkegaard's belief regarding the religious individual, particularly in imitating Christ to become a Christian, as well as the paradox of the incarnation. Examine Kierkegaard's definition of a Christian, using the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)