|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Either/Or are the edifying discourses published?
2. What does Kierkegaard do before leaving for Berlin at the star of Either/Or?
3. What does Kierkegaard feel about the prevalent ideas about the universe and distinction?
4. How long does it take Kierkegaard to write Fear and Trembling?
5. What pseudonym does Kierkegaard use to write the second piece of Stages on Life's Way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question raised in Chapter 6, Philosophical Fragments?
2. What does Kierkegaard say about truth not being within ourselves in Chapter 6, Philosophical Fragments?
3. What is life according to Kierkegaard?
4. How is truth discovered according to Two Edifying Discourses?
5. What do we always place consciousness in, according to Kierkegaard?
6. What does the Knight of Faith do in Chapter 4, Fear and Trembling?
7. What banquet is referred to in Chapter 7, Stages on Life's Way?
8. Who is Regina Olsen?
9. What did Kierkegaard have a radical hatred for?
10. What does Kierkegaard turn away from in Chapter 1, The Journals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kierkegaard frequently wrote under pseudonyms. Discuss why Kierkegaard used pseudonyms to present different points of views and philosophical exposition. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Kierkegaard focuses on works of love and how these are necessary for the Christian. Examine the Epistle of James and how this Scripture supports Kierkegaard's belief in the works of love and a Christian practical ethic.
Essay Topic 3
Reflect how Kierkegaard rejects and critiques central Protestant teaching and why his beliefs resonate more with the Catholic church and monastic life. Use the text to provide examples in your discussion.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)