|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does The Sickness Unto Death define?
(a) The self.
(c) The spirit and the self.
(d) Love and hatred.
2. Who is still famous for maintaining the doctrine of Justification by Faith against the Catholic view of merit and indulgence?
(a) The Pope.
(b) The head of the Denmark State Church.
(c) Martin Luther.
(d) The Anglican Church.
3. What is the central concept of Training in Christianity?
(a) How to mimic the apostles.
(b) Being "contemporaneous with Christ."
(c) Love Christ without question.
(d) Follow the church dogma to the letter.
4. What does Kierkegaard realize in "Rest at the foot of the altar"?
(a) That he teaches without authority.
(b) Regina did not love him.
(c) He was wrong about Christ.
(d) Catholicism is better for the average man.
5. What period do The Journals cover?
(a) 1851 to 1856.
(b) 1856 to 1859.
(c) 1851 to 1854.
(d) 1845 to 1856.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard argue is the heart of the public?
2. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 11 say about the views of Kierkegaard on Christianity the year before he dies?
3. What does Kierkegaard argue Christendom is ruled by?
4. What does Kierkegaard think Bishop Mynster did not witness?
5. What does Christ's contemporary accept Christ despite of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kierkegaard criticize about the sacraments?
2. What, according to Kierkegaard, can generate true knowledge of the validity of Christianity?
3. How does Kierkegaard define spirit and self in Chapter 13, The Sickness Unto Death?
4. How does Kierkegaard divide history in Chapter 9, The Present Age?
5. What does Kierkegaard find outrageous and upsetting?
6. Who died in 1854 in Chapter 17, The Attack Upon Christendom, and how was this person remembered?
7. What does Kierkegaard claim happens when we relate to our true selves?
8. What does Kierkegaard aim to do in Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion on Fridays?
9. What does Kierkegaard say about the individual?
10. What does Kierkegaard see truth as?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)