|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of text does Kierkegaard routinely publish under his own name according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 10?
2. What does Kierkegaard's work focus on?
(a) How to sever our link to the organized church.
(b) How to love Christ.
(c) What it means to be a Christian in a Christian society.
(d) How to be a better person.
3. Who does Bishop Mynster's eulogy compare him to?
(d) The apostles.
4. Who is still famous for maintaining the doctrine of Justification by Faith against the Catholic view of merit and indulgence?
(a) The head of the Denmark State Church.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The Anglican Church.
5. Who is the criticism of Kierkegaard targeted at?
(a) The Denmark State Church.
(b) The whole Christian world.
(d) Bishop Mynster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the central concept of Training in Christianity?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Robert Bretall argue 1848 is for Kierkegaard's writing?
3. What period do The Journals cover?
4. Who was Bishop Mynster?
5. What does Kierkegaard think Bishop Mynster did not witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard say Christianity offends?
2. What, according to Kierkegaard, can generate true knowledge of the validity of Christianity?
3. What does Kierkegaard find outrageous and upsetting?
4. How does Kierkegaard define spirit and self in Chapter 13, The Sickness Unto Death?
5. What does Kierkegaard express his hatred of in Chapter 15, The Journals?
6. In Chapter 15, Two Discourses at the Communion of Fridays, what does Kierkegaard realize about himself?
7. What does Kierkegaard say about the individual?
8. What does man contain, according to Kierkegaard?
9. What does Kierkegaard see truth as?
10. What does the existence of man contradict, according to Kierkegaard?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)