|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard know about himself in The Journals?
(a) He is a fraud.
(b) He loves God.
(c) He is both great and small.
(d) He is mistaken.
2. What does Kierkegaard meditate on in Fear and Trembling?
(a) The resurrection.
(b) Abraham's call to kill his son Isaac.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) The incarnation.
3. What does Kierkegaard argue is merely foreshadowed in Stages on Life's Way?
4. How long does it take Kierkegaard to write Fear and Trembling?
(a) 5 months.
(b) Less than 60 days.
(c) 35 days.
(d) 2 years.
5. What does Kierkegaard attempt to do according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 5?
(a) Act as honestly as possible.
(b) Attend church.
(c) Love himself.
(d) Marry Regina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kierkegaard's pseudonym in Repetition?
2. What does Kierkegaard argue the truth is outside of?
3. What does Kierkegaard's pseudonymous writing tell part of?
4. Where does The Journals say Kierkegaard was on July 29, 1835?
5. With what book does Kierkegaard's work reach maturity according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard believe about truth in Two Edifying Discourses?
2. Where does Kierkegaard find himself, and what is he doing in Chapter 1, The Journals?
3. What theme do the letters prefigure?
4. What does Kierkegaard believe cannot be escaped by us?
5. What does the Knight of Faith do in Chapter 4, Fear and Trembling?
6. What three stages does Kierkegaard introduce in Chapter 7, Stages on Life's Way?
7. What passage from the Bible does Kierkegaard focus on in Chapter 4, Fear and Trembling?
8. What does Kierkegaard publish at the beginning of Chapter 2, Either/Or, A Fragment of Life and why does it represent him well?
9. What do we always place consciousness in, according to Kierkegaard?
10. What does Kierkegaard say about humanity?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)