|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard say of the truth that teaches and builds up the human person in Two Edifying Discourses?
(a) It is the only truth that can make a difference in our lives.
(b) It is the only truth worth having.
(c) It is useless.
(d) It is one truth among many.
2. What does Kierkegaard say truth is constituted of?
(a) Faith and events.
(b) The word of Christ.
(c) Parts that may initially seem at odds.
3. What is Kierkegaard letting himself do at the start of The Journals?
(a) Remain silent.
(b) Pass out of himself.
(c) Indulge himself with food.
(d) Worship Christ.
4. What does Kierkegaard's pseudonymous writing tell part of?
(a) His thoughts on aspects of his philosophy.
(b) Hegel's views.
(c) Regina's views.
(d) Socrates' views.
5. What does Kierkegaard argue life is?
(a) The time between our acceptance of the love of Christ and our death.
(b) A series of moments.
(c) The time between our birth and our death.
(d) A series of stark choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does The Journals say Kierkegaard was on July 29, 1835?
2. Where in Either/Or are the edifying discourses published?
3. What does Kierkegaard think what his family receives is?
4. What does Kierkegaard think his family received?
5. What does Repetition have that lacks in many of Kierkegaard's works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we always place consciousness in, according to Kierkegaard?
2. What passage from the Bible does Kierkegaard focus on in Chapter 4, Fear and Trembling?
3. What must the individual Christian see in Chapter 3, Two Edifying Discourses?
4. How is truth discovered according to Two Edifying Discourses?
5. What is inverted, according to Kierkegaard?
6. How does the young hero depicted in Chapter 5, Repetition, resonate with Kierkegaard?
7. What do those at the banquet held in Chapter 7, Stages on Life's Way find?
8. What is the terrible revolution which Kierkegaard speaks of in Chapter 1, The Journals?
9. What does Kierkegaard feel about the gifts God gives his family?
10. Who had an enormous influence on German philosophy, and what do many intellectuals agree on?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)