|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 10 say the pseudonymous work aims at?
(a) Tells people the truth without fear of retaliation.
(b) Captures Kierkegaard the man.
(c) Talks about the failures of Christianity.
(d) Convinces people to convert.
2. What do Two Discourses and Works of Love have in common according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 15?
(a) They were both self published.
(b) They were both part of the same collection of work.
(c) They complement each other.
(d) They were both published in 1854.
3. What does Kierkegaard say of Two Discourses in his work?
(a) A reflection of his movement from Either/Or to "rest at the foot of the altar."
(b) The start of a switch in writing style.
(c) The last piece of the puzzle.
(d) The first part of a trilogy.
4. What do many Catholics argue Kierkegaard would have done had he lived?
(a) Convert to Catholicism.
(b) Write another book.
(c) Become a priest.
(d) Reject Christ.
5. What is the title of the conclusion of Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
(a) The Journals.
(b) Seducer's Diary.
(c) How to become a Protestant.
(d) How to become a Christian.
6. When does Bishop Mynster die?
7. Who did Kierkegaard receive communion from on his death bed?
(a) A layman.
(b) A bishop.
(c) A priest.
8. What novel does Robert Bretall in Chapter 9 say Kierkegaard reviewed after the publication of Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
(a) The two ages.
(b) The two towers.
(c) How to get faith.
(d) Ages and faith.
9. Who is the criticism of Kierkegaard targeted at?
(a) Bishop Mynster.
(b) The Denmark State Church.
(c) The whole Christian world.
10. Who was Bishop Mynster?
(a) A friend fo the family.
(b) A rival writer.
(c) Denmark's head bishop.
(d) Kierkegaard's editor.
11. What does Hegel think truth is according to Chapter 8?
(b) Christ's love.
(c) That men need to know Christ.
(d) A whole.
12. What are Kierkegaard's political views?
(a) He is apolitical.
13. When is Concluding Unscientific Postscript published?
14. Whose death does Kierkegaard await when writing The Journals?
(b) His own.
(c) Bishop Mynster.
(d) His father's.
15. Who does Kierkegaard argue a Christian must follow despite his being rejected by the world?
(a) The church.
(b) His writings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard think of Bishop Mynster's sermons?
2. What does Kierkegaard argue is required to be Christ's contemporary?
3. Which of Freud's ideas does Kierkegaard prefigure in The Sickness Unto Death?
4. What does Kierkegaard argue antiquity was ruled by?
5. What is Kierkegaard running out of while writing The Journals?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)