|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Freud's ideas does Kierkegaard prefigure in The Sickness Unto Death?
(a) Dream interpretation.
(b) Death instinct.
(d) Oedipus complex.
2. Who was Bishop Mynster?
(a) A rival writer.
(b) Denmark's head bishop.
(c) A friend fo the family.
(d) Kierkegaard's editor.
3. What does Kierkegaard's work focus on?
(a) How to sever our link to the organized church.
(b) What it means to be a Christian in a Christian society.
(c) How to be a better person.
(d) How to love Christ.
4. Who does Kierkegaard argue rules in the modern age?
(a) The public.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Robert Bretall argue 1848 is for Kierkegaard's writing?
(a) The year he realizes he still loves Regina.
(b) The year he starts doubting Christ.
(c) The height of his productivity.
(d) The year of his first commercial success.
6. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 17 argue Kierkegaard's The Attack Upon Christendom attacks?
(a) Kierkegaard's past view on Christianity.
(b) Bishop Mynster.
(c) Danish State Church.
(d) The whole of Christianity.
7. What period do The Journals cover?
(a) 1845 to 1856.
(b) 1851 to 1856.
(c) 1851 to 1854.
(d) 1856 to 1859.
8. What does Kierkegaard argue a Christian needs to be?
(a) A follower.
(b) An Apostle.
(c) A prophet.
(d) A leader.
9. What does Kierkegaard think Bishop Mynster did not witness?
(a) The love of christ.
(b) The truth.
(c) A miracle.
(d) The light.
10. What does Kierkegaard argue must be separated from society and reason?
11. Who did Kierkegaard receive communion from on his death bed?
(b) A layman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A bishop.
12. Who does The Sickness Unto Death argue the person is?
(a) The son of Christ.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A spirit.
13. According to Robert Bretall in Chapter 11, what does Kierkegaard see the truth as?
(a) The word of Christ.
(b) A noble goal.
(c) What moves toward unity or the complete.
(d) An illusion.
14. What does Kierkegaard think The Sickness Unto Death contains too much of?
(b) References to Christ.
(c) Discussion to effectively use rhetoric.
(d) Long sentence.
15. What does Kierkegaard argue cannot be improved or hurt by social organization?
(b) An individual's value.
(c) The law.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kierkegaard define truth in Concluding Unscientific Postscript?
2. What does Hegel think truth is according to Chapter 8?
3. Who wrote the preface of Two Discourses?
4. When does Bishop Mynster die?
5. What does Kierkegaard argue people think about Christ teachings?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)