|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard aim to reduce with Two Discourses and Works of Love?
(a) The gap between men and women.
(b) The gap between Catholics and Protestants.
(c) The gap between the church and the people.
(d) The gap between the orthodox and the modern.
2. What does Kierkegaard's work focus on?
(a) How to be a better person.
(b) How to love Christ.
(c) How to sever our link to the organized church.
(d) What it means to be a Christian in a Christian society.
3. What are Kierkegaard's political views?
(b) He is apolitical.
4. What does Kierkegaard think Bishop Mynster did not witness?
(a) The love of christ.
(b) The light.
(c) The truth.
(d) A miracle.
5. Who does The Sickness Unto Death argue the person is?
(a) A ghost.
(c) A spirit.
(d) The son of Christ.
6. Who does Kierkegaard argue rules in the modern age?
(c) The public.
7. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 14 say Kierkegaard thinks of Training in Christianity?
(a) It is weak.
(b) It is too long.
(c) It does not go far enough.
(d) It is his favorite work.
8. Who did Bishop Mynster influence?
(b) Kierkegaard himself.
(c) Kierkegaard's father.
9. What does Kierkegaard argue cannot be improved or hurt by social organization?
(c) An individual's value.
(d) The law.
10. When is Concluding Unscientific Postscript published?
11. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 11 say about the views of Kierkegaard on Christianity the year before he dies?
(a) He will be disillusioned.
(b) He will think that Christianity is stronger than ever.
(c) He will reject Christ.
(d) He will convert to Catholicism.
12. What does Kierkegaard argue the present is ruled by?
13. What does Robert Bretall in Chapter 11 say Kierkegaard rejects and critiques?
(b) Organized churches.
(c) Many central Protestant ideas.
14. Who was Bishop Mynster?
(a) Denmark's head bishop.
(b) A friend fo the family.
(c) Kierkegaard's editor.
(d) A rival writer.
15. What does Kierkegaard argue antiquity was ruled by?
(d) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the criticism of Kierkegaard targeted at?
2. What does Kierkegaard say of the practice of taking sacraments?
3. Which of Freud's ideas does Kierkegaard prefigure in The Sickness Unto Death?
4. According to Robert Bretall in Chapter 11, what does Kierkegaard see the truth as?
5. What is Kierkegaard running out of while writing The Journals?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)