|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard fight against according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 5?
(a) Subconscious aspects of the self.
(b) The Denmark State Church.
2. What does Kierkegaard distinguish between in Either/Or?
(a) Life and death.
(b) Catholics and Protestant dogma.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Direct and indirect communication.
3. What does Kierkegaard say must stop being the ultimate goal and motivation for life in Stages of Life's Way?
4. What does Robert Bretall think of Repetition?
(a) It is Kierkegaard's best work of literature.
(b) It is a humorist's piece.
(c) It is full of holes in logic.
(d) It is one of the worse works by Kierkegaard.
5. What does Kierkegaard argue life is?
(a) The time between our acceptance of the love of Christ and our death.
(b) A series of moments.
(c) The time between our birth and our death.
(d) A series of stark choices.
6. Which of the Two Edifying Discourses does Kierkegaard prefer?
(a) The first one.
(b) None of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) The last one.
7. What is the name of the first volume of Either/Or?
(a) The Seducer's Diary.
(b) The Rotation Method.
(c) The Square Method.
8. Where does The Journals say Kierkegaard was on July 29, 1835?
9. What does Kierkegaard's pseudonymous writing tell part of?
(a) Socrates' views.
(b) Regina's views.
(c) Hegel's views.
(d) His thoughts on aspects of his philosophy.
10. What pseudonym does Kierkegaard use to publish Either/Or?
(a) Marcus Temporarus.
(b) Sophie Marcus.
(c) Victor Eremita.
(d) Emile Proust.
11. Outside of what does Fear and Trembling not make sense?
(b) Kierkegaard's life.
(c) The Protestant faith.
(d) An asylum.
12. What does Kierkegaard attempt to do according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 5?
(a) Love himself.
(b) Attend church.
(c) Act as honestly as possible.
(d) Marry Regina.
13. What does Chapter 1 say Kierkegaard is conflicted between?
(a) Wonder and despair.
(b) Love and despair.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Wonder and hate.
14. What does Kierkegaard feel about the prevalent ideas about the universe and distinction?
(a) He embraces them.
(b) He doubts them.
(c) He hates them.
(d) He finds them unsubstantiated.
15. What does Kierkegaard give up on according to Robert Bretall Chapter 5?
(b) Marrying Regina.
(d) Going to Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kierkegaard think is the most likely person to understand the ideas in Fear and Trembling?
2. What city does Kierkegaard live in according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 5?
3. What do truth and art require according to Fear and Trembling?
4. What is Kierkegaard letting himself do at the start of The Journals?
5. What is Kierkegaard undergoing after his conversion?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)