|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the meditation in Fear and Trembling illustrate?
(a) Kierkegaard's happiness.
(b) Kierkegaard's love for mistery.
(c) Kierkegaard's regrets.
(d) Kierkegaard's love for Regina.
2. What do many intellectuals agree on in the 19th century concerning the universe?
(a) The Universe is where we are.
(b) The Universe is infinite.
(c) Universe is pure unity.
(d) The Universe is limited only by our love of Christ.
3. What does Kierkegaard say he cannot do with Regina?
(a) Talk religion.
(b) Talk to her about her work.
(d) Share things about himself.
4. What does Kierkegaard give up on according to Robert Bretall Chapter 5?
(b) Marrying Regina.
(d) Going to Church.
5. What does Kierkegaard know about himself in The Journals?
(a) He is a fraud.
(b) He is mistaken.
(c) He loves God.
(d) He is both great and small.
6. What does Kierkegaard meditate on in Fear and Trembling?
(a) The incarnation.
(b) Abraham's call to kill his son Isaac.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) The resurrection.
7. Of what book is a large portion reproduced in Either/Or?
(a) How to love.
(b) Romantic Love.
(c) How to be a Christian.
(d) The Seducer's Diary.
8. Where in Either/Or are the edifying discourses published?
(a) Chapter 5.
(b) Chapter 3.
(c) Chapter 2.
(d) Chapter 1.
9. Which of the Two Edifying Discourses does Kierkegaard prefer?
(a) All of them.
(b) None of them.
(c) The last one.
(d) The first one.
10. What is the main theme of Fear and Trembling?
(c) The encounter between the individual and the universe.
11. What does the hero of Repetition have trouble finding?
(a) A good church.
(d) A true union with the woman he loves.
12. What city does Kierkegaard live in according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 5?
13. What does Kierkegaard think his family received?
(a) A gift from God.
(b) Good luck.
(c) A curse.
(d) An inheritance.
14. What does Stages on Life's Way divide according to Robert Bretall in Chapter 7?
(a) How to love Christ.
(b) Lies and superstitions.
(c) Spheres of existence.
15. What does Kierkegaard say of the truth that teaches and builds up the human person in Two Edifying Discourses?
(a) It is one truth among many.
(b) It is the only truth worth having.
(c) It is useless.
(d) It is the only truth that can make a difference in our lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kierkegaard argue major choices in life are choices of?
2. What do The Journals say Kierkegaard feels?
3. How old is Kierkegaard at the age of his conversion?
4. What does the first piece of Stages on Life's Way cover?
5. What shall not fall to the ground without the will of the Father according to The Journals?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)