|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Kinsey suspect of being responsible for the incident in the Glass's basement?
2. Where was Charlie supposed to have been the night of Sharon's murder?
3. How does Kinsey feel about Charlie's staying the night at her place?
4. Who does Diane say was the only person her father ever really loved?
5. What is the result of Kinsey's phone call to Charlotte Mercer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kinsey go after she has attempted to find out more from Colin about Gwen?
2. The morning after Sharon Napier's death, Kinsey heads to Salton Sea. Who does she meet there, and what does she learn?
3. Kinsey now knows that Gwen killed Laurence but is still puzzled about the deaths of Libby and Sharon. She realizes there must be another murderer. Where does she go, and what does she plan to do?
4. What is the result of Kinsey's last trip to L.A.?
5. When she gets home from Nikki's beach house, Charlie is waiting for Kinsey, but she is not very happy to see him. She agrees to go to dinner with him. What happens at the Ranch House restaurant?
6. After confronting Lyle in L.A., Kinsey goes to the accounting firm where Libby used to work. What does she tell Garry Steinberg that she suspects about Charlie?
7. After visiting Greg Fife, Kinsey goes to see Diane Fife, his sister. What does Diane share with Kinsey about her parents?
8. What does Kinsey do when she returns to the Glass residence the day after the explosion?
9. After her third visit to the Glass residence, Kinsey returns to Santa Teresa and sleeps until 4 in the afternoon. Then she heads to Nikki's beach house. What happens at the beach house?
10. What is the result of Kinsey's going to the Ranch House restaurant with Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the element of challenges add to a work of fiction, in particular, the murder mystery novel? What challenges does Kinsey Millhone face in "'A' Is for Alibi"? Give four examples of challenges, and explain how she overcomes or is defeated by these challenges.
Essay Topic 2
What does authenticity mean when it applies to the writing of fiction? What must be made authentic in the genre of mystery novel writing? Give four examples of specific topics or events that the author has made authentic in "'A' is for Alibi."
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a common element of writing in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in "'A' Is for Alibi" occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)