|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Kinsey put on Nikki's request to investigate the crime?
2. At their second meeting, Charlie and Kinsey talk about the Fife case. Charlie tells her Laurence travelled the week before he died. Where did Laurence go?
3. At the time she is hired by Nikki, what does Kinsey know about Laurence Fife?
4. How does Kinsey travel to Nevada?
5. With the help of a friend, which Nevada city does Kinsey find out Sharon now lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kinsey decide that she will investigate the case for Nikki?
2. Who is Con Dolan, and why does Kinsey go to visit him?
3. Before she agrees to work for Nikki, Kinsey questions her about her marriage to Laurence. What does Nikki tell her? How does Kinsey respond to her?
4. What is Con Dolan's impression of Kinsey's assessment of the Fife case?
5. What happens when Lyle comes over to lunch at the Glasses'?
6. Kinsey meets Nikki for the second time at Rosie's Bar. What is Rose's Bar, and what do they discuss there?
7. After discovering Sharon Napier's whereabouts, Kinsey decides she must visit Los Angeles first. Whom does she go to see there and what does she find out?
8. After her discussion with Charlotte Mercer, Kinsey decides she must find Sharon Napier. How does she do this?
9. How does Kinsey get to Las Vegas?
10. After Nikki writes Kinsey a check for her services, the women talk about Sharon Napier. Who is Sharon and what does Nikki tell Kinsey about her? Whom does Kinsey suggest she herself should talk to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the element of challenges add to a work of fiction, in particular, the murder mystery novel? What challenges does Kinsey Millhone face in "'A' Is for Alibi"? Give four examples of challenges, and explain how she overcomes or is defeated by these challenges.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how dialogue serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from "'A' Is for Alibi" that illustrates each of these elements.
Essay Topic 3
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of "'A' Is for Alibi"? Support your answer with four examples.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)