• Kinsey Millhone is an independent private investigator.
• She lives and works in the town of Santa Teresa, California.
• One day a woman named Nikki Fife is waiting for Kinsey outside her office.
• Kinsey recognizes Nikki from a trial eight years before.
• At that trial, Nikki had been convicted of killing her husband, Laurence Fife.
• She spent eight years in jail.
• Nikki maintains she is innocent.
• Nikki wants to hire Kinsey to find Laurence's killer.
• Nikki had been convicted on the strength of a diary she kept about Laurence's activities.
• She had followed him and recorded what he did because he was cheating on her.
• Kinsey agrees to take the case, but she is not optimistic about the outcome for Nikki.
• Nikki leaves.
• Kinsey goes outside to take a photo for another case and mulls over Nikki's request.
• She remembers that Laurence Fife was a divorce lawyer who...
This section contains 4,209 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)