|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, about how many foot soldiers were there?
2. What did Amanda buy with the extra money she earned as a kid?
3. In Chapter 8, how did Amanda describe the overall smell of Kabul?
4. What did Amanda do in Chapter 6 when a rickshaw driver tried to take her into the country?
5. Where did Amanda meet Nigel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amanda's childhood. How did Amanda view the world even as a small child?
2. What is the Danakil Depression?
3. How are Muslim prayers performed?
4. In Chapter 12, Amanda said, "It is an obvious fact that you can never look ahead with clarity at your own future or anyone else's." What did she mean by this?
5. In Chapter 11, Amanda decided to freelance. What hardships did Amanda face being a freelance writer?
6. What did Amanda and Nigel's captors say when they left a voice mail on Amanda's father's phone?
7. Who was Kelly Barker?
8. In Chapter 4, Amanda and Jamie had to learn some lessons quickly as they traveled. What lessons did they learn?
9. After Amanda received her visa to travel to Afghanistan, why did she begin to have doubts about visiting there?
10. What was Nigel's plan at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amanda had one house she called a House in the Sky. What was this house and how did it get her through her captivity, especially when she was in Dark House?
Essay Topic 2
Amanda had a love/hate relationship with her job as a cocktail waitress. Why did she love, yet hate her job?
Essay Topic 3
Amanda hired a fixer in Somalia. Why did Amanda hire a fixer and what was his role?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)