|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Amanda meet Nigel?
2. In Chapter 17, who did Ali want out of Somalia?
(b) The Ethiopians.
3. In Chapter 19, how far were Amanda and Nigel drive to a new house?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 5 minutes.
4. In Chapter 5, what did Kelly decide to do at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Cut her hair.
(b) Visit Mayan ruins.
(c) Go scuba diving.
(d) Visit Chile.
5. Why did Amanda ask Nigel to go to Somalia with her?
(a) For companionship.
(b) For his expertise.
(c) To share expenses.
(d) She needed an escort.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, who did Amanda meet at her hotel in Mogadishu?
2. Where was Amanda's mother living in Chapter 18?
3. At the end of Chapter 18, what word did Adam use to describe Nigel's sister's state of mind?
4. Sixteen months after the events at the beginning of Chapter 12, how many days did Mellissa Fung spend as a hostage?
5. In Chapter 3, to what part of the world did Amanda decide to travel to for her first trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Muslim prayers performed?
2. When Amanda met staff from National Geographic, what questions did she ask and how did the a photographerr respond?
3. In Chapter 16, what did Amanda see after they passed a checkpoint and the car slowed again?
4. In Chapter 5, why did Jamie and Amanda have to cut short their South American tour?
5. How did Richard Engel, an NBC reporter, get his start?
6. Describe Amanda's childhood. How did Amanda view the world even as a small child?
7. What is the Danakil Depression?
8. In Chapter 9, who were the Afar who lived in a market village on the outskirts of a desert in Ethiopia?
9. How did Amanda's family learn that she had been kidnapped?
10. What was Nigel's plan at the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)