|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how did Amanda describe the overall smell of Kabul?
(a) Garbage and sewer.
(b) Spices and chemicals.
(c) Kerosene, wood smoke, and melting plastic.
(d) Street vendors baking.
2. In Chapter 6, who did Amanda go to Thailand with?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her boyfriend.
3. In Chapter 16, what did Amanda ask to do so she could delete photos from her camera?
(a) Tie her shoe.
(b) Get cream from her purse.
(c) Get something from her backpack.
(d) Get insect repellent.
4. What job did Amanda get when she moved to Calgary?
(a) A writer.
(b) A server.
(c) A student.
(d) A travel agent.
5. As a kid, what did Amanda and her brother do for fun?
(a) Dug in dumpsters.
(b) Played tag.
(c) Broke into houses.
(d) Played baseball.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, where did Amanda travel?
2. What tribe did Amanda persuade Amanuddin to take her to visit in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 18, about how many foot soldiers were there?
4. During the first night of captivity, what emotions did Amanda feel?
5. In Chapter 5, what event cut Amanda's first real trip short?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Amanda decided to freelance. What hardships did Amanda face being a freelance writer?
2. In Chapter 12, Amanda said, "It is an obvious fact that you can never look ahead with clarity at your own future or anyone else's." What did she mean by this?
3. In Chapter 5, why did Jamie and Amanda have to cut short their South American tour?
4. In Chapter 15, what did Amanda say that she wrote weekly?
5. What did Amanda and Nigel's captors say when they left a voice mail on Amanda's father's phone?
6. What is the Danakil Depression?
7. In Somali, what did Amanda wear every day when she left the hotel?
8. How did Amanda's family learn that she had been kidnapped?
9. When Amanda met staff from National Geographic, what questions did she ask and how did the a photographerr respond?
10. In Chapter 9, who were the Afar who lived in a market village on the outskirts of a desert in Ethiopia?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)