|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 30, Amanda noticed the sandals outside the door of the Somali captives were missing. What did Abdullah reply when she asked about their whereabouts?
(a) They ran away.
(b) They were freed.
(c) They committed suicide.
(d) They were killed.
2. The nights she was taken into the desert in Chapter 27, what did Amanda initially fear was happening?
(a) She was going to be killed.
(b) She was going to be abandoned.
(c) She was being sold.
(d) She was going home.
3. Th night the soldiers took Amanda into the desert to kill her in Chapter 27, who said he had saved her from death?
4. In Chapter 25, Amanda was desperate to pass time and make peace with herself. What did she start to do that gave her purpose?
(b) Teaching the soldiers.
5. One day in Chapter 23, Mohammed and Abdullah entered Amanda's room and kicked her. What reason did Jamal give Amanda for the two men kicking her?
(a) They thought she was stupid.
(b) Her mother wouldn't pay a ransom.
(c) They didn't like women.
(d) They thought she was a fraud.
6. At the end of Chapter 34 as Amanda despaired in the darkness, what did she long to feel for even three seconds?
(a) Her mother's arms.
(c) A soft bed.
(d) The sun.
7. In Chapter 29, why did Amanda want to communicate with Skids?
(a) To see if she can see Nigel.
(b) To see if she could get more food.
(c) To see if she could get medicine.
(d) To see if the ransom was paid.
8. In Chapter 33 after their escape, Amanda and Nigel were returned to the Escape House. Who didn't usually concern himself with day-to-day activities?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 43, what did Skids bring Amanda in a plastic bag that he threw into her room?
(b) Two new dresses.
10. In Chapter 23, who did Amanda think ordered that she Nigel to be split up?
(b) Donald Trump.
11. In Chapter 32 after the interrogation when Amanda and Nigel were returned after their escape, Hassam entered the room with a bag. What was in the bag?
(a) Dresses and a notebook.
(c) Medicine and soap.
(d) Chains and shackles.
12. In Chapter 42 after the call with her mother, what was the calmest thought Amanda had had in a long time?
(a) I t would be better to die.
(b) Memories of her childhood.
(c) The end was near.
(d) She was going to be free.
13. In Chapter 33 in what room were Amanda and her captors when they found "documents" in the pocket of her jeans?
(a) The Living Room.
(b) The Prayer Room.
(c) The Dining Room.
(d) The Master Bedroom.
14. In Chapter 38, why did the kidnappers move Amanda and Nigel again?
(a) They were afraid of them escaping again.
(b) The war was getting too close.
(c) They were afraid of Al-Shahab.
(d) They were afraid of being found.
15. When Amanda spoke to her mother in Chapter 42, what did the conversation seem to be?
(a) A new plan.
(b) A ray of hope.
(c) A positive notion.
(d) A farewell.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25 as Amanda sat in her room and contemplated suicide after the rape, what did she look for?
2. What was the name of the new house in Chapter 38?
3. In Chapter 40, Amanda felt a difference in the air as they neared their new destination. What did she know was close by?
4. In the Epilogue, what caused Amanda to leave a class she was attending at the university and run and lock herself in a bathroom?
5. In Chapter 35, Amanda was trapped in a dark room. The only thing she could depend on were her other senses. What did Amanda feel every time she heard footsteps?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)