|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the solicitor's clerk do on Thursday?
2. Where does Dorothy work?
3. Why does the man in the café need to sell his house?
4. What color does Mr. Biswas paint his typewriter?
5. Whom does Mr. Biswas meet in the café?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict that arises between Owad and Anand.
2. How does the Biswas family feel about the purchase of their new home?
3. How does Shama assist with the repairs to the new house?
4. Describe the circumstances and events surrounding the destruction of Mr. Biswas' rose garden.
5. How does Mr. Biswas find and purchase his dream house?
6. What factors contribute to the failure of the farm?
7. How does Mr. Biswas earn his promotion as reporter for the "Trinidad Sentinel?"
8. Describe the estate at Shorthills.
9. What threatens Mr. Biswas' job at the "Trinidad Sentinel"?
10. Describe the final details of the sale of the clerk's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is evident throughout the book. Cite three examples of irony and how it is used to give the reader insight into Mr. Biswas' struggle for freedom and independence. What is Mr. Biswas' attitude towards the ironic events that affect his life? How do they affect his attitude and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influence that English literature and education has on the characters in the book. Choose three characters and describe how an English-based curriculum influences their attitudes early in life. How does Mr. Biswas' love of English literature affect his personal philosophy throughout his life? What difficulties do he and other characters experience that can be attributed to the influence of English literature and education?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors that led to the failure of Mr. Biswas' shop in The Chase. How does Mr. Biswas' attitude towards the Tulsi family influence his business decisions? How might his attitude towards mathematics and literature have affected his ability to run the shop? What other external factors could have affected the success of the shop? Whom could Mr. Biswas have learned from, and what could he have done to make the shop more successful?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)