|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the editor react to Mr. Biswas' free work?
2. Which newspaper offers Mr. Biswas a job?
3. What author does Mr. Biswas favor during the period of time when working conditions at "The Sentinel" become extremely stressful?
4. Who is Basdai?
5. Why does the man in the café need to sell his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Biswas' new job with the Community Welfare Department.
2. Describe Shekhar's life as an adult.
3. How does the Biswas family feel about the purchase of their new home?
4. How does Mrs. Tulsi react to Owad's impending return from England?
5. How does Mr. Biswas earn his promotion as reporter for the "Trinidad Sentinel?"
6. How do the school examinations affect the children of the Tulsi household?
7. How does Mr. Biswas get his first job for the "Trinidad Sentinel?"
8. Who is the "Scarlet Pimpernel", and why are the islanders looking for him?
9. How does Shama assist with the repairs to the new house?
10. Why does the Biswas family leave Mrs. Tulsi's house in Port of Spain after Owad's return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect the division of Mr. Biswas' brothers and sisters had on each character's life. Why might Bipti have made the decision to divide them, and how might it have affected her character throughout the book? How might the death of his father have motivated Mr. Biswas to pursue a better life? What might have happened to Mr. Biswas and his family if his father had been alive to raise the family?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Biswas marries a woman he hardly knows. Discuss Mr. Biswas' relationship with Shama. Describe the attitudes they have towards each other early in their marriage. How does their marriage change when they have children? How does their relationship change when Mr. Biswas buys the clerk's house? By the end of their lives together, do they appear to be content with their relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Collectivism and individualism are two opposing philosophies in the book. Compare and contrast each philosophy and how it affects the characters in the book? Which philosophy is prevalent in the beginning of the book? By the end? What opinion might the author be trying to express about collectivism versus individualism?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)