|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Biswas asked to join the new government agency after the war?
2. Why does the man in the café need to sell his house?
3. After Mr. Biswas completes his house In Book 2, Chapter 3, which relative moves in with him?
4. Whom does Mr. Biswas meet in the café?
5. Where does Dorothy work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Deserving Destitutes Fund cause hardship for Mr. Biswas?
2. How does Mr. Biswas get his first job for the "Trinidad Sentinel?"
3. Describe the estate at Shorthills.
4. How does Mrs. Tulsi's return to Arwacas affect the family left in Port of Spain?
5. Describe Mr. Biswas' new job with the Community Welfare Department.
6. Why does the Biswas family leave Mrs. Tulsi's house in Port of Spain after Owad's return?
7. Describe Shekhar's life as an adult.
8. What does the Tulsi family plan to do in Shorthills?
9. What factors contribute to the failure of the farm?
10. What threatens Mr. Biswas' job at the "Trinidad Sentinel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Biswas suffered from a short period of depression. Describe potential causes for his depression and the effects it has on his character. What factors lead to his depression? How does the depression affect his character? What is the pivotal factor that helps him overcome his depression? What other factors assist him in overcoming his depression?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the manner in which the Tulsi family supported Mr. Biswas. Was their support based on moral obligation, cultural standard or other factors? How does the Tulsi family's support assist Mr. Biswas' success? How does their support contribute to his failings? Cite specific examples of financial, physical, social and emotional support within your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect the division of Mr. Biswas' brothers and sisters had on each character's life. Why might Bipti have made the decision to divide them, and how might it have affected her character throughout the book? How might the death of his father have motivated Mr. Biswas to pursue a better life? What might have happened to Mr. Biswas and his family if his father had been alive to raise the family?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)